Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derek Wolfe to visit
Per a few places on twitter. Also visiting Ari, NE, and Bal.

We'll see if it happens, but I think he'd qualify as a solid addition.
Reply/Quote
This points clearly to Geno Atkins seeing fewer snaps. Nothing wrong with this.
Reply/Quote
No chance we sign this guy, NE and Balt, and Den still interested
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:34 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: No chance sign this guy, NE and Balt, and Den still interested

No chance?

Didn't he play for UC?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No chance?

Didn't he play for UC?

Yea UC guy, but Denver wants him back and two title contenders want him, do you see us overpaying to sign him?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:27 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: This points clearly to Geno Atkins seeing fewer snaps.  Nothing wrong with this.

That was my initial thought as well. Iv'e always liked Wolfe as a player.  He's played mostly in a 3-4 defense during his time in Denver and I think he could be more productive as a 3 technique in a 4-3. I'm assuming if we signed Wolf it would be to rotate with Geno and possibly line up inside next to him in passing situations ?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:44 PM)lone bengal Wrote: That was my initial thought as well. Iv'e always liked Wolfe as a player.  He's played mostly in a 3-4 defense during his time in Denver and I think he could be more productive as a 3 technique in a 4-3. I'm assuming if we signed Wolf it would be to rotate with Geno and possibly line up inside next to him in passing situations ?

We are a hybrid 3-4 now.

Per Hobson articles.
Reply/Quote
Yes.!! I was hoping to bring him home. Make it happen
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 11:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We are a hybrid 3-4 now.

Per Hobson articles.

Yeah I saw the article and was kind of surprised. Think we ran mostly a 4-3 last season, Anarumo mixed things up and ran a big 5 man front with two linebackers and tried things like standing up Hubbard. I understand Anarumo wanting a versatile defense but I feel like we don't have the personnel yet to run a 3-4. A 3-4 requires multiple linebackers which we don't have and I think guys like Hubbard, Lawson and Dunlap are better as 4-3 ends then dropping into coverage or standing up. I'd be fine if Anarumo wanted to transition more to a 3-4 are defense can't get any worse then it's been the last 3 years. 
Reply/Quote
This would qualify as a sign that the Bengals are doing things differently if they sign a guy like Wolfe early on in the FA period.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Heck it's a positive sign that we're even scheduling a visit this early.

They usually sit on their hands for the first week or so.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck it's a positive sign that we're even scheduling a visit this early.

Just what I was thinking, this is good news. Would be all for Wolfe and a LB in FA would really upgrade the Defense.

Wolfe, Schobert and Graham Glasgow sure would be awesome.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just what I was thinking, this is good news. Would be all for Wolfe and a LB in FA would really upgrade the Defense.

Wolfe, Schobert and Graham Glasgow sure would be awesome.

That would be the story book haul for the Bengals, especially with keeping AJ Green, Billings, extending Mixon, etc.

(Then we wake up and realize that it's only Monday..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be the story book haul for the Bengals, especially with keeping AJ Green, Billings, extending Mixon, etc.

(Then we wake up and realize that it's only Monday..)

Yeah, still exciting just thinking about it. This is good news just hearing we are scheduling a visit for a player like Wolfe
though as Shake said. Means we are doing more than just kicking tires on old has beens, Wolfe can still play.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 01:09 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This would qualify as a sign that the Bengals are doing things differently if they sign a guy like Wolfe early on in the FA period.

I mean we have signed vets before that didn't fit our scheme....   But Wolfe might allow Lou to do more things on Defense.
Reply/Quote
In the past I wanted him, but now not so sure.
So I'm torn, but it doesn't feel like a high end FA to me. Just another guy that's peaked and will be headed downhill soon that we normally like to bring in.

I'm all for grabbing guys that are hitting their peak mid 20's. Those are guys you build around.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 11:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck it's a positive sign that we're even scheduling a visit this early.

"Wait, you want HOW MUCH? No thanks, have a good trip home. The 4 piece nuggets are on me, but I didn't say I would include a frosty purchase.... Duke, go call Pat Sims."    - Mike Brown, probably

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Meh.
Wolfe has never had more than 7.0 sacks in a season.

Would be better than someone like Kerry Wynn though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Meh.
Wolfe has never had more than 7.0 sacks in a season.

Would be better than someone like Kerry Wynn though.

I'm not going to get on a soapbox for him, but his 7 sacks last year is pretty good for a 3-4 DE. I'd be happy if he was signed.
Reply/Quote