Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Highest Graded Seasons for College Centers in PFF Era
PFF just posted the following list of top season performances at C since they started evaluating players.
One individual tops the list...twice!
1) Frank Ragnow 2016 - 94.5
2) Frank Ragnow 2017 - 93.7
3) James Daniels 2017 - 89.0
Tejan Koroma 2016 - 89.0
5) Anthony McMeans 2016 - 87.8
6) Antonyo Woods 2017 - 87.6
7) Tejan Koroma 2017 - 87.2
8) Graham Shuler 2014 - 86.6
Will Kreitler 2016 - 86.6
Joe Scelfo 2014 - 86.6
[Image: DZ9G32WXkAI1jj7.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Billy Price is conspicuously absent. Anyone have insights as to why that might be?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
This is quite interesting

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 03:20 PM)Shady Wrote: Billy Price is conspicuously absent. Anyone have insights as to why that might be?

Billy Price was 84.8.
https://247sports.com/college/usc/Bolt/USC-and-Ohio-State-roster-comparison-with-PFF-grades-112128476
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 03:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Billy Price was 84.8.
https://247sports.com/college/usc/Bolt/USC-and-Ohio-State-roster-comparison-with-PFF-grades-112128476

So, 10 points behind Ragnow. I wonder if Pollack, Mervin, et al see it the same way.

Also, wasn't Bodine's PFF score in the NFL something like a 63?

EDIT: In 2017, Bodine was a 46.8. SMDH
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I like PFF and all but someone else that isn't on that list that looked really good last year is Pat Elflein so that isn't the be all end all for why a guy should be drafted. With that said, I hope the Bengals take a Center in the first if there is one guy they love (whoever that is) and if they like all 3 of the top guys then take BPA and go Center in the 2nd round. Either way you are improving a huge position of need with some major talent.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 03:40 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I like PFF and all but someone else that isn't on that list that looked really good last year is Pat Elflein so that isn't the be all end all for why a guy should be drafted. With that said, I hope the Bengals take a Center in the first if there is one guy they love (whoever that is) and if they like all 3 of the top guys then take BPA and go Center in the 2nd round. Either way you are improving a huge position of need with some major talent.

People need to recognize this is the Top 10 from the past 5 or so years. Just because a guy like Pat Elflein isn't on the list doesn't mean they are bad.
But in regards to Pat Elflein, I don't think he'd be ahead of Ragnow anyway if they were in the same draft class. Elflein is good but not great.
Also, Elflein didn't look "great" last year in the NFL. He was just ok.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So.... now that he's "healthy," you really can't wait until round 2 to take the guy. He's probably all but assured to go in the late 20's - late 30s.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 04:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So.... now that he's "healthy," you really can't wait until round 2 to take the guy.  He's probably all but assured to go in the late 20's - late 30s.

Yea I think so too. Bengals might be able to trade back from 21 and get him if they can, but I'm cool with him at 21.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I think so too. Bengals might be able to trade back from 21 and get him if they can, but I'm cool with him at 21.

I've kicked this around in my head a lot.  The reality is that the Bengals really only get starters from the draft.  Sure, they traded for Glenn, but they probably wouldn't have signed him as a free agent.

So.....  you pretty much have to get guys in the draft if you want top talent.

IF all 3 centers are on the board at #21 AND either Wynn or Hernandez is still there, move back a few spots.

Then take the guy you have rated the highest.

Then trade back up into the first round and get the other.  That's the only way we fix the line problem.  Get a top rated C and top rated G in the first 2 days.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 03:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: PFF just posted the following list of top season performances at C since they started evaluating players.
One individual tops the list...twice!
1) Frank Ragnow 2016 - 94.5
2) Frank Ragnow 2017 - 93.7
3) James Daniels 2017 - 89.0
Tejan Koroma 2016 - 89.0
5) Anthony McMeans 2016 - 87.8
6) Antonyo Woods 2017 - 87.6
7) Tejan Koroma 2017 - 87.2
8) Graham Shuler 2014 - 86.6
Will Kreitler 2016 - 86.6
Joe Scelfo 2014 - 86.6
[Image: DZ9G32WXkAI1jj7.jpg]

Well, i am sold at taking Ragnow at 21 now. From the SEC, longer arms than Price, bigger and nastier than Daniels. Smart.

Can handle the big NT's like we have in our Division. He just fits everything Pollack was saying he wants in his Lineman.

Ragnow and Tyrell Crosby and our O-line is looking great for the future. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, i am sold at taking Ragnow at 21 now. From the SEC, longer arms than Price, bigger and nastier than Daniels. Smart.

Can handle the big NT's like we have in our Division. He just fits everything Pollack was saying he wants in his Lineman.

Ragnow and Tyrell Crosby and our O-line is looking great for the future. Rock On

So this Tejan Koroma dude from BYU has some impressive scores from the past two years, he's in this draft class, yet we've not seen a single mention of him in any draft conversation.

I'm guessing that it's because he's 6'0" and #295.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So this Tejan Koroma dude from BYU has some impressive scores from the past two years, he's in this draft class, yet we've not seen a single mention of him in any draft conversation.

I'm guessing that it's because he's 6'0" and #295.

I was looking at Koroma myself, size must be it then and that he played at BYU.

Both are good reasons for him not to be on our radar.

Ragnow man, big, nasty, smart and played in the SEC is who i want. Don't care how we do it. Trade down a little bit, stay at 21
and take him, or Draft BPA and trade up for Ragnow in the 2nd. Either way this is who i want now, took awhile but is tops in my
eyes now for sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was looking at Koroma myself, size must be it then and that he played at BYU.

Both are good reasons for him not to be on our radar.

Ragnow man, big, nasty, smart and played in the SEC is who i want. Don't care how we do it. Trade down a little bit, stay at 21
and take him, or Draft BPA and trade up for Ragnow in the 2nd. Either way this is who i want now, took awhile but is tops in my
eyes now for sure.

Yet, before it was official that Daniels was declaring, Price was the "hands down" top rated Center by all of the geeks that rate them.  I can see low balling Koroma for his size and conference, a little bit..  Obviously, they were giving Price the nod for taking to the position like a fish to water, in only one year of playing it.  Yet, they dinged the hell out of Ragnow for his injury, despite years of excellent production in the conference perceived to be the "most physical".

Heck, I think those talking heads sometimes just boost whomever they like, arbitrarily.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet, before it was official that Daniels was declaring, Price was the "hands down" top rated Center by all of the geeks that rate them.  I can see low balling Koroma for his size and conference, a little bit..  Obviously, they were giving Price the nod for taking to the position like a fish to water, in only one year of playing it.  Yet, they dinged the hell out of Ragnow for his injury, despite years of excellent production in the conference perceived to be the "most physical".

Heck, I think those talking heads sometimes just boost whomever they like, arbitrarily.

Yep, talking heads and i have to admit they got to me for awhile. No more, Ragnow was the best Center before his injury and now
he is the best once again as he had a good Pro Day and will be ready for OTA's. I like Price 2nd for us though now as he is a much
more physical Center that can anchor better than Daniels the technician.
Reply/Quote
I think these college grades are a little suspect because of the massive diversity of talent of the schools some of these teams play.

For example Arkansas didnt really schedule World Beaters in their out of conference, no offense to Florida A&M, New Mexico St, Coastal. Those could boost the rankings

When Arkansas did play decent SEC teams they didnt even score double digits. I know this is not on players like Frank Ragnow who is a really great player and would love

to have him. I just dont trust these ratings as much as I do with a more even talent pool in the NFL.

What do you do when you play tough and stiffer competition.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:42 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: I think these college grades are a little suspect because of the massive diversity of talent of the schools some of these teams play.

For example Arkansas didnt really schedule World Beaters in their out of conference, no offense to Florida A&M, New Mexico St, Coastal. Those could boost the rankings

When Arkansas did play decent SEC teams they didnt even score double digits. I know this is not on players like Frank Ragnow who is a really great player and would love

to have him. I just dont trust these ratings as much as I do with a more even talent pool in the NFL.

What do you do when you play tough and stiffer competition.

But, if you back up a season, Ragnow was healthy the entire year.  His production was outstanding, when he was healthy.

Let's not forget that the Head Coach that recruited him was Brett Bielema, the same one that brought Travis Frederick to the NFL.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, talking heads and i have to admit they got to me for awhile. No more, Ragnow was the best Center before his injury and now
he is the best once again as he had a good Pro Day and will be ready for OTA's. I like Price 2nd for us though now as he is a much
more physical Center that can anchor better than Daniels the technician.

Honestly, I think I trust NFL.com the most.  If you go by their predictions;  Daniels, Price, and Ragnow should all go in the 2nd round.  I think I would be happy with the Bengals taking Isiah Wynn in the 1st, and whomever is there at 46 between Price and Ragnow.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I think I trust NFL.com the most.  If you go by their predictions;  Daniels, Price, and Ragnow should all go in the 2nd round.  I think I would be happy with the Bengals taking Isiah Wynn in the 1st, and whomever is there at 46 between Price and Ragnow.

I agree with this. Get a guy in the 1st that definitely won’t be there in round 2 and then be patient and take the best center available in rd 2. One of them will be sitting there ripe for the picking. “Worst” case scenario, trade up in the second round to assure yourself one of the centers. But I think staying put will work.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I think I trust NFL.com the most.  If you go by their predictions;  Daniels, Price, and Ragnow should all go in the 2nd round.  I think I would be happy with the Bengals taking Isiah Wynn in the 1st, and whomever is there at 46 between Price and Ragnow.

I have nothing to base this on but I doubt Ragnow lasts until 46, and maybe not Price. While I'd love to have Wynn, unless we trade up to ensure getting both, I'd go with Ragnow at 21. Center is the position that we don't have squat on the roster right now. I admit to being biased towards drafting a center first, then doing the best we can afterward. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote