Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Pre-Combine Mock
Wanted to post one more mock before the combine so I put this together since I had a slow day, not really gonna get into Free Agency much but I think we find a way to get MJ and Iloka back since we always find a way to get our guys decent deals, as well as Jones, Nelson and Vinnie back on deals that may not be quite as long term or as lucrative as the young guys but we get them back.

Draft :

1. Robert Nkemdiche DT Ole Miss - Ranked at 18 right now on CBS and has some concerns with lack of production that could cause him to fall to us in round 1. Physically Nkemdiche is exactly what you want and though his numbers are lacking he has shown he can make an impact getting pressure on the QB. Has the quickness you want off the snap or to get by blockers. Also has the versatility that the Bengals seem to like and has experience inside and outside on the Dline. Nkemdiche has issues that may cause him to slide including an arrest, a quote from NFL.com :  "Body beautiful and from the Shawn Oakman school of production. He's a much better talent than Oakman, but Oakman is the better kid. He will not be on our board as a first-round option. If he slides, we'll see." -- NFC executive. Talent that shouldn't be around when we pick is around because of character issues and a lack of production so we jump on it.

[Image: 1002_Robert-Nkemdiche_insid1.jpg]

2. Pharoh Cooper WR South Carolina - Quick guy that can make people miss, he is the Sanu replacement that we grab early on in the draft. Cooper can do a little bit of everything with receiving yards, rushing yards, and has even thrown the ball a couple times over the years. While he doesn't bring the size that Sanu brought he does bring the added speed as well as return ability that Sanu did not. We need a do everything type of WR to replace Sanu and Cooper falls right into our laps in round 2.

[Image: South+Carolina+v+Auburn+iId6f-g-EQhl.jpg]

3. Sean Davis S Maryland - We bring back Nelson on a short term deal so unless the team believes that Shawn Williams is the future we have to look at other options which leads us to Sean Davis. Davis reminds me a bit of Nelson, has experience at CB, FS, SS, special teams, attacks vs the run and loves to hit people. Has some areas to work on which makes it important to bring back Nelson but this kid has a ton of talent and versatility that the Bengals love. Davis has some major potential at the safety spot and will be a solid option for emergency CB if needed. Had 88 Tackles, 4.5 TFL, 3 INT, and 5 FF this season. Also Check out his tackle at the Senior Bowl.

[Image: 461034498-sean-davis-of-the-maryland-ter...naqg%3D%3D]

4. Jatavis Brown LB Akron - I want a LB that can cover guys, while Jatavis may be undersized at 5'11 221 this guys may be the answer for that cover LB we have been looking for. Small school guy but the game against Pitt showed that he could do quite a bit for his team, attacked vs the run and made plays, got after the QB a time or two and was even asked to help cover WRs and RBs. Watching that Pitt game when he kicks it into another gear you really do see the kind of speed this kid has closing on the ball carrier. Brown has the aggressive mindset along with the speed and physicality to really help our slower group of LBs. Had 116 Tackles - 19.5 TFL - 11.5 Sacks - 1 INT - 4 FF in 2015.

[Image: img25351222.jpg]

5. D.J. Reader DT Clemson - Gonna double dip at DT and after getting more of a pass rushing DT in round one we get our big run stuffing DT in round 5. Big guy at 340 pounds that can stuff the running lanes up for opposing offenses. As big as he is he still moves really well and can get some push inside. Not gonna offer much in terms of rushing but we need a guy that can help shut down the run and let our other guys get after the QB. I think the additions to the Dline this draft would really help take this group to another level.

[Image: Reader_DJ_OU_700.jpg]

6. Keivarae Russel CB Notre Dame - Guy that has had some trouble at ND with academic issues early and ended his career with a broken right leg. While he does lack experience and has some injury concerns from the games I have seen on Russel he has kept his guy covered pretty well and seems to have pretty good anticipation of what is unfolding in front of him. Russel seems to be able to stick with his guy in coverage and has the speed to make up for mistakes. This pick is more for the future since our CBs seem to be pretty solid if Dennard is ready to start the season. 60 Tackles - 3.5 TFL - 2 INT - 4 PD - 2 FF

[Image: keivarae-russell-class12.jpg]

7. Montese Overton LB ECU - This is a guy that I really liked watching play and after seeing him play found his physical skills to be just as impressive. Overton stands at 6'3 221 and has been reported as running a 4.3 4. Watching him play he seems to be quick to recognize a play and quick to close in on it. He has a game against UNC up where he makes the OT look silly anytime he was asked to rush the QB, he also showed some great penetration when attacking the run, throw on top of that he showed some solid coverage ability one of which was recognizing a screen and dropping out of his pass rush to almost intercept the pass. May not be a day 1 starter but the Bengals love to find some LB talent late in the draft and this guy fits that mold perfectly. 70 Tackles - 10 TFL - 7.5 Sacks - 7 PD.

[Image: 940x.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd be a happy camper with this. nice job
Reply/Quote
Nkemdiche is either going to be incredibly good. Or really bad. But the good is so good that you risk it.
Reply/Quote
I like Pharoh.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
In general i like the draft, but Nkemdiche still gives me pause. Randy Gregory went at pick 60 and he's already on a 4 game suspension.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of your 1st pick, but the rest is solid.
I liked your LB's. I'm really intrigued now by Overton and I'm going to research him and Brown too.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 09:55 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Nkemdiche is either going to be incredibly good. Or really bad. But the good is so good that you risk it.

(02-24-2016, 08:19 AM)Goalpost Wrote: In general i like the draft, but Nkemdiche still gives me pause.  Randy Gregory went at pick 60 and he's already on a 4 game suspension.

(02-24-2016, 01:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not a fan of your 1st pick, but the rest is solid.
I liked your LB's. I'm really intrigued now by Overton and I'm going to research him and Brown too.

Nkemdiche is a risk and if he falls and a guy like Jaylon Smith doesn't fall then you have to atleast consider taking a guy that probably shouldn't be around when we are picking. 

As for the LBs I was really impressed with Overton and if he actually comes out and runs anywhere close to a 4.3 at the combine he is probably gonna be a guy who fly's up the rankings. It'll be interesting to see how he does though, his size may end up being an issue with scouts though because I see him listed at 6'3 everywhere but his NFL Draft Profile has him at 6'1 at so size could be an issue depending on what he actually measures in at the combine.
Reply/Quote
Bigger guys might be great in coverage, but sometimes they have a harder time dropping low enough to get below a runners center of gravity for a take down. That's why sometimes those smaller compact guys do so well.
Reply/Quote