Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Top 10 highest graded Bengals for the season
(01-12-2022, 10:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think your second point might be a very important one. If I remember correctly, PFF values consistency fairly heavily and their final grade formula. Chase had higher highs than Higgins did, but Higgins seem to remain more consistent over the course of the season.

With PFF, play context is the main variable.  For example, Burrow wouldn't have gotten dinged for a Chase drop that turns into an INT, but he also isn't going to get huge marks for a play like "Chase in a blender.". I've never seen anything about consistency affecting their grades one way or the other, officially.  It would seem strange to do so, as it would just basically create a model where the top guy's grades were curved to stay on top and the bottom guys stay on bottom.  I do suspect that there's some individual bias among player grades with star players and/or highly graded players tending to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to grading.  I also suspected this year before I cancelled my subscription that there was some favoritism being shown to draft prospects that they had ranked highly.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but I'm sure Chase's run grade hurts his overall grade.  He's been used on several jet sweeps and such that didn't fool anybody.  Meanwhile, Tee isn't used for those plays, so it doesn't drop his grade.

The blocking grade being brought up is also very fair and something I can see Tee getting short changed on.  Chase made an incredible highlight reel block against the Lions.  As fans, most of us tend to take a highlight reel play and normalize it as a routine part of a player's game.  We saw the same thing with Tee a couple of weeks ago when he made a spectacular deep grab over two defenders and some touted his deep ball ability, but he still wound up with only 2 40+ yard catches on the season.  Turning exceptions into rules can greatly skew the perception of a player.  That's why you should never rely on highlight reels when scouting draft prospects.

I would add another issue with PFF is that there is no curve for quality of opponent.  Both Chase and Tee had monster games against Baltimore.  Tee had a 91.0 PFF grade in the second meeting while Chase had a 90 in the first.  However, Chase did it while primarily being covered by Marlon Humphrey, while Tee did it matched up against PS guys.  Both are incredible performances, but they are not as equal as they would seem on the surface when you look at the guys lined up accross from them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would also personally start Carman over Adeniji at RG, but Frank Pollack has forgotten more about OL play than I’ll ever know, so I’m sure he has his reasons.

Adeniji knows the playbook and the offense has benefited from smoother running practices.

Comments from Locked On Bengals or Cincinnati Bengals Talk said that the moment Adeniji came back, there was less stoppage of practice to explain the plays to Carman and the questions that Adeniji would ask in the film sessions were the right questions you would want a lineman to ask. This gives the entire offense a new level of confidence they didn't have before.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 04:39 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Adeniji knows the playbook and the offense has benefited from smoother running practices.

Comments from Locked On Bengals or Cincinnati Bengals Talk said that the moment Adeniji came back, there was less stoppage of practice to explain the plays to Carman and the questions that Adeniji would ask in the film sessions were the right questions you would want a lineman to ask. This gives the entire offense a new level of confidence they didn't have before.

Adeniji has an overall PFF grade of 48.4 which is the worst grade of all the Bengals offensive line.
Reply/Quote