Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too nostalgic?
(02-25-2020, 11:38 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Are the Bengals fans too nostalgic? Do we try to live in the not so glorious past? Posts about bringing back past their prime players when they know they will never be what they once were only magnifies the dilemma the team faces when trying to reinvent themselves. While veteran presence is a positive thing you can't sacrifice replacing players who are the future. Whit, Burfict, Dalton and even AJ are not the future of the franchise. Do you re-sign any of them when you could get a better younger FA player? The remake of the team is stunted when we ignore the obvious.

The only one of those players I want is Whit, and that's assuming he gets a vet minimum type of contract to hold down a spot for one year.

Even the best teams make such moves. Now keeping AJ Green on a 3 year/$45 million type of contract? That would be paying the man based on nostalgia, not on what he's done lately.

To answer your question, I think a lot of people on here lower their standards to match what they think can logically be expected. Retreads that used to play for us is right up our alley. We've brought back players like Crocker, Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and many others.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 10:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only one of those players I want is Whit, and that's assuming he gets a vet minimum type of contract to hold down a spot for one year.

Even the best teams make such moves. Now keeping AJ Green on a 3 year/$45 million type of contract? That would be paying the man based on nostalgia, not on what he's done lately.

To answer your question, I think a lot of people on here lower their standards to match what they think can logically be expected. Retreads that used to play for us is right up our alley. We've brought back players like Crocker, Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and many others.

That is true, but when AJ has been healthy he is a top 5 WR and he isn't some old guy.

The deal has to take into account his injury history. 

The fact he hasn't played in 24 consecutive games HAS to be taken into account no matter where he goes.

Burrow wants him here is the bottom line to me though, so I am no longer on the fence about extending AJ.
Reply/Quote
We should bring back Paul Brown, but for some strange reason I have a feeling he'll refuse to cooperate.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote