Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many carries for Mixon
Mixon has never had more than 280 carries in a season.

Over the previous 5 seasons only 4 RBs have had more than 300 carries in a season. Zeke Elliott (3) and Derrick Henry (2) are the only two RBs to have done it more than once in the last 5 seasons.

With Mixon's history of injuries (only one full 16 game season in 4 years) I think it is important to manage his carries. 300 carries equals about 18 carries per game.

I want the Bengals to continue running the ball a lot, so it is very important for one of our back up RBs to step up and play well. Right now it is clear the Perine is our #2 back but he seemed to have some trouble in pass blocking. I like Chris Evans' potential, but I have no idea if he can pass block. Either way we need to get 10-12 carries from those guys if we are going to be running the ball 30 times a game.

BTW FootballOutsiders had a very good study of how workload impacts RB, and they found that carries are what counts. There does not seem to be a lot of proof that the number of receptions has an impact on wearing down a RB (or at least not near as bad as rush attempts) So I would be fine with Mixon getting 18 carries and 4 receptions a game. That would be 306 carries and 68 receptions. That is really a lot of touches, but Mixon is being paid to carry that type of load.
Reply/Quote
Completely agree with you. I want Mixon to be the "bellcow" but not get 30 carries a game. Evans intrigues me the most of the complimentary options, but the pass protection is certainly the variable in being able to do so. It's been a long time, but he did look good pass blocking against Wisconsin back in 2017 lol. He certainly seems to be a "willing" pass blocker, but the mental aspect is also very critical (like Mixon's mistake on the Vigil sack Sunday).
Reply/Quote
We are a better offense with Mixon on field. We paid the guy 12 mil a year, so we should be using him more. Hes earned his opportunity to be the bell cow and we should continue using him as often as possible.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 05:28 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: We are a better offense with Mixon on field.  We paid the guy 12 mil a year, so we should be using him more.  Hes earned his opportunity to be the bell cow and we should continue using him as often as possible.

Actually Mixon's $48 million contract was paid out over 5 seasons.  So we are not paying him $12 million per year.

But he was still paid VERY WELL so I would like to get as much production as possible out of him.

It is better to get 300 carries in 17 games than 150 in 6.
Reply/Quote
Sure would be nice to have a relief back who could pass protect like....oh, I dunno.... Gio.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 05:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sure would be nice to have a relief back who could pass protect like....oh, I dunno.... Gio.

I like Gio, but was ok with allocating money elsewhere, and also not sharing so much of the backfield with Mixon.
Reply/Quote
I thought it was more carries then needed. I did like how they tried to get Perine involved some. It didn't seem so forced as it had in prior years (one drive for Mixon, one drive for Gio). 30 carries is too much tho. Save him for December (and hopefully January).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Get Chris Evans more snaps as the offense gets rolling.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I also completely agree and think the team needs to monitor how many carries he gets. Get Perine more involved and try and get them some more targets along with Evans.
Reply/Quote
Go back to the old 2 series-1 series Marvin approach
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Go back to the old 2 series-1 series Marvin approach

Does not have to be an strict rotation, but when you give a back a break it should be for an entire series.  If you just pull him out for a play or two he never really gets much of a break.
Reply/Quote
When we start blowing teams out Perine’s carries will go up and Joe can take a break.
Reply/Quote
Or getting blown out and he will stop carrying it and get those receptions
Reply/Quote
I understand limiting the workload but he looked very good Sunday. He was skinny in the hole had excellent vision and played with power. He didnt break off any long runs but if he keeps running like that he will.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I feel like I’m beating a dead horse, but I really feel like Bernard had a lot of value—especially in shotgun in pass protection, running routes, and rushing out of shotgun. Now week one they say two sacks are on the running backs. Not a good start. I get the wanting to get younger, but we gotta protect Burrow now. Hope to see the young backs improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 09:17 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I feel like I’m beating a dead horse, but I really feel like Bernard had a lot of value—especially in shotgun in pass protection, running routes, and rushing out of shotgun. Now week one they say two sacks are on the running backs. Not a good start. I get the wanting to get younger, but we gotta protect Burrow now. Hope to see the young backs improve.

Gio was one of my favorite players.  Most people don't realize how much he really did.  In 2019, the only season where Mixon played all 16 games, Gio still played 40% of the offensive snaps.

But I also felt he was overpaid.  So I did not complain when we released him.

Now that we have not extended Bates I wish we had kept him.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully he can stay healthy since the Ravens are putting RBs through a woodchipper.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 05:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sure would be nice to have a relief back who could pass protect like....oh, I dunno.... Gio.

I love me some Gio Bernard, but dude was taking up a LOT of cap space for his 12 snaps a game.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 05:57 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I like Gio, but was ok with allocating money elsewhere, and also not sharing so much of the backfield with Mixon.

I'm sure he took a discount for the chance to get a ring, but Gio is the 3rd RB in TB and they're the NFL team that is closest to the cap, I believe. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure he took a discount for the chance to get a ring, but Gio is the 3rd RB in TB and they're the NFL team that is closest to the cap, I believe. 

Perine sucks at everything. I want to see Chris Evans get a shot.  I think he fits the offense better and get basically be the new younger version of Gio..
Reply/Quote