Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Todd McShay: "Joe Burrow Makes the Game Slow Down"
(01-07-2020, 09:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: It was 20 years ago, let it go.

As to the Tom Brady comp, it isn't silly at all. I've heard it from analysts and you see it on tape. When you say these comps you aren't saying they are that person because those guys have a lot of intangibles who make them who you are, what you are comping is skill sets. I keep bringing up one play against, I think Alabama, that if you couldn't see the jersey you would have thought it was Brady. He was on the right hash mark the to his left there were two wide. The route combination was a post wheel concept but the outside WR working in broke off the post into a curl and the Wheel route ran clean but was pressed to the boundary a little more than you'd like. Burrow flicks the ball with perfect touch just over the outside shoulder in a place the defender had absolute no play on the ball allowing him to catch it in stride picking up a couple more yards before going out of bounds. 

While Tom Brady doesn't have the greatest arm in the world him and Randy Moss made a great duo while Moss was in NE because of Brady's touch on the deep ball. You hear touch a lot with QB's but what that means is not just placement but trajectory. I hammer on this a lot but it is so important and very rarely gets talked about. QB's who throw flatter trajectory passes on intermediate to deep passes have more interceptions and more batted balls than those who have a better arching ball. Now the issue with this is some guys put too much arch on the ball which causes it to hang in the air letting DB's undercut the receiver. The reason I often mention Tom Brady when talking about Burrow is that Burrow is really good in that intermediate and deep game at putting just the right trajectory on the ball, even into contested catches, to give his WR the best chance to get the ball with the least risk involved. 

Really

And if the time doesn't make you let it go. Take a look at all the household names the Redskins got in those two drafts. Then take a look at the dynasty they were over the next 5 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 01:21 AM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: Not so delusional when you consider the context. The time before last the bengals had 1st overall pick and they didn’t trade back (for all of Saints picks) and that decision put the franchise back five years. Seems understandable that fans would be nervous about passing on similar offer to trade back.

Side note: it’s starting to be silly to read fans comp’ing him to Brady and Peyton. Slow down y’all. There is no doubt Burrow is the best QB in the draft. But possibly a tad premature to do these comps.

The Bengals picked 3rd in 1999, not 1st.

The 1999 draft was a bust because Akili Smith was a bust, not because they didn't take the Saints trade.  If the Browns or Eagles had taken Akili and we wound up with Donovan McNabb, nobody is complaining about passing up the Saints trade.  It's easy to say you should have taken the trade in hindsight when you pick one of the biggest busts in team history.

The Redskins took the deal that year, but didn't dramatically change their fortunes despite getting Champ Bailey and LaVarr Arrington.  The Browns have traded down for a boatload of picks multiple times and went nowhere.  That's because neither team had a QB.  You can win without stockpiling a bunch of picks in a mega trade.  You can't win without a QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 09:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: It was 20 years ago, let it go.

As to the Tom Brady comp, it isn't silly at all. I've heard it from analysts and you see it on tape. When you say these comps you aren't saying they are that person because those guys have a lot of intangibles who make them who you are, what you are comping is skill sets. I keep bringing up one play against, I think Alabama, that if you couldn't see the jersey you would have thought it was Brady. He was on the right hash mark the to his left there were two wide. The route combination was a post wheel concept but the outside WR working in broke off the post into a curl and the Wheel route ran clean but was pressed to the boundary a little more than you'd like. Burrow flicks the ball with perfect touch just over the outside shoulder in a place the defender had absolute no play on the ball allowing him to catch it in stride picking up a couple more yards before going out of bounds. 

While Tom Brady doesn't have the greatest arm in the world him and Randy Moss made a great duo while Moss was in NE because of Brady's touch on the deep ball. You hear touch a lot with QB's but what that means is not just placement but trajectory. I hammer on this a lot but it is so important and very rarely gets talked about. QB's who throw flatter trajectory passes on intermediate to deep passes have more interceptions and more batted balls than those who have a better arching ball. Now the issue with this is some guys put too much arch on the ball which causes it to hang in the air letting DB's undercut the receiver. The reason I often mention Tom Brady when talking about Burrow is that Burrow is really good in that intermediate and deep game at putting just the right trajectory on the ball, even into contested catches, to give his WR the best chance to get the ball with the least risk involved. 

Saw the same thing when watching Burrow and great analysis of a great play. Brady wasn't even close to having a year
in college that Burrow had this season. What is it that has always stood out about Brady in big games in the NFL? It is 
that ice in his veins as Bengaloo mentioned that sets Brady apart. Burrow seems to have this and natural smarts that set
him apart from these other QB's.

This is exactly the type of QB we need here.

Thanks Holic for the vid, not much of a McShay fan but I agree with him here on Burrow.

Dude isn't scared out there even after getting buried. Rare, very rare and this is in college. Expect improvement as he 
grows in the NFL and expect Burrow to be a good to great QB down the road at the next level with his intelligence and
special abilities to read Defenses and throw WR's open.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 05:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If we get an offer like that again let’s talk about it. Until then let’s assume no team would be stupid enough to give up that much for any one player. Let’s just focus on what we’re going to do with the pick we actually do have now. Take Joe Burrow.

Sounds like people think Burrow is (Darth) Brady reincarnate. If so, I would actually plan for someone making a significant trade offer. So, probably be more prudent to assume that offers will come and should game-plan based on that assumption.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 11:43 PM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: Sounds like people think Burrow is (Darth) Brady reincarnate. If so, I would actually plan for someone making a significant trade offer. So, probably be more prudent to assume that offers will come and should game-plan based on that assumption.

Nah, you stay put and take him if those offers come.  It obviously means that other teams are seeing the same things.

If you are going to rebuild, you have to start with the QB - otherwise you end up fixing things and the team wins too many games the following year to get in position to draft an elite talent.
Reply/Quote