Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Todd mccshay
For the people insisting that burrow was clearly qb1 even if tua hadn’t got hurt

Todd McShay on @dpshow:

“I would take Tua over Joe Burrow if there were no medical concerns.”

Compared him to Drew Brees.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 12:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: For the people insisting that burrow was clearly qb1 even if tua hadn’t got hurt

Todd McShay on @dpshow:

But there are medical concerns..  So, there's that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
But there are medical concerns. And that’s his opinion. At least he didn’t say he take Love over both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
McShay also said he'd take Lawrence over Burrow if he came out this year ... that's because there's 2 years of good tape on Tua and Lawrence, who have looked good since coming out of high school, but only one year on Burrow, who has only looked good this past year.

But Tua is hurt and Lawrence is not coming out -- that's about as helpful as me saying I would take Betty White if she were a 22-year old college QB with a rocket arm, decent mobility, and comparable stats .... I assume in real life, with no hypotheticals, McShay would take Burrow 1OA this year, no?
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:06 PM)shanebo Wrote: McShay also said he'd take Lawrence over Burrow if he came out this year ... that's because there's 2 years of good tape on Tua and Lawrence, who have looked good since coming out of high school, but only one year on Burrow, who has only looked good this past year.  

But Tua is hurt and Lawrence is not coming out -- that's about as helpful as me saying I would take Betty White if she were a 22-year old college QB with a rocket arm, decent mobility, and comparable stats ....  I assume in real life, with no hypotheticals, McShay would take Burrow 1OA this year, no?

He has said Burrow should be the pick at 1 for the Bengals and it would be so hard not to. Fun to point out, PFF graded Burrows season the greatest season ever played since they started grading college football about 5-6 years ago. That is better than any single season Tua or Lawrence put together.

Also, Can we revoke Jpoore's ability to make more Burrow threads? This is getting kind of ridiculous, and seriously starting to feel like his Kylar Murray take where he tried to speak him being bad into existence.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 12:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: For the people insisting that burrow was clearly qb1 even if tua hadn’t got hurt

Todd McShay on @dpshow:

I was never one who said Burrow was clearly QB1 if Tua hadn't gotten hurt.
Tua was my QB1 and would have remained there if he hadn't gotten hurt regardless of Burrow's rise.
In fact, the only QB I have faith in (aside from Burrow) to become a good NFL QB is Tua.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was never one who said Burrow was clearly QB1 if Tua hadn't gotten hurt.
Tua was my QB1 and would have remained there if he hadn't gotten hurt regardless of Burrow's rise.
In fact, the only QB I have faith in (aside from Burrow) to become a good NFL QB is Tua.

I can actually find plenty of issues with Tua. I have questions about his performance's versus the better teams he played. He needed Jalen Hurts to bail him out last year in the SEC title game. He has been surrounded by some of the best run after catch WR's we have seen in a long time along with an O line full of high draft picks and a stable of NFL backs. His injury red flags are the worst of a top end QB since Sam Bradford and his college injuries continued into his pro career. Aside from the hip having both ankles requiring surgery, even if repaired they are healthier than before, it still raises questions about his bodies ability to take the beating.

I feel like Burrow has taken a lot of heat of Tua from getting the scrutiny he probably would have gotten had he not been hurt and we were debating Burrow vs Tua for #1 overall. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 01:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But there are medical concerns..  So, there's that.

I'd take a new Lamborghini over a 77 Pinto. However the new Lamborghini got smashed by a train so.......
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 01:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But there are medical concerns..  So, there's that.

Right. It’s like saying I would take Patrick Mahomes if I had a time machine. LOL

Neither are reality.

Reply/Quote

Todd McShay on @dpshow:

Who insisted that?
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was never one who said Burrow was clearly QB1 if Tua hadn't gotten hurt.

I usually agree with you Ocho but Tua didn't play near as well against good teams as Burrow did.

Even if Tua wasn't hurt this is the case.

I always will take the QB that plays his best against the best competition.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: I can actually find plenty of issues with Tua. I have questions about his performance's versus the better teams he played. He needed Jalen Hurts to bail him out last year in the SEC title game. He has been surrounded by some of the best run after catch WR's we have seen in a long time along with an O line full of high draft picks and a stable of NFL backs. His injury red flags are the worst of a top end QB since Sam Bradford and his college injuries continued into his pro career. Aside from the hip having both ankles requiring surgery, even if repaired they are healthier than before, it still raises questions about his bodies ability to take the beating.

I feel like Burrow has taken a lot of heat of Tua from getting the scrutiny he probably would have gotten had he not been hurt and we were debating Burrow vs Tua for #1 overall. 

Tua has had an insanely good supporting cast.  In all likelihood, his top 2 WR's and one T are all going vin the 1st round this year.  
Reply/Quote

Todd McShay on @dpshow:

ok man, we know you don't like burrow do you need to make a new thread every day with the same thing.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm going to call BS on Mcshay here.
1.) Burrow just had the greatest season any college QB has ever had.
2.) Burrow and Tua strengths and Weaknesses are nearly the same. When both are healthy.
3.) Burrow is also the bigger of the two.
It would be somewhat close but Burrow would be ahead.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you Ocho but Tua didn't play near as well against good teams as Burrow did.

Even if Tua wasn't hurt this is the case.

I always will take the QB that plays his best against the best competition.

That's fair, but Burrow hadn't really played fantastic against a lot of the best competition at the point Tua went down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 06:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's fair, but Burrow hadn't really played fantastic against a lot of the best competition at the point Tua went down.

21/24 for 293 and 3 TDs against Florida was before Tua went down. That said he was fantastic against lesser competition that was comparable to the teams Tua had played up to that point.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 02:46 PM)Au165 Wrote:  He needed Jalen Hurts to bail him out last year in the SEC title game.

Last year Burrow was the 12th rated QB in the 14 team SEC and was watching the SEC title game from home.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 06:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's fair, but Burrow hadn't really played fantastic against a lot of the best competition at the point Tua went down.

yeah you're right Burrow is obviously not on the level of the great tua.  LMAO

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Burrow was the 12th rated QB in the 14 team SEC and was watching the SEC title game from home.

yep fred he's a total bust.  Must be frustrating for you

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you Ocho but Tua didn't play near as well against good teams as Burrow did.

Not sure what you mean by this.  The only really good team Bama played before Tua went down was LSU and when you look at their head-to-head stats in that game there is not a big difference

Tua  418 yds, 4 td, 168.3 rating
Joe  393 yds, 3 td, 189.5 rating
Reply/Quote