Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Coughlin
Just curious if you guys would consider Coughlin an upgrade over Lewis. I don't know if Lewis will be canned but that's not the point. People either seem to love him or hate him personally I think he was an awesome no non-sense coach but I fear he might be getting up there in age and maybe the game has left him behind. It wasn't too long ago though that he was coaching the Giants to 2 Superbowl victories against one of the greatest coaches ever. One of them was a team trying to go undefeated. His teams were rarely consistent though.
Reply/Quote
That ship has sailed, and I feel like Coughlin's style doesn't blend well with the modern game. The modern incarnation of a coach like Coughlin? Mike Zimmer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That ship has sailed, and I feel like Coughlin's style doesn't blend well with the modern game.  The modern incarnation of a coach like Coughlin?  Mike Zimmer.

I would've pulled the trigger on Zimmer in a heartbeat. Maybe even Jackson too.

Had 2 quality Head Coaching candidates in our building and we let them walk. Sick
Reply/Quote
i'd take bill cowher or coughlin easily over M. lewis
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:16 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I would've pulled the trigger on Zimmer in a heartbeat. Maybe even Jackson too.

Had 2 quality Head Coaching candidates in our building and we let them walk. Sick

3 if you include Vance  Joseph
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:16 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I would've pulled the trigger on Zimmer in a heartbeat. Maybe even Jackson too.

Biggest mistake ever, was letting Mike Zimmer walk out of the building.  But hey, they did the same thing with Bill Walsh...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Lets remember that Coughlin was thiiiiis close to taking the job over Marvin many moons ago. Lets also remember that many of us have it in the back of our mind that IF Marvin doesn't return that they'll promote another name from within. You may prefer a Vance Joseph type, but I'd be very happy with Coughlin. If we're worried about the game passing him by, I'm sure he will have an assistant with a fresh perspective as well. If the concern is over motivating a player with a guy that's LED his team to two SB's, then maybe that player needs to go.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, we had our chance at Coughlin and bungled it. The only problem is, Coughlin is no nonsense and more hard-nosed than even Zimmer was. We'd either straighten up, or more than likely just buck and crumble from within. Marvin's a "player's coach" that has created a "player's coach" team. Marvin's upgraded the culture from the 90's tremendously, but he's plateaued.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That ship has sailed, and I feel like Coughlin's style doesn't blend well with the modern game.  The modern incarnation of a coach like Coughlin?  Mike Zimmer.

Agreed.  Giants backed into the playoffs both years, as wild card teams, 9-7 and 10-6, depending on other teams losing and got extremely lot and very lucky both times, IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 09:47 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Yeah, we had our chance at Coughlin and bungled it. The only problem is, Coughlin is no nonsense and more hard-nosed than even Zimmer was. We'd either straighten up, or more than likely just buck and crumble from within. Marvin's a "player's coach" that has created a "player's coach" team. Marvin's upgraded the culture from the 90's tremendously, but he's plateaued.

It seemed to be that he coddled Beckham even more so than Lewis did Chad Johnson.
Reply/Quote
Give me Vance Joseph any day.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's been a good run...

Tom Coughlin needs to enjoy his golden years.... Hang out with the grandkids. Play some golf, and drink some Scotch...

Are we using the same formula to hire a HC that we use at SAM LB?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 09:47 PM)Older Than You Wrote: Yeah, we had our chance at Coughlin and bungled it. The only problem is, Coughlin is no nonsense and more hard-nosed than even Zimmer was. We'd either straighten up, or more than likely just buck and crumble from within. Marvin's a "player's coach" that has created a "player's coach" team. Marvin's upgraded the culture from the 90's tremendously, but he's plateaued.

That was Coughlin before the players almost had a mutiny. After he chilled a bit, two Super Bowl wins. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Let's not delude ourselves in thinking that Mikey will pick anyone other than Alexander. It makes me wanna puke but that's probably what will happen.
Reply/Quote
Tom Coughlin has coached teams to Super Bowl wins with far less talent than the 2011-2016 Bengals. He's a great coach and a great motivator -- and I think Katie was right in preferring him over Marvin Lewis back in 2003.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 07:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tom Coughlin has coached teams to Super Bowl wins with far less talent than the 2011-2016 Bengals.  He's a great coach and a great motivator -- and I think Katie was right in preferring him over Marvin Lewis back in 2003.  

I thought it was Mike Brown who preferred Coughlin but Katie wanted Lewis?
Reply/Quote
Coughlin > Lewis .. He has 2 rings to show for it
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 10:35 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I thought it was Mike Brown who preferred Coughlin but Katie wanted Lewis?

You're absolutely correct and I had it totally backwards!  I figured since Mike was the owner that he got his way but that's not the case.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 10:41 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You're absolutely correct and I had it totally backwards!  I figured since Mike was the owner that he got his way but that's not the case.

According to Dave Lapham a number of years ago, the last time Mike Brown "got his way" in terms of hiring a HC was in 1992 when he chose the man pictured below over Bill Cowher:

[Image: dSHULASLR.jpg]

The reasoning Lapham gave was Mike related well with Shula in terms of trying to shoulder the pressure of being the son of an NFL legend, so he gave him a chance.
Reply/Quote
There's too much fear of regressing that it's preventing the ability to progress.

Some people bring up the Reds letting go of Dusty Baker and now the Reds are in much worse shape. I, for one, was and still am happy that Dusty Baker was let go. At least the Reds were willing to try something new. It just hasn't worked out (yet at least).

The same results over and over cause frustration and boredom.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote