Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony McRae....offsides
I saw Marvin and Darrin Simmons chastise the guy when he jumped offsides a second time.

I wanted to throat punch both of them immediately.

Yes, McRae jumped offsides, but I LOVED what I was seeing in the kid. He was trying to time the snap count and a chip shot FG. There was a play early in the second quarter (I think) where an Atlanta DE jumped early and blew up a play, but it wasn't called.

It wasn't like they were going from a 55 yarder to an easier kick.

Then, the kid nearly makes a pick six to win the game.

Take a bow, kid, and keep busting your ass!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Until he jumps off sides and it gives the offense a new set of downs and they drive to win the game on us. They are right to correct him he wants to make a play but that's not how to make one by getting a head start on everyone else and getting a flag.
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with it situationally. The couldn’t get a first down, and it didn’t make a hard kick easier. I’m not even positive he was offsides, but I only saw it from behind the kicker.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:43 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Nothing wrong with it situationally. The couldn’t get a first down, and it didn’t make a hard kick easier. I’m not even positive he was offsides, but I only saw it from behind the kicker.

He definitely was. It was pretty funny actually.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He definitely was. It was pretty funny actually.

I kind of assumed he was because nobody said anything.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:43 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Until he jumps off sides and it gives the offense a new set of downs and they drive to win the game on us. They are right to correct him he wants to make a play but that's not how to make one by getting a head start on everyone else and getting a flag.

On 4th and goal from the 20, I don't think 4 yards meant a whole lot
Reply/Quote
While I can surely appreciate the effort by McC it could have meant the difference between a FG and a game killing TD.. IF the penalties had given them first down(s) nobody would be appreciating the effort except Atlanta. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:25 AM)grampahol Wrote: While I can surely appreciate the effort by McC it could have meant the difference between a FG and a game killing TD.. IF the penalties had given them first down(s) nobody would be appreciating the effort except Atlanta. 

It was goal to go.  

Reply/Quote
First one I got no issue with, the second one he went too far. There is a chance a gambling coach goes for it there after getting 10 yards of field position and goes for the win. Got to be smarter than that, excited to make a play is great but can't be dumb about it.
Reply/Quote
Just watched this highlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmcV5IwefM#t=10m43s

I'm sorry, but...
The refs blew that call.  McRae timed it, PERFECTLY.
He moves at the exact INSTANT the ball does, and is not across the line of scrimmage until the ball (circled in red)
is well on its way...

[Image: b9oxKWI.jpg]

Just because a defense player MOVES before (or simultaneously with) the snap, does NOT mean they are offsides.
I know this seems like nit-picking, but I umpire baseball and softball, and one thing I HATE is when officials "assume" or "guess!"

*mods - please delete my other thread with this same post.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:42 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Just watched this highlight...

I'm sorry, but...
He moves at the exact INSTANT the ball does, and is not across the line of scrimmage until the ball (circled in red)
is well on its way...

Just because a defense player MOVES before (or simultaneously with) the snap, does NOT mean they are offsides.
I know this seems like nit-picking, but I umpire baseball and softball, and one thing I HATE is when officials "assume" or "guess!"

This is what I thought, just an extremely well timed jump. The refs just assumed he was offsides because he was moving exactly at the snap. It's probably one of those calls that could go either way but you see it not called all the time. Unless it's blaring obvious he was across the line.

Glenn has a habit of moving out to block right at or even before the snap. There were a couple non calls that were awful close to false starts.
Reply/Quote
Is this the official start of the Mcrae over Kirkpatrick campaign?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I saw Marvin and Darrin Simmons chastise the guy when he jumped offsides a second time.

I wanted to throat punch both of them immediately.

Yes, McRae jumped offsides, but I LOVED what I was seeing in the kid.  He was trying to time the snap count and a chip shot FG.  There was a play early in the second quarter (I think) where an Atlanta DE jumped early and blew up a play, but it wasn't called.

It wasn't like they were going from a 55 yarder to an easier kick.

Then, the kid nearly makes a pick six to win the game.  

Take a bow, kid, and keep busting your ass!

Saw that and thought the same thing SHRacerX.  ******** (Marv and Simmons getting on him).  I mean, what's the worst that can happen when it's a chip shot field goal, 5 yards closer, or the other team declines the penalty?

For shits sake the kid is a aggressive and almost makes a great play - a game changing play btw.  What does he get for his effort - a beat-down from his coaches.

Both should pull him aside after watching the film and apologize for not understanding the game situation, field position, etc.  He (McRae) obviously understood.
Reply/Quote
You applaud him for being off sides 2 straight players? That bonehead probably would've been off sides a 3rd time if given the chance, which would've given the Falcons a 1st down.
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:09 PM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: You applaud him for being off sides 2 straight players?  That bonehead probably would've been off sides a 3rd time if given the chance,which would've given the Falcons a 1st down.

I'm curious as to how that would have happened.  Could you expound a little on that?

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 09:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: On 4th and goal from the 20, I don't think 4 yards meant a whole lot
If he is not corrected of his mistake then he will continue to make that mistake and it will cost us not in that game but future games. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:17 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If he is not corrected of his mistake then he will continue to make that mistake and it will cost us not in that game but future games. 

Or maybe he was aware of the situation.

Reply/Quote

I'm sorry, but...
is well on its way...

Thought the first one was perfectly timed as well. 

But not the second one.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 12:22 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If he is not corrected of his mistake then he will continue to make that mistake and it will cost us not in that game but future games. 

I'm not sure it was a mistake, rather just trying to make a big play in a unique situation.  Remember, it was not 4th and 4, it was 4th and goal from the 19 and then the 14 if I remember.  In that situation the Falcons are not going to decline a penalty and take points off the board to have 4 and goal from the 9.  Ever thought McRae knew the situation better than the coaches?
Reply/Quote

I'm sorry, but...
is well on its way...

While I won't comment directly on McRae's offsides, I agree with the bolded so much.

This is the reason why we lost to GB last year in OT: MJ was absolute NOT offsides, but because he moved, Rodgers did his free-play thing (probably best in NFL history at that) and we all remember what happened.

I sometimes think the refs are as stupid as the moronic fans that think the receiver caught the ball, while half his foot is OB.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote