Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tony Romo
I loved Nantz in Burrow - Mahomes I. "Chase their is no chase Touchdown Bengals" was epic.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:58 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Just leave Tony alone.He’s an incredible analyst.He’s not perfect,but who is? Cut the guy some slack.People are so thin skinned,(SENSITIVE) nowadays.

Nah, Romo blows ass. 
Reply/Quote
I think it's great this board is debating the merits of Tony Romo broadcasting the AFC Championship game that the Bengals will be playing in.

What an awesome time to be a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Pity the Bengals can't get their own special announcing team for home games - say Dave Lapham and Kay Adams...

I would legit subscribe to this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:41 PM)lacesout87 Wrote: I've never tuned into Hoard and Lapham for a game, is it worth it? I love Lap, but just hearing his grunts in the background of mic'd up videos makes me question if I could listen to him for 3 hours.

I've been listening to Dave do color on the radio broadcasts since the mid-80s.  So, maybe at this point I'm immune to the supposed grunts emanating from him.  True, he's easily excitable and on big plays you do hear him him cheering in the background.  But, that's the only negative thing I can think of about the guy, if that does bother you.  He practically lives at the stadium and is constantly around the team, so he always has pertinent insider info about personnel changes, injuries, club news, etc.  And, if you're hearing some anti-Bengal bias from the network talents, then I guarantee you will not hear that listening to Dan and Lap.    

For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives in a Dan/Lap broadcast.  But reading thread after thread here complaining about commentators, perhaps some here might best be served by turning down their tv and listening to smooth jazz during the game.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I get past Romo by imagining he's Boomer working on second bottle of tequila.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 05:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Romo, as Basballguy said, is indeed the best colour guy in the business and probably the only close person is Collinsworth.

Herbstreit is great on the analysis, not the greatest speaker (which is weird, 'cause he's been doing this forever), Greg Olsen has been great and James Lofton has come a long way from 2017, when he was absolutely dreadful. Robert Smith is not bad at all either, but he's on Fox's lowest team, so he doesn't get a lot of action each year (we had him for... the Falcons, IIRC).

However, Charles Davis, Mark Schlereth, Vilma, Barber, Feely (stay on the sidelines), Matt Millen, Mark Sanchez, all suck and are awful. I don't know why Davis is on the #2 team, he's dreadfully wrong all the time, he doesn't know his teams and he hates the Bengals (he's the only Bengal hater that's really, truly bad).

Everyone else has their good and bad days and are just whatever (Trent Green, Archuleta, Moose, etc.)

Joe Buck & Aikman are the best hands down. Michaels & Collinsworth was right there with them, but they divorced. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 05:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I've been listening to Dave do color on the radio broadcasts since the mid-80s.  So, maybe at this point I'm immune to the supposed grunts emanating from him.  True, he's easily excitable and on big plays you do hear him him cheering in the background.  But, that's the only negative thing I can think of about the guy, if that does bother you.  He practically lives at the stadium and is constantly around the team, so he always has pertinent insider info about personnel changes, injuries, club news, etc.  And, if you're hearing some anti-Bengal bias from the network talents, then I guarantee you will not hear that listening to Dan and Lap.    

For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives in a Dan/Lap broadcast.  But reading thread after thread here complaining about commentators, perhaps some here might best be served by turning down their tv and listening to smooth jazz during the game.   

I appreciate the reply - when you put it that way, I guess maybe I'm just being way too damn nitpicky LOL everyone has their quirks, but if someone is all about the Bengals like I know Lap is, I can get behind that. I should give them a listen during the AFC Championship. Who knows, it could completely change the way I watch football. 

To be honest, I think everyone would benefit from listening to some smooth jazz (me included), and not only during football games.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I could have been imagining it, but did anyone else catch him saying something like, "oh, this is gonna be bad," when the Bengals were on the one yard line looking to score? (believe that was the Mixon called short/overturned for a TD)
Reply/Quote
I would think Mike Maycock would make a return at some point. I always enjoyed his draft analysis on NFL network, and LV was improving under his watch as GM. According to Wikipedia, he claims he was fired by LV because he wanted to retain Bisaccia as head coach instead of acquiring McDaniel. I would say he was right on that one, if true.
Reply/Quote
I don't mind Romo. I enjoy his breakdowns and his tendency to cheerlead for the popular team doesn't bother me. As a Bengals fan I'm used to that from most announcers. It only bothers me when they start to bend their interpretation of penalties for their favored team. At least it's not Dan Fouts.

The good news is that Sunday's thrashing of the Bills had him pretty firmly on the Bengals train by the end. It will be interesting to see whether he can temper his enthusiasm for Mahomes at all. I imagine that he's going to be watching carefully for signs of Mahomes' amazing healing powers early on. Every pass will be a super-human achievement.
Reply/Quote
I've always liked Aikman. Romo does get annoying now. Miami-Buffalo he calls Josh Mr January. Huh? The perfectly thrown ball that was wide. Said the Bengals had the game wrapped up, and then credited one of the Bengals DBs with a possible game saving break up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:43 PM)basballguy Wrote: (This is not directed at any individual person on this board)

The Tony Romo hate i've seen on the internet the past week is absolutely absurd.  Dude is hands down the best color commentator we've had as NFL fans in at least a decade.  He's turned up the fanboi attitude a ton this year but he's still above and beyond better than the other options.

You want Tiki Barber or Jay Feely?...good luck with that.  Give me Romo.
But is he?

https://twitter.com/Gridiron/status/1358724376053633025?s=20&t=f078i-tq3iP2BRohmjcXuQ
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 06:36 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I would think Mike Maycock would make a return at some point.  I always enjoyed his draft analysis on NFL network, and LV was improving under his watch as GM.  According to Wikipedia, he claims he was fired by LV because he wanted to retain Bisaccia as head coach instead of acquiring McDaniel.  I would say he was right on that one, if true.

His drafting was a total dumpster fire. He was telling the 90's Bengal teams to hold his beer. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I like Tony in the booth. He’s definitely a dork, but I don’t mind that. Does get a little cringey from time to time I will admit.

The coaching lessons after every play is pretty much his job and he’s very knowledgeable. Not sure why anyone would complain about that part.
I don't think he's very knowledgeable at all. He talks like he knows everything but sometimes it seems like even Collinsworth is like "what the hell are you talking about?"

He knows more than the average person because he played in the NFL but he tries to be too smart sometimes. It's like he overanalyzes everything and tries to sound like he's the only person that knows anything about football. 
(01-24-2023, 04:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's especially weird to complain about it since that's exactly what everyone has said they loved that, and wish he would just come off as being more impartial and stop drooling over other teams.  

But I'm trying to figure out around here who actually likes any of the announcers.  Seems every week it's a new complaint thread over whoever is calling the game.

I post my complaints about Romo on Facebook and everyone around here agrees and chimes in with how terrible he is.

He just comes off condescending like he knows simple things that you wouldn't know and then tries to over-complicate things so he sounds smart and it ends up making no sense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:43 PM)basballguy Wrote: (This is not directed at any individual person on this board)

The Tony Romo hate i've seen on the internet the past week is absolutely absurd.  Dude is hands down the best color commentator we've had as NFL fans in at least a decade.  He's turned up the fanboi attitude a ton this year but he's still above and beyond better than the other options.

You want Tiki Barber or Jay Feely?...good luck with that.  Give me Romo.

There's no question that are a lot of viewers expressing annoyance with Tony Romo. I didn't realize how widespread it was until I just completed an internet search. People that were initially impressed with Romo, but have grown disillusioned. I also felt that even Jim Nance seemed to express some annoyance last game. It's possible that if Romo doesn't fix things, he can be removed from the #1 CBS team.

So what does CBS and Tony Romo do? Do they simply say the viewing public is too thin-skinned and kept things the way they are? The wise thing would be to take the critique from the viewing public and improve things. They have a whole week before this major broadcast, the last CBS game of the season, to fix things. Romo has all the tools. Just work during the week to end the year on a high note. Just like the teams are practicing, take all the critique of the viewers and give them a pleasurable viewing experience. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 07:12 PM)motoarch Wrote: But is he?

https://twitter.com/Gridiron/status/1358724376053633025?s=20&t=f078i-tq3iP2BRohmjcXuQ

LOL that's awesome, never saw that before.  

I don't think you're actually challenging what I said but if you are, Kevin Harlan does play by play, not color.  So we can have Romo and Harlan.  :)

Great clip, thanks for sharing.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I tend to put on some Sabaton or Iron Maiden during most of the game anyway(Unless we are in the Red Zone) as most announcers irritate me, so doesn't matter to me who does the game or not tbh.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
I said in another thread, Tony Romo was gold his first year in the booth. They then gave him the Brinks truck, paid him big, and now he seems annoying. Not sure if it was one of those "We are going to give this money, but this is how we would like you to be," or if he is now trying hard to maintain a shtick, instead of just being him, and just comes off cringey.

Yeah, there could be worse, but he has worn thin.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I like Al Michaels but like Chris Collingsworth with Mike Tirico better. I’m a huge Jim Nantz guy and think Romo is his best partner to date. I like Romo. I actually think Sean McVay will be fantastic.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote