Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's dose of Schadenfreude
Michael Avenatti has been charged with extortion. Hilarious

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/attorney-michael-avenatti-charged-with-extortion-by-federal-prosecutors-in-new-york/2019/03/25/5b601ad4-4f20-11e9-a3f7-78b7525a8d5f_story.html?utm_term=.2c626150a378
Quote:Michael Avenatti, the high profile critic of President Trump, was charged Monday by federal prosecutors with trying to extort Nike by threatening to issue damaging allegations against the company unless it paid his client millions.

The charges mark the latest and most remarkable chapter in the strange public saga of the California lawyer who has represented Stormy Daniels, an adult-film actress who was paid to keep quiet during the 2016 presidential campaign about her alleged sexual tryst with Trump several years ago.

That case catapulted Avenatti to cable television news fame, but prosecutors now say he threatened to use that platform to extract money from the company.

Authorities charge Avenatti threatened to hold a press conference on the eve of the NCAA basketball tournament to reveal damaging allegations against the firm unless it paid his client $1.5 million and agreed to hire Avenatti and another lawyer for $15 to $25 million to conduct an “internal investigation” into the allegations.

The charging document said that Avenatti proposed another alternative to hiring him to conduct an investigation — “a total payment of $22.5 million from Nike to resolve any claims (the client) might have and additionally to buy Avenatti’s silence.”

Couldn't have happened to a better guy! LMAO
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Based on recent history I don't think this will affect his Presidential asperations.

Who cares if he is an extortionist.  That does not matter as long as he is not a career politician.
He so wanted to be one of those celebrity lawyers. Difference is those guys become celebrities after winning big.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-25-2019, 02:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Michael Avenatti has been charged with extortion.  Hilarious

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/attorney-michael-avenatti-charged-with-extortion-by-federal-prosecutors-in-new-york/2019/03/25/5b601ad4-4f20-11e9-a3f7-78b7525a8d5f_story.html?utm_term=.2c626150a378

Couldn't have happened to a better guy!  LMAO

Aptly titled thread as this does bring a smile to my face.
(03-25-2019, 03:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Aptly titled thread as this does bring a smile to my face.

I feel like the disdain for this man is something that crosses party lines in a way that news like this can unite the country, if only for a brief moment.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
He was arrested less than an hour after this Tweet.

[Image: z1egmcv0vao21.jpg]
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
The idea was the Aventti was going to say something so horrible about Nike that it hurts their image and hurts their stock price. Felonies aside, his first mistake was thinking he could announce something worse than what Nike admits they've been doing for decades.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(03-25-2019, 05:15 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The idea was the Aventti was going to say something so horrible about Nike that it hurts their image and hurts their stock price. Felonies aside, his first mistake was thinking he could announce something worse than what Nike admits they've been doing for decades.

A lot of truth in this.

[Image: 4253121_orig.png]

As an addition, apparently Mark Geragos was a co-conspirator with Avenatti. I don't know anything about this guy, but I wouldn't be surprised based on a cursory look at his profile.