Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Free Agent LBs (according to PFF)
(03-05-2019, 08:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Rep to both!  The way the market is starting to shape up, quality OL is going to be outrageously priced in FA.  Donovan got 27M, guaranteed?  With a max value of around 40 sum M??  Better to spend the money on LB, and open up the draft a bit.  This LB class appears to be deep enough that they can truly get a quality LB or two on day two or even early on day 3 this year.

With the way that stud college OTs have been busting in the NFL, in recent years, you know that the drafting for the ones perceived as the cream of the crop will be fast and furious.  I'm thinking that if the Bengals want one of the top OTs, they need to take him at 11.

OT's, like QB's, absolutely get over drafted.  And you so often see runs on them.   They fall like dominoes once one goes.  If a guy even looks like he might be able to play LT, he'll be drafted early.  Gee, that sounds familiar, huh?  (Run like hell from tackles from TAMU).
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 11:19 AM)HuDey Wrote: I am with you 100% on this. I want White, but Oliver or one of the other stud D-linemen paired with Devin Bush would be a good way to start the draft if we could pull it off. And I also just can’t get behind spending early picks on a pass catcher when we have such dire needs on the O-line and at LB. We definitely need impact at the top of our draft. I would rather get an elite prospect at DT than an OT who has questions and limitations regardless of how badly we need help on the O-Line.

Absolutely.  There is rare talent at the top of the draft and I don't see us trading back this time.  Let the Dolphins, Cards, Giants, Broncos, and maybe even the stupid Raiders go after QBs and push down the defensive studs.  

I think a presence like Ed Oliver next to Geno would make the front four a hell of a lot more difficult to attack.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of 3-4 pass rush and 2 down run plug types in FA.  It also seems like the LB class coming out doesn't have a true sweet spot for value like some of the top 5 (in other years) DL types that will be there at 11. 

I'd like to see then shop around a comp 6th for a solid sub from a team needing to free up cap space.  They'll need someone with experience to not get lost in coverage, as even a early pick may have growing pains.  
Reply/Quote
I would rather draft Juwaan Taylor than pay 14M for James or Trent Brown. Bengals could revamp the linebacker core with that amount of money.
Sign Jordan Hicks 8M/per
Re-sign Preston Brown 4M/per

Then, I would try to trade our 6th round pick to Chicago for ILB Nick Kwiatkoski in the last year of his deal. He started 7 games in 2017 and had a really good showing there. He is sitting behind Trevathon and Smith and has been coached up by Fangio. Chicago is up against the cap and only has 5 picks in the draft, 2 of which are 7th rounders. Kwiatkoski is slated to make 2,045,000 this season.

That's 14M
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 05:52 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: I would rather draft  Juwaan Taylor than pay 14M for James or Trent Brown. Bengals could revamp the linebacker core with that amount of money.
Sign Jordan Hicks 8M/per
Re-sign Preston Brown 4M/per

Then, I would try to trade our 6th round pick to Chicago for ILB Nick Kwiatkoski in the last year of his deal. He started 7 games in 2017 and had a really good showing there. He is sitting behind Trevathon and Smith and has been coached up by Fangio. Chicago is up against the cap and only has 5 picks in the draft, 2 of which are 7th rounders. Kwiatkoski is slated to make 2,045,000 this season.

That's 14M

Interesting idae....Call the Bengals 
Reply/Quote
One thing on James is he's an above average tackle that's consistent...but he's not a Top 5 to 10 Tackle. He's a middle of the pack Tackle so I wouldn't get crazy with a contract for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 11:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: One thing on James is he's an above average tackle that's consistent...but he's not a Top 5 to 10 Tackle. He's a middle of the pack Tackle so I wouldn't get crazy with a contract for him.

I wonder what kind of relationship he has with our new o line coach. Not sure if he was there for the Jonathan Martin fiasco or not.

James probably gets overpaid based on position and lack of options on the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Saw Dehner bring up that Kwon Alexander is an interesting option now with Duffner in the mix. I think Alexander still fits the mold of the type of FA we can get. He has had up and down seasons but he is athletic and can run. The only issue....he is coming off an ACL injury.
Reply/Quote
Reading what Hobson is saying on the mothership, it almost looks like they don't even see the linebacker position as a big priority (astoundingly). Somebody asked if he thought they'd go for White, and he basically said that DT, OT (which I agree with), and TE are all bigger priorities than linebacker.

As to free agents, he basically said they'd like to perhaps get somebody better than the Brown/Dansby/Minter typical Bengals linebacker signing, but not anyone available in the first wave.. No shit, Sherlock. Most of the time when the team signs their obligatory free agent LB, we all spend a few weeks convincing ourselves that they're a step better than AJ Hawk or Kevin Minter or Karlos Dansby. Then we're proven to be wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, as sometimes Hobson seems to miss (albeit not by much) on his FA predictions, but it seems that this team doesn't really feel like there's a big need for better talent when it comes to improving. If they did, they'd adjust their method and either get serious about drafting a young LB with a high pick or they'd spend some cash on a legit free agent in the top tier. Neither seem overly likely at this point.

If this team jacks their little weenuses in FA like they normally do and don't give the new staff a legit chance to bring in better players, then they are dead in the water. Way too many talent gaps here to think they can be passive and become much more than what they were last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Saw Dehner bring up that Kwon Alexander is an interesting option now with Duffner in the mix. I think Alexander still fits the mold of the type of FA we can get. He has had up and down seasons but he is athletic and can run. The only issue....he is coming off an ACL injury.

I would be pretty pumped to see a LB corps that had Alexander, White/Bush, and Vigil
Reply/Quote
Perryman re-signed with the Chargers, so he’s off the list.
Reply/Quote
KJ Wright is still my guy or Hicks if he leaves Philly which i doubt happens.

Then draft Devin White, have an all out competition for the SAM spot.
Reply/Quote
I know everyone is loving Devin White at LB but I actually am liking Devin Bush the more I see of him from the combine. I think we could feasibly trade down into the mid teens or early twenties and get him and pick up an extra draft pick or two which would help to add talent to holes on the team. However, don't get me wrong I would not be upset at all with White because I think they both are similar in play ability but I think Bush is a bit more physical with the same speed as White has sideline to sideline. But it would be a homerun in free agency if the front office would snag one of the top tier LBS that are available and my choice would be CJ Moseley because (1) you would hurt the Ravens, an in division rival and (2) you would get one of the most complete LBS on the market and (3) he is young. You would then have the luxury of releasing Burfict and saving over 6 million dollars to go towards the signing of a mid to top tier lineman or two to help bolster the offensive line. That would free up the draft to get the highest rated player on their board. I am excited to see how the front office allows Zac Taylor control the draft and to get the players that he wants to help with his overall plan. This could be a very exciting year in Cincy but no matter what happens we have to understand that it is his first year and we all have gotten the change we have wanted for so many years and it will take a year or two to get things going in the right direction. WHO DEY!!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell yes!  If they could snag him, cut Burfict, and get Brown on the cheap back, I think the LB corps would do alright.  I think Brown is a lot better than what he showed last year due to injury.....but I wouldn't spend a lot.

Brown/Vigil/Mosely would be better than what we saw last season for sure.

I'm a little leary of Mosely as he is at that could begin to show that decline from taking the pounding, but he is only 26 years old.  It would also weaken the Ravens, according to their fans, tremendously.  

I am warming up to the idea of DT in Rd 1 (assuming one of the big three are there) and then go FA LB like Mosely and a later round LB like David Long out of WVU to develop.  I think he will be underdrafted because of his height and injuries in college, but I really like him.  
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:27 AM)bengalsfan73 Wrote: I know everyone is loving Devin White at LB but I actually am liking Devin Bush the more I see of him from the combine. I think we could feasibly trade down into the mid teens or early twenties and get him and pick up an extra draft pick or two which would help to add talent to holes on the team. However, don't get me wrong I would not be upset at all with White because I think they both are similar in play ability but I think Bush is a bit more physical with the same speed as White has sideline to sideline. But it would be a homerun in free agency if the front office would snag one of the top tier LBS that are available and my choice would be CJ Moseley because (1) you would hurt the Ravens, an in division rival and (2) you would get one of the most complete LBS on the market and (3) he is young. You would then have the luxury of releasing Burfict and saving over 6 million dollars to go towards the signing of a mid to top tier lineman or two to help bolster the offensive line. That would free up the draft to get the highest rated player on their board. I am excited to see how the front office allows Zac Taylor control the draft and to get the players that he wants to help with his overall plan. This could be a very exciting year in Cincy but no matter what happens we have to understand that it is his first year and we all have gotten the change we have wanted for so many years and it will take a year or two to get things going in the right direction. WHO DEY!!!!

If Bush lasts that long, the steelers are taking him at #20 so it would have to be before them.  

They need a replacement for Shazier and everyone knows it.  They weren't the same without him.

I like the idea, but I really think there are a few DTs in this draft that are rare talents.  Not saying Bush and White aren't also, but I think a top-notch DT to pair with Geno would make everything on the defense better.  The biggest issue wasn't just the LB play but a lack of pressure with the front four and an unwillingness to blitz.  They asked way too much of their backup LBs with no pressure.  

The big "IF" is can they get a LB like Mosely that would allow the draft to free up for the DT idea.  

I would be ecstatic if they got Mosely and then a guy like Ed Oliver in the draft.  
Reply/Quote
Even if we still end up landing White or Bush we still need help at the position. Signing a free agent like Mosley would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm a little leary of Mosely as he is at that could begin to show that decline from taking the pounding, but he is only 26 years old.  It would also weaken the Ravens, according to their fans, tremendously.  

I am warming up to the idea of DT in Rd 1 (assuming one of the big three are there) and then go FA LB like Mosely and a later round LB like David Long out of WVU to develop.  I think he will be underdrafted because of his height and injuries in college, but I really like him.  

(03-11-2019, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Bush lasts that long, the steelers are taking him at #20 so it would have to be before them.  

They need a replacement for Shazier and everyone knows it.  They weren't the same without him.

I like the idea, but I really think there are a few DTs in this draft that are rare talents.  Not saying Bush and White aren't also, but I think a top-notch DT to pair with Geno would make everything on the defense better.  The biggest issue wasn't just the LB play but a lack of pressure with the front four and an unwillingness to blitz.  They asked way too much of their backup LBs with no pressure.  

The big "IF" is can they get a LB like Mosely that would allow the draft to free up for the DT idea.  

I would be ecstatic if they got Mosely and then a guy like Ed Oliver in the draft.  

O-line still would be a hole if we don't address it in FA. As much as i like Oliver i still don't think DT is near as big of a need as the right side of the O-line to improve. Billings and Glasgow are decent and should only get better as they are still really young.
Reply/Quote
Trent Brown to Oakland 4/66M according to NFL network
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:19 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Trent Brown to Oakland 4/66M according to NFL network

That seems a little much for Brown. Hopefully we can get JuWaun James who was almost as good as Brown according to PFF.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That seems a little much for Brown. Hopefully we can get JuWaun James who was almost as good as Brown according to PFF.

It does seem like a lot, but the cap rose by some $11 million. That makes salaries escalate some.
Reply/Quote