Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Early 2023 5-Round Mock
(07-23-2022, 08:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is a safe assumption IMO.

Would love it if it happened just seems pretty out there that we would trade up that far for Mayer even though I would be
for it as he clearly looks like the next great TE to come out of Notre Dame. I know I am not having him in any of my Mocks
unless we disappoint big time this season and are picking in the teens.

Mayer got invited to Tight End University, which is hosted by Travis Kelce (Kansas City), George Kittle (San Francisco) and Greg Olsen (former NFL tight end). 

[Image: 0059849-ykfl-1280x720.jpg]

Quote:Tight End University is a multi-day retreat where NFL tight ends headed to Vanderbilt to get in a few workouts, learn in the classroom and simply have a good time at night. 

Mayer was part of the first class of collegiate tight ends to get invited to the event as he was joined by Michigan's Erick All and Alabama's Cameron Latu. 
"It was led by Rubicon, which is George Kittle's marketing agency,” Mayer told ISD. “Rubicon and Tight End U came together now that we can do some NIL stuff and they invited some 'rookies,' which is what they called us when we were there. 
"We got to do a sponsorship with Levi's jeans the first day and the second day, we got to train a little bit. We learned from Kelce, Kittle and Olsen was out there coaching a lot. We learned a lot in a few days."
The 6-foot-4, 251-pounder and the other college tight ends had to return early, so they didn't get whiteboard or classroom instruction, but Mayer made the most of his time on the field. 
"They had two more days at Vanderbilt, but we had to come home two days earlier because it was going to be a recruiting violation if we went,” stated Mayer. “We didn't get to do anything in the classroom, so all the stuff we were doing was on the field. 
"I learned a lot of good lessons and a lot of things that I need to work on - getting out of breaks this way and getting out of breaks that way. Leverage - that type of thing. I learned a lot about stuff like that." 
Mayer has been dominant since he stepped foot on campus as he's tallied 113 receptions for 1,290 yards and nine touchdowns in his first two seasons in the blue and gold. 
The accolades are long for the Kentucky native, but the event also served as motivation as Mayer heads into what is likely his last year at Notre Dame. 
"I have a ton of work I need to do,” explained Mayer. “Getting out of my breaks faster, reading the defender better and that type of thing. After that, I'm like, 'Alright, it's going to be a big July and I need to sit down with Coach (Gerad Parker) and talk about Tight End U and what I need to work on. 
"It's been great. I went there and I'm like, 'Dang, there is stuff I need to work on.' I'm out here thinking I'm pretty good and I go train with them and there are things I need to work on." 

Mayer also appreciated the willingness of the NFL veterans to teach college players, which is something they didn't have to do. 

"When I was training with them, I realized this was the first time me and the other college guys were training with pro guys who know a lot about the game of football,” Mayer said. “They were very patient with us and taught us a lot of good things. They could have gone out there and did their own thing, but they sat with us and helped us." 
Perhaps the biggest takeaway for Notre Dame's All-American tight end came off the field. 
Mayer was able to network, but also get to see how the NFL's best players conduct themselves when they aren't in pads. 
"It was a really cool thing to watch them go to work," Mayer stated. "The thing that really caught my eye was how they were off the field. Awesome guys, down the earth, no ego and it was fun to hang out with them on the field, but also off the field. It was good to get to know them away from the field and they're really good people." 
In fact, Mayer saw some similarities to how Notre Dame's players conduct themselves. 
"It's kind of the same way with every player,” he said. “They're not going to be the same person when training on the field as they would be off the field." 

This kid's going to be a Hall of Famer and would be a STEAL if we can trade up in the first to get him!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) Quentin Johnston, WR TCU (6'3", 193 lb) - While I don't think Johnston is a Day 1 starter, I think he has good potential and can take a year to groom as a WR4 and then take over for Higgins when Higgins likely leaves in FA the following year. If Jordan Addison is available when Bengals pick, I'd rather have him though.

1st round WR have always started their 1st year in Bengals. And Bengals have allowed no overlap; Green replaced Chad, and Chase replaced Green.

If Higgins isn’t retained after 2023 season, then Bengals may draft an early round WR in ‘24 draft.

With Burrow & Chase getting big $$, I would assume that Bengals would groom/draft young expensive defensive positions to eventually supplant expensive defensive starters I.e. CB (Awuzie), DE (Hendrickson), etc with overlap season a la Dax Hill drafted with Bates on FT.

This allows the transition from an expensive defense (current) to an expensive offense (following Burrow & Chase extensions).
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 10:49 AM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: 1st round WR have always started their 1st year in Bengals. And Bengals have allowed no overlap; Green replaced Chad, and Chase replaced Green.

If Higgins isn’t retained after 2023 season, then Bengals may draft an early round WR in ‘24 draft.

With Burrow & Chase getting big $$, I would assume that Bengals would groom/draft young expensive defensive positions to eventually supplant expensive defensive starters I.e. CB (Awuzie), DE (Hendrickson), etc with overlap season a la Dax Hill drafted with Bates on FT.

This allows the transition from an expensive defense (current) to an expensive offense (following Burrow & Chase extensions).

While true, there's a caveat with Green and Chase - they were both Top 5 picks.
I'm expecting the Bengals to be picking in the mid-20's, if not later.
And the Bengals have shown they don't force late-1st rounders into starting roles.
I think specifically of Tyler Eifert, who technically started 15 games his rookie year but really played behind Gresham until he took over at the full-fledged TE1 in 2015.

I also thought about going a DE in Rd 1, but I'm hoping Ossai comes along this year and can be that eventual Hendrickson replacement if needed.
CB would also make sense, but I think they'd favor WR over CB just because WR costs are skyrocketing in FA.

I also think WR can make sense because as you said paying big $$ to Burrow and Chase, but also to (hopefully) Jonah Williams.
They won't be able to have a lot of expensive offensive veterans after this year or next.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote