Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Soon To Throw In The Towel?
(07-29-2019, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny that people think Marvin is so bad, yet they cite the 4-1 start last year and injuries derailing the season. That 4-1 start would be WITH Marvin as HC.

There seems to be this assumption that everyone here thinks Marvin is bad, but I don't think that's what we're really saying. I personally think Marvin's a pretty good coach, but he was here for 16 years. His message was stale, his approach was stale, and the team desperately needed a change. That's no real knock on Marvin because I think that would happen with 90% of the coaches out there. Just because he had to go doesn't mean he is or was a bad coach.

As far as the 4-1 start, I don't know how much of that I look back at and necessarily credit to Marvin. They came out pretty flat against both Indy and Miami for example, so the team wasn't exactly screaming "wow what a well coached squad" to me to begin with.
Reply/Quote
I am confident that the Bengals will never "throw in the towel".

Mike Brown won't let them do it because towels cost too much to be throwing away.
Reply/Quote
Not having Green to start the season hurts but if initial reports are true that it's only 6 to 8 weeks then he should be on Target to return by week 3. So his injury as of now should not be a season ender.
I think our Offensive line can be slightly less than average unit and our LB core could surprise especially if Vigil is healthy all year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Waaaaaayyyy to soon
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Giving up isn't an option. The games will be played.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 05:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Too soon. Should have made it a poll question. Cool

[Image: funny-important-questions-14png.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 06:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: funny-important-questions-14png.png]

If I were a dog, I'd be wearing my pants like the second option.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 06:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: funny-important-questions-14png.png]

Overalls. Problem solved.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 08:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Overalls. Problem solved.

I think selection A would be considered overalls, or not, idk.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 01:46 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Well, our best receiver is injured and the Oline has needs. Lets see who steps up to fill the void. I'm not predicting the playoffs, but we should be at least 6-10 this season. Maybe there will be a few players that shine for their opportunity to play. Don't give up yet as the season has not even started. Our new coach will need to do his job.

The biggest secret this season is the DEFENSE is gonna win us the SUPER BOWL.   Yes
Reply/Quote
Meh, let's see where we are at about 11:30 PM September 30. That's after our only primetime game, and after our game against the Steelers. If we're 2-2 or better that point, then there's hope. If, however, we're 0-4, then you can throw in your towel and mine as well.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Every team will suffer injuries, not just the Bengals. If every team throws in the towel, what would we watch on Sundays? Curling?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 09:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Every team will suffer injuries, not just the Bengals.  If every team throws in the towel, what would we watch on Sundays?  Curling?

Every team has also won a playoff game since we last have too. It's a number of factors that contribute to our demise...but it seems less dominos need to fall for us to have a  bad year than say the Steelers who seem pretty resilient.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 10:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Every team has also won a playoff game since we last have too. It's a number of factors that contribute to our demise...but it seems less dominos need to fall for us to have a  bad year than say the Steelers who seem pretty resilient.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if JuJu and Villanueva both went down with injury the Steelers would also be in trouble. It's not like the Steelers are overflowing with depth at WR anymore either, and OT is obviously at a premium as the level of play at the position in the NFL has overall been on the decline.

Which isn't to say I think the Bengals are completely screwed by any stretch, but an uphill battle is still an uphill battle.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 09:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Every team will suffer injuries, not just the Bengals.  If every team throws in the towel, what would we watch on Sundays?  Curling?

[Image: brodo-you-even-curl-16217771.png]
If a fantasy curling league doesn't exist, it damn well ought to  ThumbsUp
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Has anyone went back out and retrieved the towel since throwing it in 2016?

Don't seem like it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 08:11 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: [Image: brodo-you-even-curl-16217771.png]
If a fantasy curling league doesn't exist, it damn well ought to  ThumbsUp

That is a great photo. I would be in a hospital after doing that...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...we've already lost Williams who was probably going to be our best lineman, Boling who was our best lineman for the last couple years, and AJ Green who is our best player on the roster.

Does that count as staying healthy?

Well...Never seeing Williams play we can't really say he was Probably going to be our best linesman, For all we know he might turn out to be another ogbuehi or Ross.
Also AJ looks like missing 1 game but I guess our season will already be over by then with the panic going on amongst some posters on here

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:58 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Well...Never seeing Williams play we can't really say he was Probably going to be our best linesman, For all we know he might turn out to be another ogbuehi or Ross.
Also AJ looks like missing 1 game but I guess our season will already be over by then with the panic going on amongst some posters on here

The latest news on Green looks like he will be missing multiple games. I'd say 3 is the best case now with possibility of more...but who knows.

It's funny, we draft Williams and people talk about how great he is going to be. He gets hurt and is going to miss the year and now it's for all we know he might be a bust and we aren't missing much.

I think at minimum he is better than Hart and Glenn played last year...but definitely there are no guarantees. The thought of Williams being a bust is depressing.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The latest news on Green looks like he will be missing multiple games. I'd say 3 is the best case now with possibility of more...but who knows.

I've been telling myself he'll be back week 4 for the Pittsburgh game in prime time. That's longer than 8 weeks, so if he's right on schedule I'll end up being pleasantly surprised.

One thing nobody seems willing to consider is how his return might also be linked to how the Bengals start the season. If they steal the game in Seattle, for example (still not impossible IMO, and they're going to be missing several players on defense it sounds like), I could see them being a lot more lenient when it comes to potentially rushing him back. Even without AJ I think SF and Buffalo are winnable games. I don't think a 2-1 start is out of the question even now.
Reply/Quote