Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Eid al-Adha
Celebration of Ibrahim proving his loyalty to Allah by agreeing to sacrifice his son Ismail.
Reply/Quote
The feast of sacrifice, a coworker was just describing it to me yesterday.

He is buying a cow to be shared with the less fortunate. Says he will have to get up early before work to take his family to church before work.

Obviously the same story of Abraham is in the Christian bible, just no holiday is made of it.

Am Christian yet this story always bothered me somewhat because do not believe God would ask this of someone.

Even if God was to sacrifice his own son for the sake of all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
the Bible also stated that Ishmael (father of Muslim religion) descendants would be as numerous as the dust of the earth.

However God said Ishmael would be a wild ass of a man always living in conflict with his relatives. His hand will be against everyone and everyones hand will be against him and he will live to the East of his brothers.

Sounds about how it played out,

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Celebration of Ibrahim proving his loyalty to Allah by agreeing to sacrifice his son Ismail.

Just imagine if that happened here in the US, today...

So, Mr. Ibrahim, why did you kill your son?

"God told me to sacrifice him"

Ok, Mr. Ibrahim, please put your hands behind your back..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just imagine if that happened here in the US, today...

And, it has happened. Most diagnosed with some kind of mental disorder. However, if God tells me to off someone I'm going to ask a few questions:

1. How much beer have I had to drink tonight?
2. Is it possible that I'm stressed out?
3. Have I done any drugs? Even accidently?
4. Do I have an exhaust leak?
5. Have I listened to Limp Bizkit in the last 4 hrs?

If the answer is none and no? And the voice was loud and clear? Probably gonna pop a cap is someone but not a fatal shot. If God wants that person dead, he can kill them with infection and stuff. 

Actually, I'm not mocking the whole thing, but not sure how I would handle.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 07:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: the Bible also stated that Ishmael (father of Muslim religion) descendants would be as numerous as the dust of the earth.

However God said Ishmael would be a wild ass of a man always living in conflict with his relatives. His hand will be against everyone and everyones hand will be against him and he will live to the East of his brothers.

Sounds about how it played out,

But there was no huge conflict between the tribes of Ishmael and Isaac.  The brothers were together at the funeral of their father Abraham.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just imagine if that happened here in the US, today...

This actually occurred about 35 years ago. A Mormon guy stabbed his infant daughter to death because he believed God commanded him to do it while he was watching (of all things) the Sound of Music on TV. Very, very sad case. We studied it in college. The man was clearly schizophrenic, but the symptoms were ignored by his family and the community. He said that he believed God was going to stop him before he actually did it. Sad

BTW - Abraham/Ibrahim did not actually kill his son in the story. Wink
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Celebration of Ibrahim proving his loyalty to Allah by agreeing to sacrifice his son Ismail.

“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Happy Ali Baba Day to you too!

BTW - Which thief do you like the best?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 08:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Happy Ali Baba Day to you too!

BTW - Which thief do you like the best?

I know you didn't ask me, but:

Michael Diamond
Adam Yauch
Adam Horovitz

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 08:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know you didn't ask me, but:

Michael Diamond
Adam Yauch
Adam Horovitz

From somewhere in the Torah

I once was lost, but now I'm found
The music washes over and you're one with the sound
Well, who shall inherit the earth, the meek shall
And yo I think I'm starting to peak now Al
And then the man upstairs I hope that he cares
If I had a penny for my thoughts I'd be a millionaire
We're just three M.C.'s and we're on the go
Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego
Reply/Quote
Not going to debate anything in this thread. Will add though that the Torah is just the old testament of the Bible and nobody was killed in story referenced by OP.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 11:45 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Not going to debate anything in this thread. Will add though that the Torah is just the old testament of the Bible and nobody was killed in story referenced by OP.

Correct except Torah is just the first 5 books of the Old Testament.
Reply/Quote