Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Aggressive Coaches
Found this article about aggressive coach rankings interesting. One big difference between ZT and Marvin is this very factor. I thought this list had a lot of good coaches, so seeing ZT up there was a bit of a surprise..

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-most-aggressive-head-coaches-in-today-s-nfl

He put a lot of trust in Joe to convert key 4th downs to keep us in games. Thankfully, Joe always delivered.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 10:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Found this article about aggressive coach rankings interesting. One big difference between ZT and Marvin is this very factor.  I thought this list had a lot of good coaches, so seeing ZT up there was a bit of a surprise..

He put a lot of trust in Joe to convert key 4th downs to keep us in games. Thankfully, Joe always delivered.

At one point in the season, it was pointed out that we were on track to record the most 4th down conversions, 4th down conversion percentage, and 4th down attempts for a season.  I don't know if we ultimately set the record for any of them in the end...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Zac does a lot of things opposite of the things we hated Marvin for doing, such as:

Coaching conservatively

playing Vets over younger players

Using Time outs

Giggling

Making the Playoffs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Zac does a lot of things opposite of the things we hated Marvin for doing, such as:

Coaching conservatively

Using Time outs

Giggling

Making the Playoffs

Winning 1 o'clock games too...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if we're up there in this department, then we're not converting 3rd downs, and... we're finding ourselves in too many desperate situations.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Zac does a lot of things opposite of the things we hated Marvin for doing, such as:

Coaching conservatively

Using Time outs

Giggling

Making the Playoffs

Nice pic Bfine you had me fooled lol

Add beating the Steelers to the list. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 10:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Found this article about aggressive coach rankings interesting. One big difference between ZT and Marvin is this very factor.  I thought this list had a lot of good coaches, so seeing ZT up there was a bit of a surprise..

ZT was aggressive cause we basically had no wins and he had nothing to lose there was no reason not to be aggressive.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 10:38 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: At one point in the season, it was pointed out that we were on track to record the most 4th down conversions, 4th down conversion percentage, and 4th down attempts for a season.  I don't know if we ultimately set the record for any of them in the end...

that is generally a sign of a bad season
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: ZT was aggressive cause we basically had no wins and he had nothing to lose there was no reason not to be aggressive.

Or, maybe he was aggressive because they were really really good on 4th down conversions.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: ZT was aggressive cause we basically had no wins and he had nothing to lose there was no reason not to be aggressive.

Yet he was kicking FG’s in blowout losses lol

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yet he was kicking FG’s in blowout losses lol

to avoid being shut out... i guess it was one of those moral victories. the only kind Taylor really knows
Reply/Quote
Some things Taylor has done different from Marvin have been a breath of fresh air.
With that said, I'd take Marvin's first two years over Taylor's, as Marvin had 16 wins whereas Taylor has had 6.5 in the same span.

I feel this is a make-or-break year for Taylor.
He needs to turn his vision and philosophies into production.
He can be aggressive on 4th down and bench underperforming/disgruntled vets, but it really doesn't matter if it doesn't result in more wins.
The FO probably won't keep him unless he gets at least 6-7 wins.

Also, there should be a few HC candidates potentially ripe for the picking next offseason:
- Eric Bieniemy (He may not fully operate the offense, but Reid has spoken highly of him)
- Matt Eberflus (Has done a good job with Indy's defense)
- Byron Leftwich (Runs a high-powered passing offense with TB)

Greg Roman is also potentially appealing, but he might want to turn the offense into a run-oriented one like he's done with BAL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Sadly, however, another key difference was that Marvin won games while ZT simply hasn't even gotten started in that category.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Some things Taylor has done different from Marvin have been a breath of fresh air.
With that said, I'd take Marvin's first two years over Taylor's, as Marvin had 16 wins whereas Taylor has had 6.5 in the same span.

I feel this is a make-or-break year for Taylor.
He needs to turn his vision and philosophies into production.
He can be aggressive on 4th down and bench underperforming/disgruntled vets, but it really doesn't matter if it doesn't result in more wins.
The FO probably won't keep him unless he gets at least 6-7 wins.

Also, there should be a few HC candidates potentially ripe for the picking next offseason:
- Eric Bieniemy (He may not fully operate the offense, but Reid has spoken highly of him)
- Matt Eberflus (Has done a good job with Indy's defense)
- Byron Leftwich (Runs a high-powered passing offense with TB)

Greg Roman is also potentially appealing, but he might want to turn the offense into a run-oriented one like he's done with BAL.

Exactly

I've never really considered going for it on 4th a good measure of a coaches aggressiveness, quite often that's born from desperation. And that was the case nearly all the time with ZT.
Reply/Quote
ZT gambles more and wins less. He's a prime candidare for an intervention.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 08:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT gambles more and wins less. He's a prime candidare for an intervention.

“Zac, we think these guys (Turner and Lou) you’ve been hanging around with are really bad influences”

“We see you’ve already cut one of them out of your life, but you really need to do the same with this Lou character now” “It’s for the best.”

“How about some positive influences like that nice old man you worked with in LA? We think he’d be good for you.”

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “Zac, we think these guys (Turner and Lou) you’ve been hanging around with are really bad influences”

“We see you’ve already cut one of them out of your life, but you really need to do the same with this Lou character now” “It’s for the best.”

“How about some positive influences like that nice old man you worked with in LA? We think he’d be good for you.”

The sad truth of it is that the ZT-era has been pretty much 2 whole years of "nothing left to lose" football.  We kick off the year with a pretty loss that "shoulda coulda woulda" been a win and then the rest of the season is "nothing left to lose" mode.  

Hopefully this year we are way more relevant and then we will see how aggressive ZT really is.  He's more of a cornered rat, at the moment. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The sad truth of it is that the ZT-era has been pretty much 2 whole years of "nothing left to lose" football.  We kick off the year with a pretty loss that "shoulda coulda woulda" been a win and then the rest of the season is "nothing left to lose" mode.  

Hopefully this year we are way more relevant and then we will see how aggressive ZT really is.  He's more of a cornered rat, at the moment. 

"Nothing left to lose" should be T-shirt slogan next season.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 12:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: "Nothing left to lose" should be T-shirt slogan next season.

Aggression is very context sensitive. Andy Reid is aggressive like a successful businessman investing in an emerging market.  ZT is aggressive like a poor person spending his meager pay on scratch off tickets.  
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 12:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: "Nothing left to lose" should be T-shirt slogan next season.

should just be a picture of the little engine that could
Reply/Quote