Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many white people in top national security positions
(05-14-2016, 02:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Well, that's a concern by some. That disproportionate education funding and opportunities prohibits minorities from advancing in math and science careers.  More affluent neighborhoods receive most of the education dollars. Those neighborhoods tend to be  mostly white.

More 2 parent homes .... The more successful the kids.   
(05-14-2016, 02:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: More 2 parent homes .... The more successful the kids.   

Agreed. But that's all rolled into the same problem. Criminal recidivism, the cycle of criminal behavior, cultural acceptance. The bulk of the is economic, but the answer is speculative. Giving people money doesn't always break the cycle. Giving people in need no assistance doesnt always either. The answer is likely somewhere in the middle, but the solution gets lost when people try to make it a racial issue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-14-2016, 02:37 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. But that's all rolled into the same problem. Criminal recidivism, the cycle of criminal behavior, cultural acceptance. The bulk of the is economic, but the answer is speculative. Giving people money doesn't always break the cycle. Giving people in need no assistance doesnt always either. The answer is likely somewhere in the middle, but the solution gets lost when people try to make it a racial issue.

A lot of the problems you listed have direct relationship with SJW choosing winners 
(05-14-2016, 02:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Well, that's a concern by some. That disproportionate education funding and opportunities prohibits minorities from advancing in math and science careers.  More affluent neighborhoods receive most of the education dollars. Those neighborhoods tend to be  mostly white.

That's a cop out.  Any student with an interest in science will want to learn science. See Ben Carson who grew up amongst hood rats.

I live in a community having a school system that is always ranked among the top school systems in Ohio. People from all cultures move here because of the school system.
In our lovely community we have Black, White, Indian and Asian students. Lots of Jews. Very diverse.

Who's pictures adorn the hallways because of academic achievements in the sciences? Pick any of the above except for the black.
Walking into the place I feel like I'm in China. The Chinese kids fare the best.

You'll see pictures of black students over by the gym next to the trophy case wearing their football or basketball gear.
(05-14-2016, 02:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: More 2 parent homes .... The more successful the kids.   

[Image: 119253-117284.jpg]

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/presidents-raised-by-single-moms-is-a-story-as-old-as-america/article/2543093

Quote:America. The land of opportunity where "the son of a single momcan be president of the greatest nation on Earth," as President Obama put it in his State of the Union speech Tuesday.

Of course he was referring to his favorite subject — himself — as if he'd blazed a new trail of opportunity.

But in fact, the story of presidents being raised by single mothers is as old as America itself. George Washington's mother,

Mary, became a widow when he was 11. Thomas Jefferson was raised by his mother, Jane Randolph Jefferson, after his father died when he was 14.

And Andrew Jackson's father, like Bill Clinton's, died before he was born.

And I used that article because it was actually using it as an ATTACK on Obama for being proud of being raised by a single mom...since LOTS of people ahve done it and been successful.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-14-2016, 03:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: A lot of the problems you listed have direct relationship with SJW choosing winners 

Forgot to mention this:

Only two people have used "SJW" on this board.  One was a newcomer with maybe 4 posts in PNR.

The other just did it.

Interesting.
(05-14-2016, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Forgot to mention this:

Only two people have used "SJW" on this board.  One was a newcomer with maybe 4 posts in PNR.

The other just did it.

Interesting.

http://thebengalsboard.com/search.php?action=results&sid=9ebc0c37749d29492d7fe84dcbee7cca&sortby=&order=desc
(05-14-2016, 11:08 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/search.php?action=results&sid=9ebc0c37749d29492d7fe84dcbee7cca&sortby=&order=desc

I did that.

Most of those are quotes of someone else or asking what SJW meant.

The first person to use it did so in their very first post in PNR and the only post they have commented in (I think) in PNR.

Then it was done again yesterday.

Smirk
(05-14-2016, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: I did that.

Most of those are quotes of someone else or asking what SJW meant.

The first person to use it did so in their very first post in PNR and the only post they have commented in (I think) in PNR.

Then it was done again yesterday.

Smirk

Are you triggered? Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(05-14-2016, 11:31 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Are you triggered? Ninja

I'm observant....  Ninja

I know a little something about scholarships and I agree the funding is disproportionate, maybe just not in the way you are asserting here.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-14-2016, 11:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I know a little something about scholarships and I agree the funding is disproportionate, maybe just not in the way you are asserting here.
I agree with this also, but scholarships at the college level and tapping into student potential in elementary or high school are two separate issues.
(05-14-2016, 10:16 AM)Vlad Wrote: That's a cop out.  Any student with an interest in science will want to learn science. See Ben Carson who grew up amongst hood rats.

I live in a community having a school system that is always ranked among the top school systems in Ohio. People from all cultures move here because of the school system.
In our lovely community we have Black, White, Indian and Asian students. Lots of Jews. Very diverse.

Who's pictures adorn the hallways because of academic achievements in the sciences? Pick any of the above except for the black.
Walking into the place I feel like I'm in China. The Chinese kids fare the best.

You'll see pictures of black students over by the gym next to the trophy case wearing their football or basketball gear.

So a 10 year old growing up with his grandparents in eastern Kentucky poverty gets funding and parents to move to your neighborhood?

Wow, that's awesome. Problem solved I guess. Lets move on to ending world hunger.

Ps, the racist shot there at the end only goes to further the point that not enough emphasis or opportunities are made.
(05-14-2016, 12:04 PM)Benton Wrote: I agree with this also, but scholarships at the college level and tapping into student potential in elementary or high school are two separate issues.

Sure they are and we make concessions for entry standards to address this. You give me a minority that wants a higher education in a STEM field and as long as they were able to maintain a C average in school (even this can be waived) and I can show them how to obtain a scholarship.

Others will show them how to apply for subsidies.

(05-14-2016, 12:06 PM)Benton Wrote: So a 10 year old growing up with his grandparents in eastern Kentucky poverty gets funding and parents to move to your neighborhood?

Wow, that's awesome. Problem solved I guess. Lets move on to ending world hunger.

Ps, the racist shot there at the end only goes to further the point that not enough emphasis or opportunities are made.

You are so out of touch with reality. What you're suggesting didn't happen overnight.
I've lived in this community for 26yrs and it has been diverse for as long as I remember...what I said was all true...but go ahead throw in accusations of me being a racist because the truth hurts. Its what you always do anyway.

The majority of black flight from Cleveland into the outer suburbs occurred back in the 70's and 80's.

There is a lot to be said about black students who accuse other black students of "acting white" as these other blacks are sitting in the library trying to learn something.
Its not just about the money Benton...its about the upbringing, its about the culture.

Your accusations of me being a racist is disturbing Benton. Not a thread goes discussing the problems of minorities when one of plays the racist card.
The term racist gets tossed around a little too freely in this forum.
(05-14-2016, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure they are and we make concessions for entry standards to address this. You give me a minority that wants a higher education in a STEM field and as long as they were able to maintain a C average in school (even this can be waived) and I can show them how to obtain a scholarship.

Others will show them how to apply for subsidies.
The point is its not about a "minority that wants a higher education in a STEM field" its about the minorities that never knew they had an inclination or interest in those fields.

It's about exposure to those subjects at a young age by someone that's competent to foster the interest. A kid from a very poor area isn't going to have the same access to books or educators to promote that interest. Just waiting until they get 18 and just hope throwing money down the road will solve the problem. Its too late by then.
(05-14-2016, 03:52 PM)Benton Wrote: The point is its not about a "minority that wants a higher education in a STEM field" its about the minorities that never knew they had an inclination or interest in those fields.

It's about exposure to those subjects at a young age by someone that's competent to foster the interest. A kid from a very poor area isn't going to have the same access to books or educators to promote that interest. Just waiting until they get 18 and just hope throwing money down the road will solve the problem. Its too late by then.

Can't say I'm a fan of the 18 is too late mentality.

(05-14-2016, 03:52 PM)Benton Wrote: The point is its not about a "minority that wants a higher education in a STEM field" its about the minorities that never knew they had an inclination or interest in those fields.

And you are pointing to the bigger problem that I alluded to, in an earlier post.  It is about family values, living in a home where people actually work for a living, striving to rise above the current status.  This happens much easier in a two parent home, where the parents make a unified front to discourage the temptations of street life and "easy money". 

My wife used to teach school in Charleston WV, in a not so nice section of town.  Her average class was 80-90% minority.  The vast majority of those being single parent homes.  According to her, the biggest problem with getting those kids to succeed in class, was getting the mothers to get on board with their kids buying into "traditional society", i.e. education taking them above their current existence, working for a living having actual merit in life, etc. 

I'm all for a minimum living salary.  I just feel like the person should do something of value to productive society to earn it, rather than simply get handed money for doing nothing of value.  There are plenty of occupations that folks could contribute to, regardless of life situation.  If you are able bodied, you can do physical work.  If you're a single mom, you are given a laptop and data entry training.  Jobs like that can be done at any hour, when the kids are sleeping or at school.  See my point?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-14-2016, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And you are pointing to the bigger problem that I alluded to, in an earlier post.  It is about family values, living in a home where people actually work for a living, striving to rise above the current status.  This happens much easier in a two parent home, where the parents make a unified front to discourage the temptations of street life and "easy money". 

My wife used to teach school in Charleston WV, in a not so nice section of town.  Her average class was 80-90% minority.  The vast majority of those being single parent homes.  According to her, the biggest problem with getting those kids to succeed in class, was getting the mothers to get on board with their kids buying into "traditional society", i.e. education taking them above their current existence, working for a living having actual merit in life, etc. 

I'm all for a minimum living salary.  I just feel like the person should do something of value to productive society to earn it, rather than simply get handed money for doing nothing of value.  There are plenty of occupations that folks could contribute to, regardless of life situation.  If you are able bodied, you can do physical work.  If you're a single mom, you are given a laptop and data entry training.  Jobs like that can be done at any hour, when the kids are sleeping or at school.  See my point?
I feel like you're going in two directions here. I may just not be following.

At the start it seems like we're talking about education, but then you move on to a welfare kind of thing.

What I'm referring to is more the need to expose young people to a variety of subjects, regardless of race or income. That's more difficult to do in poorer income districts because of the way most states fund education.