(07-28-2015, 04:38 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problems are team wide:

Offense:

- Bad ball security
 - Weird play selection
 - Failure to control line of scrimmage

Defense:

- Can't stop the run
 - No pass rush

Note that the issues on both sides have a common thread - in all four games we got blown off the ball on both lines. Now the 2014 game was a mess from the start when we were running Burkhead out there as a WR and lost Hill by halftime to boot. But even there we saw the same problem of both lines getting owned by the opposition. 

On defense we need to step it up on the DL big time - if we can't get pressure then at least we have to stone the run. On offense (remember this is talking about the line) at least we need to give enough time for short throws and open holes for the RB. 

The weird play selection (like the deliberate non-use of Green for an entire half in 2012) is coaching. The turnover problems go to players needing to be sharp - QB needs to be careful for defenders trying to jump routes and not sail the ball and receivers have to run their routes properly and be in the correct position. Backs have to hang on to the ball no matter what and so on. 

Ultimately this goes back on the coaches a lot as many of these issues go back to proper game preparation. It also goes back on both lines as if the lines do their jobs the rest falls into place more. 

Oh, I agree. Both sides of the ball has let this team down come playoff time, which is why I call it a bubble playoff team. It needs to improve on both sides.

Dalton's high INTs and low everything else in the playoffs tends to get him singled out, but it's a team wide thing that extends to the coaches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Oh, I agree. Both sides of the ball has let this team down come playoff time, which is why I call it a bubble playoff team. It needs to improve on both sides.

Dalton's high INTs and low everything else in the playoffs tends to get him singled out, but it's a team wide thing that extends to the coaches.

Nicely said.  AD is certainly not blameless, but the defense has let the team down in every playoff loss as well.
Reply/Quote
Why does one side (offense or defense) have to get all/most of the blame when in reality it is obvious, both our offense and our defense did not perform as well in the playoffs as they did in the regular season?
 I can think of one game where the defense was close or played as well the past 4 years and that was 2012.

The offense has played worse all 4 years (albeit I do alibi 2014 due to being decimated at TE and WR).

The defense picked up the offense one time and they were the higher ranked units in 2011, 2012 and 2013 but fell short.

Simply, both units shoulder blame for the playoff losses and it closer to being equal blame than many want to admit.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Simply, both units shoulder blame for the playoff losses and it closer to being equal blame than many want to admit.

I posted statistics that show it's not all that close to being equal but for some reason people are more interested in just simple answers.  I can see how being forced to listen to Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis' reheated excuses for over a decade could convince people that football is simple as hell, though.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I posted statistics that show it's not all that close to being equal but for some reason people are more interested in just simple answers.  I can see how being forced to listen to Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis' reheated excuses for over a decade could convince people that football is simple as hell, though.

I think it is very simple. The defense in the regular season far exceeded the offense and I mean top 5 or top 10 defenses in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Simply, they performed  at a lower level and much lower in 2 of those 3 years.

The offense was not as good in 2011, 2012 and 2013 (best year for the offense) in the regular season compared to our defense. Yes, they did play worse, but there were average 3 of the 4 years at best going into playoff games/ The defense on the other hand was considered elite (kind of like Manning) in the regular season so to play average was a huge step down. Add in poor creating turnovers and poor 3rd down efficiency versus the regular season.

They share the blame in my humble opinion more than some like to admit.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote