Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Perez Got A Statue, That Is GREAT !!!!!
As bad as the Reds have been all year, They had the All-Star Game and did a great job. Frazier won the Home Run Derby. Chapman had 3 K's in the 9th. There have been several 1990 Reds and Nasty Boys 25th Anniversary ceremonies with I believe one more coming before seasons end. .......Then I pick up the Sunday Paper, " Perez Chokes Up As His Statue Is Unveiled "....It's great in many ways. The fans loved The Big Dog. I loved The Big Dog. He was Mr RBI....If the Reds had runners on second or third, Perez was the man you wanted at the plate. .....but Perez was left with a bad feeling for awhile over the Reds Front Office, not the fans. He said Reds told him they were having Tony Perez Retirement Day, when he had not said he was retiring, as if being shoved out the door. Pete as manager didn't even play Perez much on Tony Perez Day. Marge didn't open the gates until ceremony had started, leaving 50 thousand people including me and my mom outside waiting to get in to see Tony, but that was classic cheap Marge. Earlier, the Reds had traded Perez right after back to back World Series wins, to Montreal for Woody Fryman and a reliever. Sparky and Howsom would call it their worst trade, and it was. Then there was the Reds hiring Tony Perez as manager in the early 90's, with Dave Bristol as his bench coach. Only a few games into the season, Marge fired Perez. Sparky who had been fired by Reds and was winning with Detroit said there was no way the Reds could judge Perez as a manager in just a few games......It left Perez very unhappy about how the Reds ownership had traded him after 1976, said he was retiring in the 80's without asking him, and had only gave him a few days to take over and manage the team before firing him....Perez was never upset with the Reds Fans, Who Loved Him....

Time can heal some wounds. This is a better group of owners now, with some more class than before. The Reds Hall Of Fame built and past players again honored. Players and broadcasters honored and Bernie Stowe. ....Now, yesterday, a ceremony of the new statue of Tony Perez. Tony Perez of the MLB Hall Of Fame. Sitting with Mr Morgan and Mr Bench, Mr Perez was choked up ......The Fans ALWAYS loved Tony....The Fans ALWAYS loved Tony......Yesterday is a great moment for the Reds. Tony can smile again. The Reds treated him right this time. .....Yes, a statue of Tony Perez, you bet, it should be there.

As a Reds Fans since 1966, I'm glad Tony Perez was not just traded, fired, forgotten....Once again, The Reds Owners now show they have more class, just as they handled the All-Star Game a million times better than Marge going cheap on the Last Cincy All-Star Game. Ending this with more class by the owner now, Rounding Third And Heading For Home, Joe Nuxhalls sign off words across the outside of stadium in lights. ....WE LOVE YOU TONY.....Number retired and now a statue....In the Cooperstown Hall OF Fame.....WELCOME HOME TONY, WE LOVE YOU.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The Reds wore "Los Rojos" jerseys Friday night. They should have saved them for Saturday when they were honoring Doggy.

Perez was not as high profile as Bench, Rose, and Morgan, but he was the heart and soul of the Big Red Machine. It seemed like everyone liked Tony. He was just a class individual.
Reply/Quote