Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Top 10 Offensive Lineman Free Agents
Free Agency starts March 18th. Are any of there guys worth a look or should we just buy off the rack at Wal-Mart?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-free-agents-2020-top-10-offensive-linemen
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The patriots guard was definitely well coached. Not many penalties or sacks. And still young. The guard/center Glasgow from the Lions sounds good too. Again, not many penalties or sacks. We could cut Glenn and sign one of these guys. Both guys are seldom injured too.
Reply/Quote
If we could sign a couple of guys it would open up the draft tremendously. Cutting Dalton and Glenn should be the first way to secure more salary cap:

My wishes:

1) Graham Glasnow-LG (Lions)- gives us a solid veteran next to Jonah Williams.

2) Nick Kwiatoski-LB (Bears)- secures an area of need for us

-both should be affordable even if we bring back..

-AJ Green, Vigil, Billings, Dennard and B.Wilson
Reply/Quote
I don't want any aging lineman in there 30's we should be in rebuild mode and putting a young core together. Conklin is an ideal tackle prospect for us, good and only 26, however he will be the top RT free agent and I doubt the Bengals will win a bidding war for him. Castonzo is good but will be 32 when the season starts and plays LT which Williams plays. Bulaga will be 31 when the season starts and has had numerous injures throughout his career including 2 ACL tears in 2013 and 2017. I would be fine with Bulaga as a stop gap RT for two years if the money made sense. I love Tuney and Scheifff both good and only 27. I figure they'll both get big contacts too much for the Bengals. I think the player who makes the most sense for the Bengals is Graham Glaslow. Glasslow is a good guard and only 27, plus his brother Ryan plays for the Bengals which might give him extra incentive to sign here. Glaslow could possibly fly under the radar in free agency and be had at a good deal. Logic is guys like Scheiff, Tuney will get signed first and teams will spend big on premium positions like QB, CB , Tackle and pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
If they signed Thuney and/or Conklin that would be AMAZING.
Reply/Quote
Thuney, Glasgow, Scherff would all be great for us at Guard. Glasgow is probably the most likely and he has not been
hurt as much as Scherff lately. Think I would pass on some of these older guys with injuries for someone who hasn't
been injured much. But I am not picky.

Conklin might be the most spendy but man, dude would be worth it to solidify the RT spot. Feiler would be a nice grab
if he can man the RT spot and we would be stealing him from the stealers.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 04:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thuney, Glasgow, Scherff would all be great for us at Guard. Glasgow is probably the most likely and he has not been
hurt as much as Scherff lately. Think I would pass on some of these older guys with injuries for someone who hasn't
been injured much. But I am not picky.

Conklin might be the most spendy but man, dude would be worth it to solidify the RT spot. Feiler would be a nice grab
if he can man the RT spot and we would be stealing him from the stealers.

Agreed on all points.  If I really want to improve the team, I am starting on the lines...

If I try to look at this through Bengal-vision:

I think they see Fred Johnson as legitimate competition at RT for Hart, who finished with a below average grade, but did show improvement over 2018.  Hart also stayed healthy and is still yet to turn 26 years old.  Heading in to his third year as a starter, I honestly don't think Hart is the disaster many make him out to be.  With Burrow's better pocket feel and mobility, the entire offensive line could look much better than with Dalton, who always seemed to roll out to the right side.  Hart is the likely starter at RT with FJ as a backup to both RT and LT.

Speaking of LT, Williams will be essentially a rookie, but a year off rehab he will be stronger and his body will have had a chance to recover from the so-called rookie hangover (where rookies go from long season, to bowl game, to training for combine, to combine, to OTAs, etc.  Williams is our guy at LT.  He will have Johnson and Prince as the likely backups.

LG is a huge question mark:  Do they continue to ride with Jordan?  Is he too tall to be a successful Guard?  He didn't rank too poorly in sacks allowed and penalties, but when you consider the number of snaps, his overall ranking was well below average.  I'm sure he should be stronger after year 1 and he had time to recover from the aforementioned rookie fatigue, but I don't know if I see him as a strong starter.  Huge potential for upgrade.  Andrew Whitworth, anyone?  He just opened the door if the Rams don't come through.  So, we know there is no grudge here.  I think there is no lose for the Bengals.  The contract would likely be half of what a Thuney or Sherff would get due to age.  I think this would be fantastic.  You have Jordan and Price as backups. 

Center is Hopkins position with Hart and Jordan as potential backups.  

RG is the position that should have a draft pick designed to replace Miller, a stop-gap at best.  There are a lot of guards in the draft that could be suitable long-term replacements and might even push Miller out of the starting lineup and make him expendable a year early. I won't go in to who should be drafted here, that is a topic for the draft boards, but I can see a draft pick being utilized here.  Likely a 4th rounder or 3rd if they can get an additional pick sliding back in rd 2.

So, there you have it.  I would imagine they will draft a RG with a FA acquisition like Whitworth not only working from a budgetary standpoint, but also from a leadership standpoint.  Whit could be an outstanding LG, and I think he would actually like to come back and play with Burrow.  

I would love to see a local guy like Thuney come back to Cincinnati, but I think the Bengals will spend that money to secure Green and Mixon (not sure I agree with that, but I am trying to think what they will do).  I don't see them parting ways with Dre K, but they should, or at least get a renegotiation out of him.  The problem is, he would likely have plenty of suitors to give him a new contract if released, and the Bengals would get nothing.  Hopefully, the Bengals find a trade partner for Dalton, and release that $17 million to their FA pool, along with releasing Cordy Glenn, or trading him if you can get anything for him.  Offers will likely be tendered to Billings, Vigil, Fej, and Dennard.   I can't see any huge FA acquisitions on the defensive side of the ball.  

In a nutshell, Whit and a draft pick, plus Williams coming back from injury, could pay huge dividends in 2020.  If you add a speedy route-runner that can get open quickly, I think that the offense could be night and day from 2019.  It was the perfect storm last year and they clearly suffered for it.  The three game trial of Ryan "noodles" Finley was a disaster.  Outside of those games, the offense was below average with no AJ Green, no LT, and a scheme that seemed to forget how to use Joe Mixon until the season was already over.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 12:23 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I don't want any aging lineman in there 30's we should be in rebuild mode and putting a young core together. Conklin is an ideal tackle prospect for us, good and only 26, however he will be the top RT free agent and I doubt the Bengals will win a bidding war for him. Castonzo is good but will be 32 when the season starts and plays LT which Williams plays. Bulaga will be 31 when the season starts and has had numerous injures throughout his career including 2 ACL tears in 2013 and 2017. I would be fine with Bulaga as a stop gap RT for two years if the money made sense. I love Tuney and Scheifff both good and only 27. I figure they'll both get big contacts too much for the Bengals. I think the player who makes the most sense for the Bengals is Graham Glaslow. Glasslow is a good guard and only 27, plus his brother Ryan plays for the Bengals which might give him extra incentive to sign here. Glaslow could possibly fly under the radar in free agency and be had at a good deal. Logic is guys like Scheiff, Tuney will get signed first and teams will spend big on premium positions like QB, CB , Tackle and pass rushers.

well its okay to have a few stop gap veterans as you cant always afford all the youngs in the prime and then you replace the stop gaps with guys on rookie deals when the money needs to be shifted to other extenstions.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed on all points.  If I really want to improve the team, I am starting on the lines...

If I try to look at this through Bengal-vision:

I think they see Fred Johnson as legitimate competition at RT for Hart, who finished with a below average grade, but did show improvement over 2018.  Hart also stayed healthy and is still yet to turn 26 years old.  Heading in to his third year as a starter, I honestly don't think Hart is the disaster many make him out to be.  With Burrow's better pocket feel and mobility, the entire offensive line could look much better than with Dalton, who always seemed to roll out to the right side.  Hart is the likely starter at RT with FJ as a backup to both RT and LT.

Speaking of LT, Williams will be essentially a rookie, but a year off rehab he will be stronger and his body will have had a chance to recover from the so-called rookie hangover (where rookies go from long season, to bowl game, to training for combine, to combine, to OTAs, etc.  Williams is our guy at LT.  He will have Johnson and Prince as the likely backups.

LG is a huge question mark:  Do they continue to ride with Jordan?  Is he too tall to be a successful Guard?  He didn't rank too poorly in sacks allowed and penalties, but when you consider the number of snaps, his overall ranking was well below average.  I'm sure he should be stronger after year 1 and he had time to recover from the aforementioned rookie fatigue, but I don't know if I see him as a strong starter.  Huge potential for upgrade.  Andrew Whitworth, anyone?  He just opened the door if the Rams don't come through.  So, we know there is no grudge here.  I think there is no lose for the Bengals.  The contract would likely be half of what a Thuney or Sherff would get due to age.  I think this would be fantastic.  You have Jordan and Price as backups. 

Center is Hopkins position with Hart and Jordan as potential backups.  

RG is the position that should have a draft pick designed to replace Miller, a stop-gap at best.  There are a lot of guards in the draft that could be suitable long-term replacements and might even push Miller out of the starting lineup and make him expendable a year early. I won't go in to who should be drafted here, that is a topic for the draft boards, but I can see a draft pick being utilized here.  Likely a 4th rounder or 3rd if they can get an additional pick sliding back in rd 2.

So, there you have it.  I would imagine they will draft a RG with a FA acquisition like Whitworth not only working from a budgetary standpoint, but also from a leadership standpoint.  Whit could be an outstanding LG, and I think he would actually like to come back and play with Burrow.  

I would love to see a local guy like Thuney come back to Cincinnati, but I think the Bengals will spend that money to secure Green and Mixon (not sure I agree with that, but I am trying to think what they will do).  I don't see them parting ways with Dre K, but they should, or at least get a renegotiation out of him.  The problem is, he would likely have plenty of suitors to give him a new contract if released, and the Bengals would get nothing.  Hopefully, the Bengals find a trade partner for Dalton, and release that $17 million to their FA pool, along with releasing Cordy Glenn, or trading him if you can get anything for him.  Offers will likely be tendered to Billings, Vigil, Fej, and Dennard.   I can't see any huge FA acquisitions on the defensive side of the ball.  

In a nutshell, Whit and a draft pick, plus Williams coming back from injury, could pay huge dividends in 2020.  If you add a speedy route-runner that can get open quickly, I think that the offense could be night and day from 2019.  It was the perfect storm last year and they clearly suffered for it.  The three game trial of Ryan "noodles" Finley was a disaster.  Outside of those games, the offense was below average with no AJ Green, no LT, and a scheme that seemed to forget how to use Joe Mixon until the season was already over.  

Great post, all for bringing back Whit at LG as I stated in the thread in JN. He would of still been our best player on the OL
last season even if he fell off a bit and moving to Guard might help elongate his career. Still think we need to get a LB in FA
like Trevathan, Jamie Collins or Littleton. We will have the money after moving Dalton and Glenn's salaries.

Agreed on the guys we need to bring back as well. This is all likely even if I would rather get a younger Lineman like the 
ones we listed. Draft a RG like Biadasz in the 3rd. I agree that Hart hasn't been as bad as lots of people make out and from
all accounts Fred Johnson played very good in limited action, might of got a steal here. Heard the dude is huge.

Not all good Lineman have to be drafted early as history has shown. There are always diamonds in the rough.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In a nutshell, Whit and a draft pick, plus Williams coming back from injury, could pay huge dividends in 2020.  If you add a speedy route-runner that can get open quickly, I think that the offense could be night and day from 2019.  It was the perfect storm last year and they clearly suffered for it.  The three game trial of Ryan "noodles" Finley was a disaster.  Outside of those games, the offense was below average with no AJ Green, no LT, and a scheme that seemed to forget how to use Joe Mixon until the season was already over.  

I like it.  If there is any way that Whitworth and Bengals could come to a deal, I'd love to see Whit retire as a Bengal.  His presence would likely provide that leadership on the OL that is so vital for a young QB to have.  Additionally, he could be a tremendous asset for Williams to learn from, as well as bridge the gap with Mike Jordan taking over as the eventual LG.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post, all for bringing back Whit at LG as I stated in the thread in JN. He would of still been our best player on the OL
last season even if he fell off a bit and moving to Guard might help elongate his career. Still think we need to get a LB in FA
like Trevathan, Jamie Collins or Littleton. We will have the money after moving Dalton and Glenn's salaries.

Agreed on the guys we need to bring back as well. This is all likely even if I would rather get a younger Lineman like the 
ones we listed. Draft a RG like Biadasz in the 3rd. I agree that Hart hasn't been as bad as lots of people make out and from
all accounts Fred Johnson played very good in limited action, might of got a steal here. Heard the dude is huge.

Not all good Lineman have to be drafted early as history has shown. There are always diamonds in the rough.

Johnson held up very well last year, and I think he is hungry.  Kind of the opposite of Cordy Glenn.  I agree with what you are saying about drafting another G, but I think Biadasz will be long gone by our third round pick...then again, it could happen.  

Do you really think Green won't be retained?  I could absolutely make a business case for it, but I don't see any way the Bengals let him leave.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Johnson held up very well last year, and I think he is hungry.  Kind of the opposite of Cordy Glenn.  I agree with what you are saying about drafting another G, but I think Biadasz will be long gone by our third round pick...then again, it could happen.  

Do you really think Green won't be retained?  I could absolutely make a business case for it, but I don't see any way the Bengals let him leave.  

Good players fall every year and we are at the top of the 3rd. You didn't think Orlando Brown would fall as far as he did either 
remember Racer? On AJ, I expect us to either sign him to an incentive laden contract or tag and trade him. At least this is what
I hope happens. Just don't want us to tag him and have him sit hurt for 18 mil.
Reply/Quote
Washington is going to franchise tag Scherff.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 10:44 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Washington is going to franchise tag Scherff.

One off the table. 

Scherff has been hurt quite a bit, think I would rather have Thuney, Glasgow or even stealing Fieler from the pitt the more I think
about it. But as I have said, I am not picky. Pretty much all players get injured in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
The reports that Thuney wants 15 a year have me out. I would rather have Glasgow at a little bit of a discount. The other option is Trai Turner who the Panthers are shopping, if you could get him for say a 3rd I'd be all over him.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 04:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good players fall every year and we are at the top of the 3rd. You didn't think Orlando Brown would fall as far as he did either 
remember Racer? On AJ, I expect us to either sign him to an incentive laden contract or tag and trade him. At least this is what
I hope happens. Just don't want us to tag him and have him sit hurt for 18 mil.

Yep

I'd love to see AJ stay and be able to help Burrow it would be great....if he can stay on the field ? AJ will be 32 when the season starts, still a youngin by normal standards. But entering old NFL age. If he stays I sure hope he isn't riding the pine all season.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: The reports that Thuney wants 15 a year have me out. I would rather have Glasgow at a little bit of a discount. The other option is Trai Turner who the Panthers are shopping, if you could get him for say a 3rd I'd be all over him.

Yes, that is out of our price range on Thuney. Glasgow, Turner or Fieler are the ones I would have my eye on for us.

(03-03-2020, 10:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I'd love to see AJ stay and be able to help Burrow it would be great....if he can stay on the field ? AJ will be 32 when the season starts, still a youngin by normal standards. But entering old NFL age. If he stays I sure hope he isn't riding the pine all season.

This is the question. If we keep AJ I think we have to work on a multiple year contract and hope he can stay healthy for the 
most part. We tagged him so we can still either work on a new contract or trade him for a pick, either way better then him 
staying on the bench all year for 18 million.
Reply/Quote
Good players that are more likely in the Bengals' price range:
Kelvin Beachum
Graham Glasgow

Neither is going to get the fanbase excited, but both would be solid additions (assuming the Bengals move on from Cordy Glenn).

Beachum would allow the Bengals to start Jonah Williams either at LG or RT his first 1-2 years, much like how Whitworth did.
Glasgow would slot in well at either G position.

A line of Beachum, Williams, Hopkins, Glasgow, and Hart/Miller/Draft Pick/Fred Johnson I think would be a solid improvement over last year.

It's also worth pointing out that both Miller and Hart have low dead cap hits for 2020 and 2021, so both can/should be considered for replacement if the Bengals would like.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: The reports that Thuney wants 15 a year have me out. I would rather have Glasgow at a little bit of a discount. The other option is Trai Turner who the Panthers are shopping, if you could get him for say a 3rd I'd be all over him.

Doesn't he have a history of injuries/concussions? And over a 9mil cap hit? I'd pass
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 01:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Doesn't he have a history of injuries/concussions? And over a 9mil cap hit? I'd pass

You take him on for two years with no guaranteed money. Anyone you sign in FA is going to probably cost you at least that if not more for similar skill but with a ton of guaranteed money invested. The nice thing about the trade is it gives you an out if it doesn't work.
Reply/Quote