Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Early Mock
1. Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson 6'5" 265

The Bengals are expected to wind up with approximately the 10th overall pick. After the initial frenzy on DTs, edge defenders, QBs, and LBs, they will be looking for an impact player rather than looking to plug a hole.  Thanks to the depth of the class, a hyper-athlete D-lineman will fall into their laps.  Ferrell has been a legitimate terror off the edge for a few years, improving his stoutness and awareness against the run along the way.  The other Clemson d-line prospects had the benefit of cleaning up plays where Ferrell caused the QB to run for their lives.

2. Andre Dillard OT Washington State 6'5" 310

Tackle prospects who may actually be able to pass protect are at a premium.  His feet and reactionary quickness are very good, though he is not exactly a bulldozer.

3. Beau Benzchawel OG Wisconsin 6'6" 315

This guy IS exactly a bulldozer.  High upside power guard who could be really good if he improves on his blocking in space.

4. Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo 6'2" 207

Strong, sticky-handed, good route runner, high-pointer, punishing blocker.  Long speed and quick twitch shortcomings keep him out of the first three rounds.  In the modern league you need several targets who can actually catch the ball.  Johnson is good for that.

5. Dre Greenlaw LB Arkansas 6' 229

Rangy, instinctive lb.  Could potentially be a plus coverage LB, but hasn't played with great decisiveness or aggression.  

6. Matt Sokol TE Michigan State 6'6" 250

Blocking TE.

7. Darrin Hall RB Pittsburgh 5'11" 225

Sledgehammer of a power back to run at dinky pass rushers and coverage LBs.

All in all, I think that the roster has too many holes for them to try to plug in one draft.  Between LBs, o-line, d-line, TEs, and WRs, they're going to have to neglect some deficiencies and go for the players/areas who they feel may make the greater impact.  In this scenario I predicted o-line early, but maybe they'll wind up going heavy on LBs/DTs to help out the run defense. 
Reply/Quote
I just don't see the Bengals going for a DE so early after drafting three DEs in the past two years and extending Dunlap.
If DL were to be selected, I think DT makes more sense, but I think LB makes the most sense. I would have big concern that LB isn't selected until Day 3. I liked Beau from Wisconsin last year as a mid-round prospect, so I'm all about that pick.
I assume from not taking TE until Day 3 and it being a blocking TE, the Bengals are getting a TE in FA or re-signing current guys?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here's my case for why it would make sense to go DE in round 1: 

1.  The D-line isn't getting it done.  So far the D is ranked dead last in giving up rushing yards and is tied for 26th place in sacks.  That all starts up front.
2.  Pass rush is a premium skill.  Nothing helps a defense like a good pass rush.  Coming in at a close second may be the ability of a D-line to shut down the run.  The capability to speed up an opposing QB's internal clock, make them or their coaching staff fear for the QB's comfort/safety, and ultimately the capability to neutralize the other teams's most valuable position shouldn't be underestimated.  Freeney and Mathis stole two Super Bowls from BB and Brady - this should never be forgotten.
3.  The state of the roster.  Dunlap and Atkins are both really good players, but not the types of guys who you want to take every snap of a game.  Lawson and Hubbard have shown promise, but haven't earned bona-fide "good/elite starter" status.  Looking beyond the d-line, or defense for that matter, the current roster has quite a few holes.  Paraphrasing many great NFL minds, "There isn't much point in drafting a certain position if you don't wind up drafting a good player."  The Bengals need to start hitting big with their first rounders if they ever want to crack top third in the league status.
4.  The depth of the class.  I like quite a few of the pass rushers in this class.  At least 2 or 3 of the DTs and some of the lb/edge guys will be gone by the time that the Bengals pick.  I really like Q. Willams and White, but would expect them both to be gone. Oliver and Brown may not be great DTs if not allowed to run wild and get after the QB. Should the draft fall to where a DE looks to be the BPA, I don't see how the Bengals can logically pass that player up. I really like both Ferrell and Allen.

As for neglecting LB and TE:  I don't like it either, but this is not the 2015 Bengals roster.  Realistically, they are going to have to pick their poison with which "weak spots" they are going to neglect in the draft.  Do you try to protect your QB with young o-line, help your d-line, go straight BPA, or do you bet on young guys being better than Vigil/Evans/Thompson/Bell?  I think that the Bengals understand that they don't have the depth or elite starting talent to sit on their hands at any position, and should go with their best options available.  My opinion is admittedly skewed here:  I lean toward the old Andy Reid(among others) build through the trenches way of thinking.
Reply/Quote
You want to improve the pass rush? The quickest way to make that happen is to put an unstoppable force in at NT. Someone who commands the attention of two blockers, every down he plays. This will allow for not only the rest of the DL to be more aggressive, but make stunts and LB blitzes much more effective.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ferrell is a possible BPA here to me. He is that good a player imo.

His stats are very similar to Joey Bosa in college productivity

Ferrell....42 games, 26 sacks, 47.5 TFL, 156 tackles

Bosa…...41 games, 26 sacks, 50.5 TFL, 150 tackles
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 09:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You want to improve the pass rush?  The quickest way to make that happen is to put an unstoppable force in at NT.  Someone who commands the attention of two blockers, every down he plays.  This will allow for not only the rest of the DL to be more aggressive, but make stunts and LB blitzes much more effective.

I'd love if this were to come true, I just don't see V. Wilfork 2.0 being available at the 10th pick of this year's draft. It looks like 2 or 3 DTs will be off the board by then, and that this year's class has more elite 5, 4, and 3 technique dudes than 1 and 0 technique types. I'm not in love with Dexter Lawrence out of Clemson. One foot injury and he could be a chronic injury case, or he could eat himself out of football.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty good, overall. As you said, the Bengals are going to have some weak spots if they don't plug some holes in FA.
Reply/Quote
If the Ferrell pick means Johnson has played his last game then I'm dancing for joy! The biggest concern I have for Dillard is the strength of his base. If he can keep from getting steamrolled ala Ogbuehi in the senior bowl practices vs. much better competition than he played in the Pac 12 that would help put those concerns to rest.
Reply/Quote
The first round pick should always be about BPA, and even more when the pick is a top 10 or close to it.
With that said, I'd love if we get Ferrell. IMO he's the second best player in this draft.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of Ferrell. Extremely overrated for 2 years now.
Reply/Quote
There bigger needs than Defensive End on the roster but if you feel he is the best available then I have no problem with.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote