Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Airing it Out" in Sirius
This board is so far cautiously optimistic, which is the correct place to be. Even with Zac's bad play calling in a couple of spots we looked like a legitimate professional football team out there and won.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 05:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Guessing Burrow is not considered an Ohio State product since he left for LSU and a National Championship 

I said "drafted from Ohio St" for a reason.
Joe Burrow was not drafted from Ohio St, nor did he really even play for them.
39 pass attempts total while at Ohio St compared to 906 at LSU.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 01:23 PM)Big Boss Wrote: This team has historically not done well against rookie QBs, so for that reason alone I'd be less confident if Fields got the start (or replaced Dalton fairly early on).

I have no worries about Andy Dalton, especially if our defensive line plays the way it did last week.

(09-17-2021, 02:22 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: I agree.   I am wary of our record against rookie QBs.   Historically, we've made them look better then they are at that stage of their career.  

Fields is also a mobile QB, so the front seven will need to play solid,fundamentally sound football and stick to their assignments.   Otherwise, Fields could hurt us with his running as well as his arm.  

Yeah, if I was the Bears I would start Fields. It would give them a much better chance against us than Andy.

Nothing against Andy, he just looks a lot like a worse Cousins at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 05:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: This board is so far cautiously optimistic, which is the correct place to be. Even with Zac's bad play calling in a couple of spots we looked like a legitimate professional football team out there and won.

True, I like it.

The home field advantage and Fields running ability are really my main concerns.

The fans can change the game like what our guys did to the Vike's last Sunday.

Need to take the crowd out of it early.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bob Papa and Charlie Weiss both picked Chicago. Funny thing is, Weiss said he expects a QB change in the game. So what he is basically saying, is Dalton is going to suck and Fields will be brought in to replace him. Now, I can seem them picking Da' Bears if Good Andy shows up and gets the ball out quick, but if he is struggling because of coverage, and the bring Fields in, the D-line is gonna eat. Ah, such is life with the Bengals... no respect. Of course both these comedians picked Minnesota last week as well.

I'd rather the Bengals not face Fields in this game. The thought immediately reminded me of Brett Farves coming in to replace the injured Majkowski to turn a 3-17 deficit into a win that started his HoF career. This was 1992, the start of the Bengals long long losing times with Mirk Brown at the helm.

Reply/Quote
I saw a few mentions of the historical “Bengals bad against rookie QBs” argument… have we played any rookie QBs with Lou as D coordinator? I can’t recall honestly. Maybe Baker?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 08:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I saw a few mentions of the historical “Bengals bad against rookie QBs” argument… have we played any rookie QBs with Lou as D coordinator? I can’t recall honestly. Maybe Baker?

Tua is the only rookie qb that I can recall.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bob Papa and Charlie Weiss both picked Chicago. Funny thing is, Weiss said he expects a QB change in the game. So what he is basically saying, is Dalton is going to suck and Fields will be brought in to replace him. Now, I can seem them picking Da' Bears if Good Andy shows up and gets the ball out quick, but if he is struggling because of coverage, and the bring Fields in, the D-line is gonna eat. Ah, such is life with the Bengals... no respect. Of course both these comedians picked Minnesota last week as well.

There was a thread or post last week about Cynthia Frelund and her "model" (computer simulations) and i pointed out how often it's wrong. 

Just for context, her model was 7-8 last week on the 15 Sunday and Monday games. One of those Ls being the Bengals game.

That being what it is, as they say, respect is earned and the Bengals haven't really earned any yet. 

P.S. She's picking the Bears this week.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 01:23 PM)Big Boss Wrote: This team has historically not done well against rookie QBs, so for that reason alone I'd be less confident if Fields got the start (or replaced Dalton fairly early on).

I have no worries about Andy Dalton, especially if our defensive line plays the way it did last week.

While true, I think this was a function of many DCs that didn't want to be aggressive as far as blitzing and confusion goes (which is beyond me why, but I digress), but this coaching staff seems to have a much more aggressive personality and has the personnel to rotate in and get some real pressure.  

I am rooting for Fields outside of this game, but I have noticed he BADLY stares down his WR and gets extreme tunnel vision...like he doesn't see anything else....such as an oncoming pass rusher.  The guy is big, strong, and fast, though.  He can make plays with his legs.  

Hoping Dalton plays well enough to stay on the field, but not well enough to win :)
Reply/Quote
I think we stand a better chance against Fields than Dalton. Dalton is so quick getting the ball out, our D line won't be able to get to him. Fields, while a more dangerous runner, won't be as quick and will be subjected to more pressure.

And FWIW, on "Moving the Chains" Pat and Jim seemed to be picking the Bengals. I wasn't listening when they did the official picks, but when they were discussing the game they were definitely leaning Bengals.  They said Chicago's defenders won't be able to contain Chase, Higgins and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, if I was the Bears I would start Fields. It would give them a much better chance against us than Andy.

Nothing against Andy, he just looks a lot like a worse Cousins at this point in his career.

Yep.   If I were a Bears fan and/or coach, I would be going with Fields as well.   I do think he gives them a better chance of beating us.    Even though he will make his share of rookie mistakes, he is their QB of the future.  

Now if Andy were heads/tails better then Fields, then my story changes and I let Fields learn / develop behind Andy, but that doesn't appear to be the case at this point.  
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 10:59 AM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Yep.   If I were a Bears fan and/or coach, I would be going with Fields as well.   I do think he gives them a better chance of beating us.    Even though he will make his share of rookie mistakes, he is their QB of the future.  

Now if Andy were heads/tails better then Fields, then my story changes and I let Fields learn / develop behind Andy, but that doesn't appear to be the case at this point.  

The Bears have a very weak O-line.  That puts more pressure on a QB to make quick reads and decisions.  Fields is probably better than Dalton in some areas, but right now the Bears need Andy's experience and decision making skills.

But you have to think Fields is starting by the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bears have a very weak O-line.  That puts more pressure on a QB to make quick reads and decisions.  Fields is probably better than Dalton in some areas, but right now the Bears need Andy's experience and decision making skills.

But you have to think Fields is starting by the end of the season.

While that is true, we know all too well how Andy performs with a weak oline.     If our DLine can continue their play from last week, I don't know that Andy really gives them much more of an advantage.    If nothing else, the threat of Fields running could slow down our pass rush a little.   Especially if we don't play sound D and he is able to escape and break off a few runs.  

I do agree, by the end of the season, Fields is Chicago's starter.    
Reply/Quote
I’m pretty confident about picking the Bengals to win this game.The Bengals are the more talented team overall.But Fields worries me a little bit.Not Andy Dalton.I just hope the Bengals defense game planned for fields.This guy is lighting fast,and has a strong arm.A lot different than Dalton.I guarantee he’ll be in the game at some point.Whether they’re leading or not.They’ll have some plays set up for him specifically.

If he has success,this could change the complexion of the game.Bears coaching staff are just itching to start him,but I just don’t think they’re quite confident enough yet in his knowledge of the Offense.
Reply/Quote