Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Todd Monken should get the job
So much for a Young, offensive minded coach? Maybe at his age, Mike considers Monken a bit of a whippersnapper? Seriously, Monken's passing game was good, not his fault Winston kept throwing it to the wrong team. It just seemed like the Tampa offense was one dimensional. I'd like to see a creative offensive mind that runs a more balanced attack, because at certain times of the year, and especially against certain types of defenses, you're going to have to be able to run the ball with some authority.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Monken has done the most with less.

He doesn't have Reid and Mahomes. He doesn't have the Goat and the other Goat. He doesn't have it boy McVay.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 09:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So much for a Young, offensive minded coach?  Maybe at his age, Mike considers Monken a bit of a whippersnapper?  Seriously, Monken's passing game was good, not his fault Winston kept throwing it to the wrong team.  It just seemed like the Tampa offense was one dimensional.  I'd like to see a creative offensive mind that runs a more balanced attack, because at certain times of the year, and especially against certain types of defenses, you're going to have to be able to run the ball with some authority.

It should be pretty obvious by now that the Bengals can't keep being a pass-first offense, not without a better QB and more reliable receivers health-wise. They need to build around Joe Mixon. Therefore, give me a HC that knows the run game...Bieniemy. Pair him with Jack Del Rio (who is only 6 years older than him) for DC and we could see a team similar to that of the Cowboys.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 10:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It should be pretty obvious by now that the Bengals can't keep being a pass-first offense, not without a better QB and more reliable receivers health-wise. They need to build around Joe Mixon. Therefore, give me a HC that knows the run game...Bieniemy. Pair him with Jack Del Rio (who is only 6 years older than him) for DC and we could see a team similar to that of the Cowboys.

:andy: I like it

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 10:48 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Monken has done the most with less.

He doesn't have Reid and Mahomes. He doesn't have the Goat and the other Goat. He doesn't have it boy McVay.

But he did have Jameis Winston, who despite his questionable character was considered a top-notch QB coming out of college. And they had great weapons all around Winston in Evans, Jackson, Brate, Howard, and previously Doug Martin. Their big problem was their OL. Outside of Ali Marpet, it was just meh (similar to Bengals).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 10:00 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: If Lap was saying lazor  and Simmons  are basically at the top of their list, I believe it. And I won’t lie, I’m going to be pissed.

willing to give simmons a shot if it does come from our current staff.  but that's it
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: willing to give simmons a shot if it does come from our current staff.  but that's it

Hasn't he only been Special Teams the last 16 years?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: willing to give simmons a shot if it does come from our current staff.  but that's it

I want someone new.....I’ll be very disappointed if it’s current staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:28 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Hasn't he only been Special Teams the last 16 years?

Marv Levy, John Harbaugh, Bill Bellichick, Bill Cowher, Dick Vermeil were all special teams coaches for a majority, if not all, before becoming head coaches. 

That being said....I still want an outsider, lol. Simmons has been really good at what he does though.  
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 10:19 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It's a GD joke.

About as amusing as someone telling cancer jokes in a pediatric hospice ward.

Timing is everything with jokes. With the Bengals it might actually be amusing.. I'm having a tough time quantifying it, but heck, it's the Bengals we're talking about. Starving refugees could be funny in the context of the Cincinnati Bengals.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:34 AM)jmccracky Wrote: Marv Levy, John Harbaugh, Bill Bellichick, Bill Cowher, Dick Vermeil were all special teams coaches for a majority, if not all, before becoming head coaches. 

That being said....I still want an outsider, lol. Simmons has been really good at what he does though.  

Of all the in house candidates I'd trust Simmons before any of the rest. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:28 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Hasn't he only been Special Teams the last 16 years?

Yes, but his units have been consistently good with the least amount of talent. It's not like he would be OC or DC.... I would be willing to see if he could set the tone he set with St's with the whole team..... like I said, not my first choice, but I sure wouldn't count him out before he had a chance. 
Reply/Quote
I also would like the Bengals to hire Todd Monken. If I was Mike Brown I would go with him. Other than him the only other two considerable are the Ram's coaches. The rest no! Bieniemy sounds like the Burfict version of a coach with baggage, no thanks.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 09:55 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Monken and Taylor.  Not sold on the other 2 guys.

They all have questions and Bienemy has more NFL experience than Taylor and Richard is a great motivator. Would love anyone of these guys as HC myself. Wonder why you don't care for Bienemy or Richard, i like them just as much as Monken and Taylor at this point for us.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 10:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It should be pretty obvious by now that the Bengals can't keep being a pass-first offense, not without a better QB and more reliable receivers health-wise. They need to build around Joe Mixon. Therefore, give me a HC that knows the run game...Bieniemy. Pair him with Jack Del Rio (who is only 6 years older than him) for DC and we could see a team similar to that of the Cowboys.

This sounds great to me.
Reply/Quote

I'd be good with that.
Reply/Quote

A team that hasn't done anything in forever...

I don't mind building around the RB, but I would rather be more like the Seahawks when Lynch was the RB.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:55 PM)3wt Wrote: I like a lot of what you say.

I'm not sure exactly what it takes to be a great head coach.  But for me it is having a vision for what you want to do, the ability to orchestrate it and the ability to adjust to challenges, complications and being punched in the mouth.

Communication is a big part, but I don't really think of Belichick as being a great communicator.   I think he has great vision, is a great orchestrator and lets adversity roll off his back.

Belichick is probably a great communicator to his players and to his staff.  Not so much with the media, so that would give him a perception of not being a great communicator.

His players always seem to know what to do and why they need to do it.  Players that aren't receptive to his approach are cut/traded away like Jamie Collins.

That is why he targets players that others aren't interested in, he checks to see if they are receptive to his approach and then has them do the things that he request them to do.
Reply/Quote
One thing to remember with Monken is he is one of those guys on the cutting edge incorporating more and more Air Raid concepts. If we are looking out to a QB in the future he would be a great higher as the Air Raid QB's coming in over the last couple years are all the rage.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They all have questions and Bienemy has more NFL experience than Taylor and Richard is a great motivator. Would love anyone of these guys as HC myself. Wonder why you don't care for Bienemy or Richard, i like them just as much as Monken and Taylor at this point for us.

Since my original response was removed due to a left turn thrown by someone else, I will try again.

I have my reasons.

Most of those reasons have to do with where those guys are coming from.  Both have been put in situations that were already mostly established and successful and more than likely been successful without their input.

They were not the architects or masterminds of the systems that they were put in, but more of builders that just did what the architects told them to do.

Taylor and Monken on the other hand were instrumental in the building process and helped create the turn around seen in their franchises.  Monken did it on multiple levels and did a great job with a bad situation in TB.  Taylor was instrumental in assisting McVay in making the Rams the team they are.

Great HCs are great communicators not great motivators.  I know they seem like the same thing but they are not.  You can be motivated by someone you don't respect and even hate, but sooner or later you lose your motivation and don't perform, just look at the Steelers.  A great communicator on the other hand will not only tell you WHAT to do but WHY you need to do it that way which is motivation enough.

McVay has stated that Taylor is a great communicator and that he will challenge in a way that is well received and respected.  
Reply/Quote