Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 female rock vocalists
Just an FYI, Blondie is not a Pop band, they are an old school, original wave NY Punk band that had a few songs that radio happened to play the Hell out of. 90% of their material sounds almost nothing like the radio hits.

Pat Benatar
I always liked the sultry attitude this song always exuded

Martha Davis - Motels
Probably my favorite is the lesser hit Footsteps

Chrissie Hynde - The Pretenders
Pure class

Rindy Ross - Quarterflash
Had a pretty good run in the early to mid 80s

Ann Wilson and some friends
I hate hearing this song because of radio but this is amazing especially considering who they were playing in front of.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 08:51 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Ann Wilson and some friends
I hate hearing this song because of radio but this is amazing especially considering who they were playing in front of.

This is a better version of that Zep classic...

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2020, 08:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is a better version of that Zep classic...

That's why you rehearse. ;-)

That reminds me of the Shred series.

I hate The Cure but I love this one, probably my favorite Shred video. The bassoon kills me every time.

Back on topic even though this may fall under Pop  . . .  I call it Pop Rock so that's still Rock in my book.
Bonnie Tyler has some big hits . . . if she did a greatest hits EP, this would be all three

I didn't know she was the one that sang this late 70s hit until a few months ago when recording a K-Tel compilation album.

Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Yeeeesh.
How could I forget about criminally underexposed Fanny. The Millington sisters on strings and vocals, Nicky Barclay on the keys and vocals and the amazing Alice De Buhr on drums. I love the quote from David Bowie "They were extraordinary: they wrote everything, they played like motherfv<%ers, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody's ever mentioned them."
Live - 1973 on German TV(which is why the picture and recording quality is so high)

George Harrison said that their version of The Beatles' Hey, Bulldog is the best he's ever heard.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 08:22 PM)Lucidus Wrote: My husband and two of our dearest friends went to see them and it was a beautiful experience. Florence is an amazing singer and performer. Her natural vibrato is like none other.

I saw a video of her singing on a live radio show once.  It was every bit as powerful and flawless as her recorded performances.  She's ridiculously great.  
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 10:43 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed.

Half of Rock is ripped off from Blues and R&B (don't get me started on how THAT has been distorted lol) as well...

The best era of rock is taken directly from the blues.  Most of the icons of the time will tell you as much.  Zeppelin and the Stones are massively indebted to blues artists.  Sabbath, too.  

Others are more "progressive".  Floyd and The Who for example.  

I've argued with you on this board more than once, and have held back countless times, but I agree with you about one major fact: The Who are probably the best pure rock band that ever played.  I never understood them when I was young, but now when I hear them, I hear both perfection in songwriting and risk-taking.  Pete understands what rock is better than any human ever has.  Also, John Entwistle is probably my favorite "rock star" of all time. Sometimes it seemed like, incredibly, even with Pete directing everything, The Ox was playing the lead. They are the only band I know that more or less had 4 frontmen, lol.

Anyway, that's what's called a tangent, but I wanted to get that in.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 04:00 AM)samhain Wrote: The best era of rock is taken directly from the blues.  Most of the icons of the time will tell you as much.  Zeppelin and the Stones are massively indebted to blues artists.  Sabbath, too.  

Others are more "progressive".  Floyd and The Who for example.  

I've argued with you on this board more than once, and have held back countless times, but I agree with you about one major fact: The Who are probably the best pure rock band that ever played.  I never understood them when I was young, but now when I hear them, I hear both perfection in songwriting and risk-taking.  Pete understands what rock is better than any human ever has.  Also, John Entwistle is probably my favorite "rock star" of all time. Sometimes it seemed like, incredibly, even with Pete directing everything, The Ox was playing the lead. They are the only band I know that more or less had 4 frontmen, lol.

Anyway, that's what's called a tangent, but I wanted to get that in.

What a wonderful paragraph; the smile is beaming on me right now! Big Grin lol

The bold is what I have been saying to people, the last 5-6 years; when I was younger and just getting to learn about music and my tastes/where I fit in, I always maintained that there were 2 frontmen in the Who. But yes, all 4 were absolutely frontmen and the crazy thing is, Entwistle is almost entirely on Pete's level in every major music-related element (though in writing, I don't think he is at Pete's level, while he is very good).

I picked up the Lifehouse Chronicles last month and have listened to nothing but, since. Through reading and learning, I now know how Pete wrote; he literally wrote all of the music for each musician (which I did already know), but he then went into his home studio and did take after take, 'til he got the perfect demo, of him doing EVERY instrument and singing. He did this for HUNDREDS of songs, before getting into the legit recording studios; the man was (and is, technically lol) relentless in his pursuit of putting out the best quality and best-made music he could, which is why all of the music is so well-produced and nearly perfect on a technical level.

The only other group/musician I know that was this obsessive, was Steely Dan (watch their Classic Albums for Aja; a brilliant hour of television).

If Entwistle and Pete had 4 arms each, I promise you hey would be a two-piece and handle everything themselves, lol; and many forget that Entwistle was a classically-trained musician as well, as he could play any horn or woodwind (and he did, frequently) and his piano playing is excellent as well.

The two are virtually unsurpassed Big Grin
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Annie Wilson
Pat Benatar
Chrissy Hynde
Napolitano of course. Love Everybody Knows = Epic
Stevie Nicks

Also of the newer I like Alanis and Fiona Apple was great in Tidal.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2020, 12:46 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Annie Wilson
Pat Benatar
Chrissy Hynde
Napolitano of course. Love Everybody Knows = Epic
Stevie Nicks

Also of the newer I like Alanis and Fiona Apple was great in Tidal.

I hated Fiona back in the day, but her voice has certainly grown on me with age. I still don't listen to her, but I get it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 12:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: What a wonderful paragraph; the smile is beaming on me right now! Big Grin lol

The bold is what I have been saying to people, the last 5-6 years; when I was younger and just getting to learn about music and my tastes/where I fit in, I always maintained that there were 2 frontmen in the Who. But yes, all 4 were absolutely frontmen and the crazy thing is, Entwistle is almost entirely on Pete's level in every major music-related element (though in writing, I don't think he is at Pete's level, while he is very good).

I picked up the Lifehouse Chronicles last month and have listened to nothing but, since. Through reading and learning, I now know how Pete wrote; he literally wrote all of the music for each musician (which I did already know), but he then went into his home studio and did take after take, 'til he got the perfect demo, of him doing EVERY instrument and singing. He did this for HUNDREDS of songs, before getting into the legit recording studios; the man was (and is, technically lol) relentless in his pursuit of putting out the best quality and best-made music he could, which is why all of the music is so well-produced and nearly perfect on a technical level.

The only other group/musician I know that was this obsessive, was Steely Dan (watch their Classic Albums for Aja; a brilliant hour of television).

If Entwistle and Pete had 4 arms each, I promise you hey would be a two-piece and handle everything themselves, lol; and many forget that Entwistle was a classically-trained musician as well, as he could play any horn or woodwind (and he did, frequently) and his piano playing is excellent as well.

The two are virtually unsurpassed Big Grin

Yep... I never zoned out on the bass in the Who until the last 10 or 15 years. Ya know; after he died. He was sick on that thing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
After doing much listening and re-evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that Pink must be in the top 5. She's got not just overall vocal quality, but range and pitch to all levels. In my opinion, she's very underrated by our consensus opinions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 10:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After doing much listening and re-evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that Pink must be in the top 5. She's got not just overall vocal quality, but range and pitch to all levels. In my opinion, she's very underrated by our consensus opinions.

Vocal chops-wise, she is phenomenal; can do R&B/Soul like a black chick can, can sound country like the southerners do, etc. There's the famous story of her getting up in a black, R&B club in the late 90s in Philadelphia. She started singing Mary J. Blige or someone, initially was booed and crap because she's white, but then won the crowd over soon after and they went nuts for her.

Something along those lines.

Shitty-ass attitude, 90% of the time though; Carey Hart must be a saint.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 10:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After doing much listening and re-evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that Pink must be in the top 5. She's got not just overall vocal quality, but range and pitch to all levels. In my opinion, she's very underrated by our consensus opinions.

I've played that song of hers Who Knew at open mics before... It kills.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 10:22 PM)jason Wrote: I hated Fiona back in the day, but her voice has certainly grown on me with age. I still don't listen to her, but I get it.

I cranked a few out in honor of this Fiona in the 80s

Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 08:22 PM)Lucidus Wrote: My husband and two of our dearest friends went to see them and it was a beautiful experience. Florence is an amazing singer and performer. Her natural vibrato is like none other.

your husband? Aint you a man according to your picture?
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 10:24 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... I never zoned out on the bass in the Who until the last 10 or 15 years. Ya know; after he died. He was sick on that thing.

He flat out kills on The Real Me from Quadrophenia.  I could listen to that song over and over.  I actually saw Pearl Jam cover that song live (on TV) at a Who tribute, which is what got me more interested in them overall.  12 or so years later, I feel like that cover was the best performance I've ever seen them have.  That's how great The Who was.  They can write a song that even in the hands of another, arguably iconic band, becomes their best work.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 03:44 PM)magikod Wrote: No Hope Sandoval?

No Kim Deal?

Rep for Kim Deal. Pixies are one my favorite bands, and I like a lot of her Breeders stuff.

Reply/Quote
Joan Jett is pretty good too.
Reply/Quote
For me the top 5 female Rock singers based on pure talent and not popularity have to be :-

Amy Lee - Evanescence
Ann Wilson - Heart
Dolores O'Riordan - The Cranberries
Steve Nicks
Alanis Morissette

Outside the Rock genre the other top female singers I really like are :-

Eddi Reader - especially when she sings Burns
Tina Turner
Sheryl Crow
Tori Amos
Reply/Quote