Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Today's win was a culture changing win
(09-27-2021, 04:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There is a big difference between a rivalry game and what this series had become for a few years. The late hits, the animosity, it was brutal. 

I remember at the time when things were at their worst in the series players from the steelers saying they viewed the Ravens as a rival and that is was a hard game but respect was on both sides, but there wasn't a respect for the Bengals. That mindset is what is gone from the younger guys. Sure, they have a rivalry with a division opponent and want to win, but there wasn't any of the late hits and cheap tactics that had been around this series for years. The only pushing and shoving I saw was one time when a steeler DLman pushed Carman after a block was finished. Another OL calmly walked Carman away. 

There was never a time on the board where it was all... ohh it's Ravens week or ohh it's Browns week. And if the players don't turn this back into the big bad boogeyman team from Pittsburgh I think it is a better mindset.

Yes, and you know Tomlin told them to target Carman and try to get him ejected since he knew XFS was injured. Kudos on the non-response.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm still too hesitant to say this team is turned around.
I want to see how things go up to the bye week.
The Bengals should have some winnable games in the next 6 weeks.

Week 4 - vs JAX
Week 5 - vs GB
Week 6 - @ DET
Week 7- @ BAL
Week 8 - @ NYJ
Week 9 - vs CLE

I think the Bengals should be favored in 3 of those games (JAX, DET, NYJ).
If they end up going 3-3 up to the bye week, I'd say that's about expected.
If they do better than that, I'll have more confidence that things really took a jump this 
I will take 5 -4 after 9 games it would be since 2015 we had a winning record  after 9 games I believe 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I will take 5 -4 after 9 games it would be since 2015 we had a winning record  after 9 games I believe 

I would take 5-4, but I'd still be nervous about having a winning record at the end of the season given the second half schedule.

Chargers just beat the Chiefs.
Raiders and Broncos are 3-0 right now.
I'll need to see more of the Chiefs to think the Bengals could beat them.
49ers are playing rather well, just barely losing to GB last night.
GB looks good still.
And then 3 games in the division.

I still don't see a winning record in the second half of the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:04 PM)Cicero Wrote: I’d still like to see them go for the jugular in games like this. One more touchdown would have left no doubt. They still tend to turtle when they get a lead. The killer instinct will come, this team is young and getting hungry.

I have no problem with getting more conservative when up 17 late in the 3rd quarter and our defense controlling the game.

If you are up 17 in a 38-21 shootout then you keep trying to score.  But even the best head coaches in the league will get a lot more conservative up 24-7.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no problem with getting more conservative when up 17 late in the 3rd quarter and our defense controlling the game.

If you are up 17 in a 38-21 shootout then you keep trying to score.  But even the best head coaches in the league will get a lot more conservative up 24-7.

I don’t disagree, this team has a long history of letting opponents stick around. Might be my own conditioning making me think that way. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:19 PM)Trademark Wrote: They did go for the jugular? In the first half they were pushing down the field until that holding call ruined it

They went for it, but didn’t think land the kill shot. Not a huge complaint, just would like to have seen another score. And being the Stealers I would not have minded them running it up a bit.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't like this take... Yes alot of players are new to the Bengals vs Steelers rivalry but a Rivalry game is something instantly understood. These guys have grown up with High School rivalry games and college rivalry games.. we even have rivalry games in pop warner.

Funny you mention pop warner...guess who our rival was way back when. Yup, Stoolers....lol. (over the five years I played, we wound up with a 4 game advantage)

My hatred for the Stoolers goes waaaay back.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would take 5-4, but I'd still be nervous about having a winning record at the end of the season given the second half schedule.

GB looks good still.

I agree that we have a very tough schedule after the bye, but Denver is 3-0 against three teams that are 0-9 (Giants, Jags, Jets).  They might be good, but it is impossible to say based on who they have played.

Raiders are 3-0 with 2 wins in overtime.  Ravens helped them out with some questionable defensive calls.  They got burned multiple times when their all-out blitz could not get to Carr.

Best thing about the Forty-niners is that it is not until week 14.  The odd are against Jimmy Garoppolo lasting that long.  He has only played more than 6 games once in his 8 year career  Garoppolo is one of the better QBs in the league (career 99.1 rating, 26-9 as starter).  If he is healthy the Niners are a legit Super Bowl team.  They have had a top 5 defense each of the last 2 years, but without Garoppolo they are beatable.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, and you know Tomlin told them to target Carman and try to get him ejected since he knew XFS was injured. Kudos on the non-response.

If you believe that... I have no help for you. 

I'm sure they targeted Carman with stunts and to try and beat him but to think that Tomlin said, hey go get the rookie ejected to start a backup is just delusional, uneducated, drivel.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:28 AM)Trademark Wrote: The Steelers today played like the Bengals of old and the Bengals played like the Steelers. I don't recall of a Bengals team to completely dominate a Steelers team in their stadium. The aggression today was amazing too, where Burrow pushed it down the field to Chase before half and they tried to push it down the field again before half but the holding call ruined that. This was a culture changing win, the defense played amazing and Logan Wilson is a ball hawk. Feels good to not fear the Steelers anymore. Who Dey!

Yes, it was a refreshing win. Didn't look like the Steelers knew what team they were facing.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:57 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think most of our players are young enough to not know what the Steelers “rivalry” is about, considering Ben has been crushing us for so long.

So the naïveté to the situation helps us.

Well it also helps that the Steelers QB is spent. I've never seen him look so bad.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: Well it also helps that the Steelers QB is spent. I've never seen him look so bad.

His team didn't help him out either lol

Saw lots of drops where the Receives looked scared of getting hit. Ju Ju left the field probably scared of Von...

The Pig finally got his ha ha
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Think we are over reacting a little here.

Don' get me wrong.  I LOVED this win.  It always feels amazing to beat the Steelers.  But I did not see anything that will "change the culture" just yet.

FINALLY some franchise common sense.

THAT is logic after watching this franchise for the last 30 years.

I remember when this team went 8-0 and everyone thought it was a culture change and a broken thumb brought things back in perspective.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would take 5-4, but I'd still be nervous about having a winning record at the end of the season given the second half schedule.

GB looks good still.

After just 4 wins last year and the division we are in, if we double win total is go 8-9 that would exceed most predictions. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals play their last 6 out of 9 at home. If they can be around .500ish at the midpoint, you can't expect to be set up much better than that.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote:
If you believe that... I have no help for you. 

I'm sure they targeted Carman with stunts and to try and beat him but to think that Tomlin said, hey go get the rookie ejected to start a backup is just delusional, uneducated, drivel.

And if you believe that, you have no knowledge of Stooler history. You think Tomlin wouldn't tell them to try to get Carman upset and get him ejected? The same Tomlin who was fined 100,000.00 for trying to trip Jacoby Jones as he was running down the sideline? The same Mike Tomlin who, according to James Harrison, handed out "envelopes" for dirty hits? The same Mike Tomlin who sent Joey Jerry Porter into the Bengals huddle in a playoff game to stir crap? Talk about uneducated. Mike Tomlin is as dirty as they come.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 08:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And if you believe that, you have no knowledge of Stooler history. You think Tomlin wouldn't tell them to try to get Carman upset and get him ejected? The same Tomlin who was fined 100,000.00 for trying to trip Jacoby Jones as he was running down the sideline? The same Mike Tomlin who, according to James Harrison, handed out "envelopes" for dirty hits? The same Mike Tomlin who sent Joey Jerry Porter into the Bengals huddle in a playoff game to stir crap? Talk about uneducated. Mike Tomlin is as dirty as they come.

This is you right??

[Image: illuminati-confirmed-80mpay.jpg]

If Tomlin was going to get someone ejected why the hell would it be a rookie guard not say... the rookie WR since if he was out and Higgins was out they would only have to deal with Boyd, Tate and Thomas? Carman doesn't even show up on their radar outside of a guy they could try and get off balance with stunts and things he isn't used to seeing. 

If the plan was to get someone ejected, why would he have one of his few healthy starting DL pushing and shoving and risking ejecting with the rookie OL?

Seriously, the **** is broken in your brain to believe that is real life? 

There is a huge difference between, "Hey go out there and bait them into a penalty and get 15 yards so we are closer on a field goal" and "Go out there and push and shove and risk you both getting ejected in the first quarter to get the rookie guard ejected." 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 08:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And if you believe that, you have no knowledge of Stooler history. You think Tomlin wouldn't tell them to try to get Carman upset and get him ejected? The same Tomlin who was fined 100,000.00 for trying to trip Jacoby Jones as he was running down the sideline? The same Mike Tomlin who, according to James Harrison, handed out "envelopes" for dirty hits? The same Mike Tomlin who sent Joey Jerry Porter into the Bengals huddle in a playoff game to stir crap? Talk about uneducated. Mike Tomlin is as dirty as they come.

Rep for the Jerry.....never forget! LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 03:20 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is you right??

[Image: illuminati-confirmed-80mpay.jpg]

If Tomlin was going to get someone ejected why the hell would it be a rookie guard not say... the rookie WR since if he was out and Higgins was out they would only have to deal with Boyd, Tate and Thomas? Carman doesn't even show up on their radar outside of a guy they could try and get off balance with stunts and things he isn't used to seeing. 

If the plan was to get someone ejected, why would he have one of his few healthy starting DL pushing and shoving and risking ejecting with the rookie OL?

Seriously, the **** is broken in your brain to believe that is real life? 

There is a huge difference between, "Hey go out there and bait them into a penalty and get 15 yards so we are closer on a field goal" and "Go out there and push and shove and risk you both getting ejected in the first quarter to get the rookie guard ejected." 

While I agree looking for an ejection is probably over the top, baiting our players into penalties certainly isn't. Don't forget Heyward and Spain's little dust up either. 

Sled's got a bit of a point. They're dirty af and have been since the Knoll era. I don't think we need to rehash all of it (and that's just against us), but these pukes have been dirty for decades, then cry foul when someone dishes it back. See Raiders, LA, and Burfict, Vontaze.

EDIT: it's nice to have guys with a little bit cooler heads out there these days. So far, the players we have picked up the last three years don't seem to fall for that shit.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 04:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There is a big difference between a rivalry game and what this series had become for a few years. The late hits, the animosity, it was brutal. 

I remember at the time when things were at their worst in the series players from the steelers saying they viewed the Ravens as a rival and that is was a hard game but respect was on both sides, but there wasn't a respect for the Bengals. That mindset is what is gone from the younger guys. Sure, they have a rivalry with a division opponent and want to win, but there wasn't any of the late hits and cheap tactics that had been around this series for years. The only pushing and shoving I saw was one time when a steeler DLman pushed Carman after a block was finished. Another OL calmly walked Carman away. 

There was never a time on the board where it was all... ohh it's Ravens week or ohh it's Browns week. And if the players don't turn this back into the big bad boogeyman team from Pittsburgh I think it is a better mindset.

Once the league clamped on those late hits and cheap tactics, the Steelers began to crumble as soon as the enabling was taken away. 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote