Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5
(03-21-2022, 08:07 PM)Yogo Wrote: I know Zac has some suspect calls as head coach, but man is he good at making personal decisions.  Might make a great GM someday.

Zac went from being hated to beloved and now has the entire team, organization and even the doubting fans full support. 

Have not seen a rejuvenation like this for Bengals ever. The owner is spending in FA now, the team has 100% bought in, well maybe there are still some fans that will never be happy. 

Yet that's just par for the course in Cincy though, lol, I kid 

Do credit Zac for all this and he has been killing it with just about every single move made.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:29 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Zac went from being hated to beloved and now has the entire team, organization and even the doubting fans full support. 

Have not seen a rejuvenation like this for Bengals ever. The owner is spending in FA now, the team has 100% bought in, well maybe there are still some fans that will never be happy. Credit Zac

That's just par for the course in Cincy though, lol, I kid 

The rejuvination is insane.........after winning 6 games in his first years to winning 10 regular season games, our first Playoff win
in 31+ years and our first 2 road Playoff games ever as a Bengals HC? Zac has earned this and the FO and him followed through 
in this Free Agency once again. Hard not to like the guy when we were losing. How can you not like him when we are winning and 
starting to look like the main contender to beat in the AFC to get to the Superbowl?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: Hey, it worked last year: Chase can't catch the ball, need a new head coach, idiotic to pick Chase, Burrow is gun shy, need a new defensive coordinator, etc. Watching the Bengals overcome all the negativity made the season that much more special. And we're not talking just posters. Media was highlighting Chase drops and how the Bengals would win 4 games.

I don't know if we can every get a season as special as this one given the expectations going into the season. 

The ‘Chase drops’ are long forgotten now but boy was that was awesome reading at the time. 
Reply/Quote
An overwhelming majority of people here judge free agency based on a few huge signings. But that is not how it works. Instead you have to look at how a team replaces all the players they lose and what they add beyond that. A $80 million signing is useless if you fail to fill 3 other holes left by free agency.

You also have to look at how responsible a team is with its cap. It is okay to go "all in" if you have a bunch of older players and the window is closing, but it would not make sense for a young rising team like the Bengals.

And finally you have to consider how it plays out long term. An $8 million-a-year 28 year old is more valuable than an $8 million-a-year 32 year old.

1. Not a single player we signed to replace a departing player was a significant "step down".
2. Some of the players we signed were big upgrades.
3. We got younger on almost every deal and A LOT younger on the O-line.
4. We managed our cap brilliantly.

Got to be top 5 in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:34 PM)wanga Wrote: The ‘Chase drops’ are long forgotten now but boy was that was awesome reading at the time. 

One of the biggest issues going into the season was Jonah's ability to stay healthy.  A lot of fans forget what a big question mark that was.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals astutely and wisely went after
Olinemen who's best days performance wise may lie
Ahead of them. It's not like they paid good money
For olinemen whos best playing days were in the rear view
Mirror.

I.can say the same for Hayden Hurst. He certainly hasnt reached his ceiling yet. Much upside to these signings
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: An overwhelming majority of people here judge free agency based on a few huge signings.  But that is not how it works.  Instead you have to look at how a team replaces all the players they lose and what they add beyond that.  A $80 million signing is useless if you fail to fill 3 other holes left by free agency.

You also have to look at how responsible a team is with its cap.  It is okay to go "all in" if you have a bunch of older players and the window is closing, but it would not make sense for a young rising team like the Bengals.

And finally you have to consider how it plays out long term.  An $8 million-a-year 28 year old is more valuable than an $8 million-a-year 32 year old.

1.  Not a single player we signed to replace a departing player was a significant "step down".
2.  Some of the players we signed were big upgrades.
3.  We got younger on almost every deal and A LOT younger on the O-line.
4.  We managed our cap brilliantly.

Got to be top 5 in the league.

Who are you and what did you do with Fred? Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals astutely and wisely went after
Mirror.

I.can say the same for Hayden Hurst. He certainly hasnt reached his ceiling yet. Much upside to these signings

You trying to write a haiku? Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 06:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pat Kirwan today said he has the Bengals in the top 5 free agency periods so far.

I have them in my top 1. Bengals kept their cap cash well managed, needed three better than average starting linemen and got them without forfeiting future years cap flexibility.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:55 PM)Yogo Wrote: You trying to write a haiku? Tongue

Where you been? Impactplaya always writes in haikus... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:55 PM)Yogo Wrote: You trying to write a haiku? Tongue

I use the keyboard on my phone and it just comes out as such..
Reply/Quote
Bengals are steadily scheming.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:56 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I have them in my top 1.  Bengals kept their cap cash well managed, needed three better than average starting linemen and got them without forfeiting future years cap flexibility.

HECK!  They did so well that they didn't even have to restructure any current contracts to boot!  Outstanding!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals astutely and wisely went after
Mirror.

Can anyone explain to me how some user's posts have the post format screwed up in this manner? 
Nobody wants to read your stupid blogs or click on your referral links.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:29 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Zac went from being hated to beloved and now has the entire team, organization and even the doubting fans full support. 

Have not seen a rejuvenation like this for Bengals ever. The owner is spending in FA now, the team has 100% bought in, well maybe there are still some fans that will never be happy. 

Yet that's just par for the course in Cincy though, lol, I kid 

Do credit Zac for all this and he has been killing it with just about every single move made.

Zac got much better as a play caller this year, but he has so much more room for growth. So does Burrow and Chase and Higgins they are all so young it is going to be fun to watch.

Zac's play calling will be much improved if we can pick up a 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 with this online running the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 06:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Pat Kirwan today said he has the Bengals in the top 5 free agency periods so far.

One of the only guys that digs below the surface on each team....
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 06:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I believe it. They have been smartly aggressive. I've never been this excited heading into a season. This year, we just wanted to break 500. Then we made it to the playoff and we just wanted to win the first playoff game in 30+ yrs. Then we won 3 and went to the SB. Never would have thought it could happen, but then it did and we almost won the damn thing. Now, with these upgrades and more to come, we may have what it takes to go the distance.

I completely agree.  The Bengal team we saw in the playoffs was light years improved over the Bengal team we saw in, say, week 2.

It often gets overlooked, but they not only kept their roster intact, but their HC, DC, OC, offensive line coach, and ST coach.  

Stability breeds success.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They've been hitting home runs in free agency. Hoping it continues.

With what the Reds are doing these will be the only home runs in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote

The Bengals have done a nice job for the past three offseasons at utilizing free agency to improve the quality of the roster, but as another popular member on here recently said "Let's not get carried away"..   Ninja Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of the only guys that digs below the surface on each team....

Yes, him and Jim Miller have the best show on NFL radio IMO, followed by Rich Gannon's show.
Reply/Quote