Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tommy Togiai
DT from Ohio State. Listed at 6’2” 300lbs

The DT we need is right under our nose. I’m a buckeye homer but in this shortened season I didn’t get to watch much other than the National Championship. Which he missed with a false positive COVID test. He didn’t start until this year. And is a true junior. Ohio states first recruit from Idaho. Urban went out there to get him. And he was apparently on of the strongest on the team when he showed up. Pretty impressive for a freshman going to one of the premier programs in the country.

I’m not on a PC so I will post his highlight clip later.

But I’m looking for someone to talk me out of wanting him with our 2nd round pick. He doesn’t have elite size. But neither does the best defender in the league or the best defend from our team over the last several years.

Sideline to sideline DT? If there is such a thing. Freaky strength. Resets the line of scrimmage. Holds his ground against double teams. Has a high football IQ.

I really think he is falling through the cracks in this years draft class. I would love to get him a year to learn under Geno and play in a rotation.

Is this all the homer in me talking? Or are there others out there who thinks this guy could help us out in a big way?
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 05:41 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I really think he is falling through the cracks in this years draft class. 

Too early if you ask me, but i'll give you benefit to make a judgment call.  This dt class is a cluster with many uncertain who is even going in round one.  While many like Nixon and Barmore, the site i follow now has Onwuzurike at the top.  Barmore had a good national championship game and it was a missed opportunity for Togiai.  Twyman is my sleeper.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dj Reader already does that job on the team when they need interior pass rush.

He projects to be a 2 down run stuffer. Not in the 2nd anyway
Reply/Quote
I'm probably just being a homer. Wish I knew his age. Can't be too old considering his is a true junior. I think he might just be scratching the surface though.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 08:18 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Dj Reader already does that job on the team when they need interior pass rush.

He projects to be a  2 down run stuffer. Not in the 2nd anyway

Reader does not really get much pressure at all.
In the past 3 years, here are his total pressures according to Pro Football Reference:
2018 - 7
2019 - 12
2020 - 1

To give perspective, most pass rushing IDL are typically getting 20+ a year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 05:41 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: DT from Ohio State. Listed at 6’2” 300lbs

The DT we need is right under our nose. I’m a buckeye homer but in this shortened season I didn’t get to watch much other than the National Championship. Which he missed with a false positive COVID test. He didn’t start until this year. And is a true junior. Ohio states first recruit from Idaho. Urban went out there to get him. And he was apparently on of the strongest on the team when he showed up. Pretty impressive for a freshman going to one of the premier programs in the country.

But I’m looking for someone to talk me out of wanting him with our 2nd round pick. He doesn’t have elite size. But neither does the best defender in the league or the best defend from our team over the last several years.

Sideline to sideline DT? If there is such a thing. Freaky strength. Resets the line of scrimmage. Holds his ground against double teams. Has a high football IQ.

I really think he is falling through the cracks in this years draft class. I would love to get him a year to learn under Geno and play in a rotation.

Is this all the homer in me talking? Or are there others out there who thinks this guy could help us out in a big way?

This team needs a serious impact player in the 2nd RD 
Whether its offensive or defensive side.
This isnt the year to draft Drew Sample calibur players
In RD 2 where you have to wait and wait if he has the goods or 
Not. I dont think he is worthy of a 2nd RD pick.
I rather have Twyman or the wtecking ball from Iowa.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 12:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Reader does not really get much pressure at all.
In the past 3 years, here are his total pressures according to Pro Football Reference:
2018 - 7
2019 - 12
2020 - 1

To give perspective, most pass rushing IDL are typically getting 20+ a year.

I never wrote Reader getting QB pressures.

The guy this thread is about is a 2 gap run stuffer on 1st and 2nd down. That’s his projection. DJ Reader already does that job and they need interior pass rushers more.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 01:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This team needs a serious impact player in the 2nd RD 
Whether its offensive or defensive side.
This isnt the year to draft Drew Sample calibur players
In RD 2 where you have to wait and wait if he has the goods or 
Not. I dont think he is worthy of a 2nd RD pick.
I rather have Twyman or the wtecking ball from Iowa.

I'd like someone with proven production in Rd 2, not a project.
If they go offense in Rd 1, I'd really like Rd 2 to be defense. DL ideally, but CB possibly too if WJ3 walks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 03:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I never wrote Reader getting QB pressures.

The guy this thread is about is a 2 gap run stuffer on 1st and 2nd down. That’s his projection. DJ Reader already does that job and they need interior pass rushers more.

Apologies, I misinterpreted your statement then.

When you said "Dj Reader already does that job on the team when they need interior pass rush." I interpreted as Reader provides an interior pass rush.

I agree with you now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 05:41 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: DT from Ohio State. Listed at 6’2” 300lbs

I think he has potential, but I don't view him as a 3 tech really and I would much rather have a guy like Alim McNeal who has proven himself at 3 tech and is extremely athletic and violent

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Apologies, I misinterpreted your statement then.

When you said "Dj Reader already does that job on the team when they need interior pass rush." I interpreted as Reader provides an interior pass rush.

I agree with you now.

It’s all good! Sometimes when I’m thinking about my post some of my sentences sound better in my head.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 04:12 PM)Okeana Wrote: I think he has potential, but I don't view him as a 3 tech really and I would much rather have a guy like Alim McNeal who has proven himself at 3 tech and is extremely athletic and violent

Feel the same, we need a 3-tech to take over for Geno. Alim McNeal is ideal.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, we need a 3-tech to take over for Geno. Alim McNeal is ideal.

Am I the only one who read that as Ally McBeal?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote