Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 albums to listen to when stoned to the bejesus
Here's a couple more cds to spin.......

Buddy Guy-  Damn Right I've Got the Blues

Queens of the Stone Age- Rated R

Hank 3- Lovesick, Broke, and Driftin.........and Ghost to a Ghost (love this cd!)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 01:43 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Here's a couple more cds to spin.......

Buddy Guy-  Damn Right I've Got the Blues

Queens of the Stone Age- Rated R

Hank 3- Lovesick, Broke, and Driftin.........and Ghost to a Ghost (love this cd!)

Love me some Buddy Guy and Hank III.

If you really like Buddy, the 3 disc set of "The Complete Vanguard Sessions" and "Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues" are two excellent options.  I've seen him three times live, and will go again when he is close.  What a beast on the guitar.  One of his newer albums is very good too, "Livin' Proof", as well as "Bring 'em In".  His latest offering is pretty good, but not as good as those too.

Some other blues I would suggest are John Lee Hooker's "Best of: 1965-1974", 1992's "Boom, Boom", "Live at Soledad Prison" and "Free Beer and Chicken", which is a funk infused album featuring Joe Cocker on some vocals.  Earl Hooker "Two Bugs and a Roach", "The Definitive Jimmy Vaughan", Magic Sam's "West Side Soul", Blue Brothers "A Breifcase Full of Blues", Canned Heat's "Uncanned! The Best of Canned Heat", Freddie King's "Best of the Shelter Years" (which also features Leon Russell on keys and doing the production work), Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King "In Session", Jimi Hendrix "Blues", Johnny Winter "Scorchin' Blues" and "Still Alive and Well" (as well as his latest release)....these should get you started...lol.  What can I say, I'm a blues nut.

Love "Ghost to a Ghost", especially "Guttertown" and "Struggles of a Workin Man", but when Hank III is playin, I'm usually drankin, so it's typically a "Damn Right and Rebel Proud" or "Straight to Hell" kinda night....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 11:26 AM)samhain Wrote: Saw Pavement back in like 97 at Bogart's and a few other times as well.  It was basically guaranteed that there would be some dude there yelling "Conduit for Sale!!" repeatedly even AFTER they'd already played the song.  
I saw them around the same time... Maybe a lil earlier... It was when Wowee Zowee was out... Anyway... It was at the Agora ballroom in Cleveland. I kinda expected them to be really sloppy live. They were great.

I really miss that sound, and that era of music... Those Pixies, Sonic Youth, and early Dinosaur Jr. records are some great stoner music too.

But, hell... I used to smoke some herb, and listen to Minor Threat. They probably won't get many mentions in this thread.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 02:52 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Love me some Buddy Guy and Hank III.

If you really like Buddy, the 3 disc set of "The Complete Vanguard Sessions" and "Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues" are two excellent options.  I've seen him three times live, and will go again when he is close.  What a beast on the guitar.  One of his newer albums is very good too, "Livin' Proof", as well as "Bring 'em In".  His latest offering is pretty good, but not as good as those too.

Some other blues I would suggest are John Lee Hooker's "Best of: 1965-1974", 1992's "Boom, Boom", "Live at Soledad Prison" and "Free Beer and Chicken", which is a funk infused album featuring Joe Cocker on some vocals.  Earl Hooker "Two Bugs and a Roach", "The Definitive Jimmy Vaughan", Magic Sam's "West Side Soul", Blue Brothers "A Breifcase Full of Blues", Canned Heat's "Uncanned! The Best of Canned Heat", Freddie King's "Best of the Shelter Years" (which also features Leon Russell on keys and doing the production work), Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King "In Session", Jimi Hendrix "Blues", Johnny Winter "Scorchin' Blues" and "Still Alive and Well" (as well as his latest release)....these should get you started...lol.  What can I say, I'm a blues nut.

Love "Ghost to a Ghost", especially "Guttertown" and "Struggles of a Workin Man", but when Hank III is playin, I'm usually drankin, so it's typically a "Damn Right and Rebel Proud" or "Straight to Hell" kinda night....lol.

I'm partial to that Muddy Waters 1947- 1952. Anything by Howlin' Wolf. I like that primative delta sound. That shit sounds just as good hittin' a bottle as it does hitting a bong .

Hank III does his grandpappy proud... He's nothing like Sr., and just like him at the same time... I think Hank Jr is a lil suspect though. He's got his moments, but they're few and far between for me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 11:08 PM)jason Wrote: I'm partial to that Muddy Waters 1947- 1952. Anything by Howlin' Wolf. I like that primative delta sound. That shit sounds just as good hittin' a bottle as it does hitting a bong .

Hank III does his grandpappy proud... He's nothing like Sr., and just like him at the same time... I think Hank Jr is a lil suspect though. He's got his moments, but they're few and far between for me.

Agree on all points.  I have some Muddy....a two disc Wolf set....and another Delta gone Chicago blues master.....Elmore James.  Early Hooker is as delta as it gets.  Just John....his guitar....and his foot keeping time.

For me, Hank Jr's best works are deep cuts you seldom hear.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 11:08 PM)jason Wrote: I'm partial to that Muddy Waters 1947- 1952. Anything by Howlin' Wolf. I like that primative delta sound. That shit sounds just as good hittin' a bottle as it does hitting a bong .

100% agree.  Sr and 3 are far away my favorites, Jr.......not so much. 
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 10:56 PM)jason Wrote: I saw them around the same time... Maybe a lil earlier... It was when Wowee Zowee was out... Anyway... It was at the Agora ballroom in Cleveland. I kinda expected them to be really sloppy live. They were great.

I really miss that sound, and that era of music... Those Pixies, Sonic Youth, and early Dinosaur Jr. records are some great stoner music too.

But, hell... I used to smoke some herb, and listen to Minor Threat. They probably won't get many mentions in this thread.

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth has a place in this thread.  I'd listen to that front to back in my younger days.  Still do now on long drives from time to time. It's atmospheric as an album can be. Never fails to remind me of high school girlfriends for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Rush-2112 /thread

Of course reading Ayn Rand's Anthem is a prerequisite.

^THIS!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 12:44 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: ^THIS!
If Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden was on vocals on that 2112 Overture song, it would be the greatest metal song ever... It's still really damn good.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Velvet Underground--Loaded
Mott The Hoople--London to Memphis
Bob Dylan and The Band--The Basement Tapes
T Rex--Greatest Hits
Ten Years After--Ten Years After

To hear Alvin do Spoonful is worth the price of admission. Willie Dixon, what a songwriter, huh?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Willie Nelson - Redheaded Stranger

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Alright I got my list

Anything Hendrix but specifically Electric Lady Land

Beck - Guero, The Information and Mellow Gold all good choices.

Dinosaur Jr - I Bet On Sky

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way, Stadium Arcadium and The Getaway

The Dead Weather - Sea Of Cowards

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

Gorillaz - Demon Days and Plastic Beach

Incubus - Make Yourself

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

Radiohead - Any Album
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 02:37 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Alright I got my list

Incubus - Make Yourself

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

Radiohead - Any Album

You must have been really stoned.  When you hit five, you were just getting started.  Good stuff.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:05 PM)jason Wrote: If Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden was on vocals on that 2112 Overture song, it would be the greatest metal song ever... It's still really damn good.

Interesting observation.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:05 PM)jason Wrote: If Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden was on vocals on that 2112 Overture song, it would be the greatest metal song ever... It's still really damn good.

I love metal...  and as an overall album I have to put dethkloks toward the top... 
Reply/Quote
Butthole surfers - let's talk about cars.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2017, 12:49 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Butthole surfers - let's talk about cars.

Is that album the one with the song, Jingle of a Dog's Collar on it?  Love that song!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2017, 01:41 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Is that album the one with the song, Jingle of a Dog's Collar on it?  Love that song!

Yes sir, thats the album.  'Let's talk about cars' is a mix between a track interlude and that look your buddy gives you when he says you'll be fine.  You have to listen to the entire track to understand where im coming from here.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2017, 02:53 AM)McC Wrote: You must have been really stoned.  When you hit five, you were just getting started.  Good stuff.

From years and years of research. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2017, 02:37 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Alright I got my list

Incubus - Make Yourself

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

Radiohead - Any Album

I'm old, but I think Uplift Mojo Party Plan is still a hell of a RHCP album.  
Reply/Quote