Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tony Romo
Romo was the most knowledgeable announcer I've ever heard.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:02 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Romo was the most knowledgeable announcer I've ever heard.

And he does it a laid back, folksy kind of way.  He will be a legend in the booth.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 02:44 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: LOL...I thought the same thing....but damned if he didn't call a great game.  None of this wishy washy bias shit either, he just called the x's and o's.  Call me a fan.

I thought he was Jon Gruden at first.
Reply/Quote
Romo was money. whenever the Packers would stack the box Dalton would still run the ball. football 101 .. audible out of the run play. whenever Dalton was under center i believe 6 times the Bengals ran the ball for a total of a yard, just stupid football. has dalton ever heard of a play action, or is he that bad where he cant.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:24 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Romo was money.  whenever the Packers would stack the box Dalton would still run the ball.  football 101 .. audible out of the run play.   whenever Dalton was under center i believe 6 times the Bengals ran the ball for a total of a yard,  just stupid football.   has dalton ever heard of a play action, or is he that bad where he cant.

Provide conclusive proof that Dalton was allowed to audible out of the play. If you can't then you're just trolling.
Reply/Quote
I really enjoy listening to him as a broadcaster. It's quite entertaining to hear him call out what is about to happen. Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:59 PM)McC Wrote: Not to mention the ninety hour work week for a coach.

And he'd be forced to scout here too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
One of the things that Romo mentioned that really sums up the Bengals as a whole during the Marvin Lewis era:
"Bengals done with their 20-play script. Packers should have a better idea of what's coming now."

Think back to how many games over the past 1.5 decades where the Bengals looked really good for the first 1-2 quarters then fell so flat in the second half of the game.
I think Romo really nailed it. It does feel like this team comes up with a sort of script to start off the game but never seems to follow it beyond a certain point and/or the script stops too soon and they have to get creative to finish out the game (which they seem to suck at).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like him. He yells the same things watching the game that my friends and I do in the man-cave...."HE'S OPEN!" or "GET RID OF IT!" or "I NEED MORE HOT SAUCE FOR THESE WINGS!".....oh wait, probably not that one. He does sound like a regular guy sitting at home watching the game though...without all the swear words.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:01 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I said the same thing after the game!

He was calling plays we would run, while we were setting the play up. You have to study hours upon hours to be that meticulous and articulate with what your saying.

That means he studied not only the defenses he was playing but also the offenses. He had to put some extra time in to do all that.

It'd be a shocking hire, but lest be honest. Our offense is 32nd in points, 31st in yards, 28th in pass and 21st in rush. Even with the offensive line woes, we have Dalton, Green, Lafell, Boyd, Ross, Eifert, Bernard, Hill and Mixon.

To much talent to be arguably the worst offense in the NFL thus far. Way too much. I could understand a 10-15 offensive ranking with the O-Line, but the worst Offense? That to me is unexcusable. I'm afraid that it will lead to another Palmer situation which we don't want or need! Bill Lazor did very good with the time he had to prepare and the situation that was placed upon them.

However, you can't tell me that Tony Romo can't help Dalton. Tony Romo, was seen as a guy that was never going to be the one to lead them to the playoffs, he understands what this team is going through with these playoff disappointments.

Tony Romo was seen as a small school product, he was never the biggest, the biggest arm or the fastest 40. He has been through the mud just like Andy Dalton has. He could set the team aside, mainly the offense, tell them I've been through what you've been through I know how you feel right now. 

He could tell them if you want to be the best, then you have to prepare like the best, think like the best, train like the best. If he could get these guys to train like Manning and Harrison use to and if he could give Andy Dalton some of that knowledge that he has. We could finally see this guy mature into a top level caliber quarterback.

If I was Mike Brown, I couldn't call him fast enough. If you have to pay him 3-5 million a year so be it. Cause if we don't I guarantee somebody else will.

The problem with all of this is like you said, Lazor looked good, real good calling plays in the first half until Marv got in his ear.

I think Lazor will be our OC from here on out.

Romo will stay where he is at and do a great job there cause also like you said he actually studies up and knows both the Offenses
and the Defenses. This is rare for an announcer, seems every game these guys don't even know the names of the players.

How hard is this? Romo actually knew his stuff and it was very refreshing.

In the end what we need is a good HC and a decent O-line coach and everything else should fall into place.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 10:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: One of the things that Romo mentioned that really sums up the Bengals as a whole during the Marvin Lewis era:
"Bengals done with their 20-play script. Packers should have a better idea of what's coming now."

Think back to how many games over the past 1.5 decades where the Bengals looked really good for the first 1-2 quarters then fell so flat in the second half of the game.
I think Romo really nailed it. It does feel like this team comes up with a sort of script to start off the game but never seems to follow it beyond a certain point and/or the script stops too soon and they have to get creative to finish out the game (which they seem to suck at).

This is so true and what has been discouraging for the last several years under Marvin Lewis.

He simply does not make adjustments after the half and he plays not to lose that's what bothers me the most.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is so true and what has been discouraging for the last several years under Marvin Lewis.

He simply does not make adjustments after the half and he plays not to lose that's what bothers me the most.

Yeah, it has become beyond predictable.

Look for it to happen again this week against the Browns. We get a lead and then try to sit on it and almost lose once again.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is so true and what has been discouraging for the last several years under Marvin Lewis.

When you start the game, you have a plan of attack.  Then the question is, do you have Plan B if the defense figures you out or are you just pulling plays out of a hat and hoping something hits?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: Provide conclusive proof that Dalton was allowed to audible out of the play. If you can't then you're just trolling.

You clearly have never played football nor know anyone who has.

Every formation has a set of audibles to change the play. Every... single... one.

The QB is allowed to check out of and audible to one of the plays off of that formation's tree at any time he sees fit. In no way can a coach force a QB to run something, either. There are ways for AD to change the blocking, from run to pass (and vice versa), etc. at the line. Andy's been a QB in the same system long enough to know what to do and the coaches to allow him some freedom. One of the things talked about in many interviews over the years is Andy pre-snap, his audibles, "check with me's", etc.

Maybe the play came in late and he didn't have time? Or, (more likely) Dalton just isn't as good as people have thought. He seems to be a product of the immense talent around him making him better.... not the other way around.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: You clearly have never played football nor know anyone who has.

Every formation has a set of audibles to change the play. Every... single... one.

Which NFL team did you play offense for?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Which NFL team did you play offense for?

I didn't say or infer that I did. But I think it's really really cute that you think that the only way for any human being on Earth to understand something as complicated as football that they have to play it professionally. It's adorable. Maybe I'll buy you another players jersey so you can get off of Dalton's nut sack for a bit and not feel so married to him.

To answer your question: NONE. But I have friends who have played D1 & II College, and high school. besides that, one of my best friends grew up with and was a roomate with guys who played in the NFL (Nick Mangold & AJ Hawk) It's easy to ask them about plays and audibles. It's also easy to listen to the broadcaster (who has played professionally) to point it out. I'm not wrong on this... or you would have told me how I made a mistake.

When someone only attacks the messenger instead of the actual message in a discussion, it's an admission of defeat. So, thanks for that.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:45 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I didn't say or infer that I did. But I think it's really really cute that you think that the only way for any human being on Earth to understand something as complicated as football that they have to play it professionally. 

I'm not the one that called out another poster saying, and I quote: "You clearly have never played football"

If you don't think the only way anyone can understand football is to have to play it professionally, why condescendingly state someone hasn't played football before?

(09-26-2017, 04:45 PM)PDub80 Wrote: To answer your question: NONE. 

So YOU have never played football before? Just like Joelist? Huh. Then why bring it up?

PDub80 Wrote:But I have friends who have played D1 & II College, and high school. besides that, one of my best friends grew up with and was a roomate with guys who played in the NFL (Nick Mangold & AJ Hawk)

And they ALL said there are audibles on "EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY."? Cool. I don't believe you, but cool.

PDub80 Wrote:When someone only attacks the messenger instead of the actual message in a discussion, it's an admission of defeat. So, thanks for that.

I didn't attack anyone. I asked a question. One in which your response was to attack me, so by your own logic you just admitted defeat. Thanks.

If anything, YOU were the one that started attack the messenger when you condescendingly stated that Joelist never played football ever.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
i played pop Warner , highschool, n community college for a year. we had audibles in highschool up. depending on how they stacked their front. im sure at the professional level they have as well. not just run or pass, but blocking, routes as well. if Dalton sees the safety creeping up audible out change the blocking n routes. he had 11 seconds on one of those plays..
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not the one that called out another poster saying, and I quote: "You clearly have never played football"

If you don't think the only way anyone can understand football is to have to play it professionally, why condescendingly state someone hasn't played football before?

So YOU have never played football before? Just like Joelist? Huh. Then why bring it up?

And they ALL said there are audibles on "EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY."? Cool. I don't believe you, but cool.

I didn't attack anyone. I asked a question. One in which your response was to attack me, so by your own logic you just admitted defeat. Thanks.

If anything, YOU were the one that started attack the messenger when you condescendingly stated that Joelist never played football ever.

To be super clear and address your post (in order)

- The poster I called out was snarking at another poster asking for something preposterous and then calling someone a troll for not being able to provide it.

- Your statement about playing professional football makes no sense on any level in this discussion and came out of left field. It's crazy talk. I have no idea what your second statement means or the purpose of it.

Furthermore, someone one who has played - or spoken to someone who has played football to any depth - would understand the concept of audibles being available on basically every down, which was the guy I was referring to's basis of argument. Therefor, I pointed out that he's never played the game or knows anyone who has because if he had he would know that information and not have made the snarky, stupid comment that he did. If he has no idea what he's talking about, he shouldn't be just blasting out BS at other posters asking for them to provide some nonsense proof and then calling them a troll if they don't.

- You did NOT ask if I had ever played football in general. You specifically asked "Which NFL team did you play offense for?" - end post. To which I answered no, but then gave personal information as to where I personally know and have spoken to actual players. Now, for some reason you think you asked me if I had ever played football in general. The answer to that is YES. I answered your question about NFL football and you tried to put words in my mouth. I'll big brother you all day if you're coming up with that kind of nonsense, kid.

Furthermore (again), I also pointed out that someone does not actually HAVE to have played football to understand it on a to a competent level when it comes to the subject matter. If he knew someone who does/did, he would probably know about audibles and not just assume they don't exist. Or, he could have researched them on his own. If he would have, he wouldn't have said what he said.

- YES, the QB has options on virtually every single play. No coach sends a guy out there with one absolute thing to do. They have to be able to change things as they see them and different variables are presented.

^ To double check this.... I literally JUST got off the phone with one of my life long best friends who was a 2 time all American DT in college football at the University of Indianapolis. He said that YES, every play and formation has audibles available for the QB to be able to reroute or change to given what the defense is doing.

^ To triple check THAT I called another buddy who was a 4 year starter DE at Mount St. Joe in Cincinnati. He said the exact same thing.

- You absolutely attacked me and said nothing more than that in your first post to me. Nor did you address anything I had written in the post you were attacking me from.

I snarked back at a guy in kind to how he spoke to someone else... then provided information to his point (you did not do this). I snarked back at you (and provided information to your points). THAT is wayyyyy different than what you did. Which was just to ask me literally "Which NFL team did you play offense for?". Which was a snarky, sarcastic, douchey comment attacking me and addressing ZERO of my points. For you to now claim that you didn't attack me is so little kid, it's hilarious.

Lastly, I did snark back at both of you... AND addressed your points.
Reply/Quote