Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Tonight was the funeral for the season
(11-17-2023, 08:01 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This makes sense — and I think the Bengals can absorb two more losses and still make the playoffs as a number seven seed.  10-7 usually makes it and the key is going 3-0 in the division from here on out.

No it won't, not even close.. They have 1 afc win lol..... 5 losses.... That ain't gonna do it at 10-7.. That ship sailed
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:40 AM)Tony Wrote: No it won't, not even close.. They have 1 afc win lol..... 5 losses.... That ain't gonna do it at 10-7.. That ship sailed

I’m not saying you’re too negative but you’re starting to attract protons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:07 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I expected us to lose myself but I really thought the rest of the season was favorable. Losing Burrow hurts and now flashing forward to the draft/off-season makes me worry about next year as well. 

According to the announcers, the Bengals have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFL, followed by Buffalo.

Would have helped to be in an easier division, but it is what it is.

Makes me appreciate more what New England and KC accomplished all those years. They are there every single year, usually getting a playoff bye.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not saying you’re too negative but you’re starting to attract protons.

Hilarious
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: According to the announcers, the Bengals have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFL, followed by Buffalo.

Makes me appreciate more what New England and KC accomplished all those years. They are there every single year, usually getting a playoff bye.

Yes it really is quite the feat when you look back at those teams. But the reasons why are there too and they extend beyond having a great QB such as having stellar coaching and player development, hitting on draft picks through all rounds, and signing free agents that are the best fit for their value.

The Bengals are sorely lacking in many of these key areas and it is showing why they are still a ways off from that tier of team.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Yeah I do think we might be done for this season now. I don't think the loss to Baltimore specifically does that, but if Burrow misses any time we're virtually done. 10-7 might not do it due to awful conference record. Would therefore mean 6-1 needed and while I believe we can do that with a fully healthy Burrow, I don't have a lot of faith we get that done if he misses any time, or isn't ready to go next game. If we had a standout defence and a good run game, this would be easier to navigate.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 03:06 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 12-5 will get you into the playoffs.

it will get someone in the playoffs... bengals wont be 12-5
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: According to the announcers, the Bengals have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFL, followed by Buffalo.

Mahomes is going to be winning yet another Lombardi while we sit at home out of the playoffs.  After 35+ years of watching this team and ownership I am really just getting worn out/burnt out.  It's almost nothing but constant disappointment and embarrassment with this team and ownership with the only exception being the last 2 years.  That was the window.  It's closed.  They blew it.  It's really sad and frustrating.
Reply/Quote

So was New England's division bad because they were in it, or not? If any team other than the Eagles played in the AFC-N they would not make that many superbowls. NE division appeared so bad it was a cakewalk free games, we should look for their divisional record stats to see if it's true.

"Most of Brady's all-time wins came against the AFC East (90-22 in the regular season) during his run with the Patriots."
Reply/Quote
That was also the window slamming shut.. rebuild mode now. This team will look a lot different next year. I knew when cooper kupp caught that last TD, it would haunt us for a long long time. That was it. That was the chance. Burrows all beat up, ( anyone could see that coming). You think the defense is bad now, wait till Reader is gone...
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:01 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This makes sense — and I think the Bengals can absorb two more losses and still make the playoffs as a number seven seed.  10-7 usually makes it and the key is going 3-0 in the division from here on out.

Injuries to key players aside, I just don't have a lot of faith in either of those things happening. The Bengals weren't exactly kicking the Ravens' tails before Burrow went down.  The Bengals offense is just plain too predictable and easy for teams to diagnose and defend.  Teams that cannot switch over to a physical style and control the line of scrimmage will not win a championship in today's NFL.  Zac Taylor needs to take a moment of introspection and come to a realization of what's working and not working.

The Bengals went against their grain a few weeks ago in San Francisco, they lined up under center and went toe to toe with a strong defensive front.  For the most part it worked and they came away with the win.  Since then, it's been back to the same old same old.  Running the ball should not always look like a surprise play when people were expecting a pass.  Showing a determination to line up, move the men in front of you and moving the ball on the ground does so many good things for a team's OL.  It keeps the defense honest and not allowing them to simply come on an all out pass rush every play, it improves morale for the entire offense, as well as takes pressure off of the QB and receivers to constantly make clutch connections against increasingly tight coverages.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Injuries to key players aside, I just don't have a lot of faith in either of those things happening. The Bengals weren't exactly kicking the Ravens' tails before Burrow went down.  The Bengals offense is just plain too predictable and easy for teams to diagnose and defend.  Teams that cannot switch over to a physical style and control the line of scrimmage will not win a championship in today's NFL.  Zac Taylor needs to take a moment of introspection and come to a realization of what's working and not working.

The Bengals went against their grain a few weeks ago in San Francisco, they lined up under center and went toe to toe with a strong defensive front.  For the most part it worked and they came away with the win.  Since then, it's been back to the same old same old.  Running the ball should not always look like a surprise play when people were expecting a pass.  Showing a determination to line up, move the men in front of you and moving the ball on the ground does so many good things for a team's OL.  It keeps the defense honest and not allowing them to simply come on an all out pass rush every play, it improves morale for the entire offense, as well as takes pressure off of the QB and receivers to constantly make clutch connections against increasingly tight coverages.

I have not yet fully understood why they looked like a completely different team in the 49ers game, even Mixon looked different. Something didn't look right, or in comparison something looks wrong. No way we can be that wildly different from game to game, really?
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:58 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Mahomes is going to be winning yet another Lombardi while we sit at home out of the playoffs.  After 35+ years of watching this team and ownership I am really just getting worn out/burnt out.  It's almost nothing but constant disappointment and embarrassment with this team and ownership with the only exception being the last 2 years.  That was the window.  It's closed.  They blew it.  It's really sad and frustrating.

I have no faith in this front office rebuilding. They got lighting in a bottle once, and everyone forgets about all the duke Tobin failures...
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not saying you’re too negative but you’re starting to attract protons.

Not negativity, reality.. Sometimes it just ain't your year. It happens..
Reply/Quote

Well without Burrow I don't see us winning any games. If he's out any more than 3 weeks and we lose them all I really hope we just sit him instead of getting worthless wins. But with Burrow healthy I thought it was favorable. We have 2 games with a 6-3 Steelers team I don't believe in making our schedule look worse. They just keep getting lucky like having Watson go out the week before them and now Burrow in all likelihood missing the game in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:06 AM)Tony Wrote: I have no faith in this front office rebuilding. They got lighting in a bottle once, and everyone forgets about all the duke Tobin failures...

I'm right there with you. We have a growing list of needs and had a chance to knock an item off the list at the trade deadline and get better this year for a mid to late rd pick and we pass it up. I get it's cheaper in the draft but you only get so many picks. 
We absolutely knocked it out of the park in FA for a few years than we go cheap and get Nick Scott. So which Bengals team do you think shows up after we got a big QB deal on the books. The one willing to spend some money on needed positions or the cheap one that either sits out FA or tries to buy bargain bin backups.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:06 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I have not yet fully understood why they looked like a completely different team in the 49ers game, even Mixon looked different. Something didn't look right, or in comparison something looks wrong. No way we can be that wildly different from game to game, really?

I don't know. We've really looked good on offense since Burrow has been healthy. Burrow had an interview after the Texans game where he said he needs to get better at knowing when to step on the gas and when to ease up which I really think describes his struggles in the Texans game. Way too many checkdowns early than just a bit too aggressive in spots in the 2nd half. 

As far as the defense they've got a lot of young guys and a bad Nick Scott. So they are gonna be inconsistent.  They struggled early because the offense couldn't help and that really seems to be the games and times they've struggled the most.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:38 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm right there with you. We have a growing list of needs and had a chance to knock an item off the list at the trade deadline and get better this year for a mid to late rd pick and we pass it up. I get it's cheaper in the draft but you only get so many picks. 
We absolutely knocked it out of the park in FA for a few years than we go cheap and get Nick Scott. So which Bengals team do you think shows up after we got a big QB deal on the books. The one willing to spend some money on needed positions or the cheap one that either sits out FA or tries to buy bargain bin backups.

To be fair Mike is probably saving up for a mint 1977 Chevy Chevette...Good on gas and all.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I kind of hoped with Joe being hurt most of the year, that... other areas of the team would have stepped it up. It just hasn't happened.
Reply/Quote