Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Gun Movie Error?
I always find mistakes in movies, and tell me if I'm missing something here:

Maverick and Goose are walking on the runway and that random pilot asks if Maverick heard about Iceman and that he got another one.

However, when they're in the locker room after they lose, Goose says "at least Viper got Iceman before he got us."

They had just found out that Iceman won, but now all the sudden he lost?!

Am I seeing this wrong or something?!
Reply/Quote
Also, Mavericks hair is WAY out of Navy regulations. Officers get leeway but come on!
Reply/Quote
There are so many mistakes in "Top Gun" you could fill an entire book with them. There is a ton of "artistic license" taken and distortion of the facts and reality as well.

I could list a few dozen just from memory !

But it was still a pretty cool movie back in the day. And like nearly all movies becomes a bit cheesy over time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 01:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There are so many mistakes in "Top Gun" you could fill an entire book with them. There is a ton of "artistic license" taken and distortion of the facts and reality as well.

But it was still a pretty cool movie back in the day. And like nearly all movies becomes a bit cheesy over time.

List a few because, like I said, I love things like this!

Another one from a Tom Cruise movie is from War of the Worlds when he uses a cell phone after the aliens had invaded and all the cell phones and everything stopped working (I think I remember that right).
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 01:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: List a few because, like I said, I love things like this!

Another one from a Tom Cruise movie is from War of the Worlds when he uses a cell phone after the aliens had invaded and all the cell phones and everything stopped working (I think I remember that right).

I’d like to hear more. I notice stuff as I’m watching but can’t think of any off the top of my head.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 01:52 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’d like to hear more. I notice stuff as I’m watching but can’t think of any off the top of my head.

I've made a thread about this but another one off the top of my head is in Terminator when John Connor sends Kyle Reis (spelling?) back in time to stop the terminator from killing his mom but then Kyle knocks up his mom and is his dad, so how could John Connor's dad be someone older than him and how could Connor even exist if his dad didn't knock-up his mom until Connor sent him back?

I word it better in the other thread but I'm hella tired right now.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
OK,

In the artistic license area:

1. There is no Top Gun trophy - totally made up aspect of the movie.

2. The Mig 28 was totally fictitious. They're F-5's, but where you gonna get a half dozen real migs to shoot a movie with ? And Mig's have always been given odd numbers by Nato. Mig 17, 19, 21 etc.

3. At the end of the graduation ceremony suddenly several graduates are given emergency orders to fly out to a carrier in the middle of the I.O. (Indian Ocean). Carrier air wings are assigned for every WesPac Deployment well in advance, and do a lot of training for deployment. They'd have to qualify for night and day traps, (landing on the carrier underway at sea) before they'd be sent off on a mission. And members don't generally just join the team like that.

To say the least it's a stretch that they'd be flown out to sea and that evening or whatever be in combat !

In the general mistakes area: I'd have to go back and watch it for total accuracy but just from memory

1. I believe they show a couple different Carriers in both the opening scene and final battle.

2. There are numerous incorrect shots of F-14's and A-4's in the training scenes that are way off ! Scenes where F-14 are shown fully armed or partially with missiles, Phoenix, sidewinder, and sparrow and the next scene they're unarmed - no missiles.

They talk about the "hard deck" being 10,00 feet but many shots/scenes are shown where they're no where near that high.

3. The fight scene at the end the same thing with the missiles no missiles shown on F-14's and the Migs as well I believe.

4. The Russians didn't use French "Exocet" antishipping missiles. That I'm aware of ?

5. The Captain of a ship wears a command at sea gold star on his I believe right shirt pocket ? There are a couple different scenes where they show him without it on.

6. There are again scenes where the uniforms change ribbons and such still in the same moment/scene.

7. They blur the lines with the Captain of the ship and an Air Wing Commander. Like the scene where the "Captain" takes I forget his call sign ? the guy that quits resignation. That would most likely be the Air Wing Commander doing that and assigning Maverick and Goose to Top Gun in their place.

This is just quickly off the top of my head, I'm sure I could watch it again and triple this list.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 01:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There are so many mistakes in "Top Gun" you could fill an entire book with them. There is a ton of "artistic license" taken and distortion of the facts and reality as well.

SHUT YO MOUTH!!

[Image: th?id=OIP.3zCRN11qUDcgOulqvqaa-gExDM&pid...=262&h=177]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The scene where Maverick talks to Charlie in the elevator was filmed long after the movie was wrapped. You can tell she looks totally different. She was actually in the middle of filming Witness and got called in
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I always find mistakes in movies, and tell me if I'm missing something here:

Maverick and Goose are walking on the runway and that random pilot asks if Maverick heard about Iceman and that he got another one.

However, when they're in the locker room after they lose, Goose says "at least Viper got Iceman before he got us."

They had just found out that Iceman won, but now all the sudden he lost?!

Am I seeing this wrong or something?!

I think they were talking about how Viper got Ice Man a few weeks earlier. Not necessarily that same day. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 01:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: List a few because, like I said, I love things like this!

Ah but theres a twist...   Any electronics that were working when the emp went off was destroyed....  But if something was fixed after or had no electronic charge during it could work after... IE the mini van hes driving when all other cars are dead.  

This is why in the event of an EMP its good to have some electronic parts buried in a microwave somewhere lol
Reply/Quote
I thought Tom Cruise flying a jet was pretty outlandish.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The scene in the beginning where he goes inverted and is canopy to canopy with the mig and flips off the russian pilot...if they were as close as shown, the vertical stabilizers (tail) would have been touching between the planes.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 11:26 AM)Beaker Wrote: The scene in the beginning where he goes inverted and is canopy to canopy with the mig and flips off the russian pilot...if they were as close as shown, the vertical stabilizers (tail) would have been touching between the planes.

Never thought about that one!

GREAT catch!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 02:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: OK,

In the artistic license area:

1. There is no Top Gun trophy - totally made up aspect of the movie.

2. The Mig 28 was totally fictitious. They're F-5's, but where you gonna get a half dozen real migs to shoot a movie with ? And Mig's have always been given odd numbers by Nato. Mig 17, 19, 21 etc.

3. At the end of the graduation ceremony suddenly several graduates are given emergency orders to fly out to a carrier in the middle of the I.O. (Indian Ocean). Carrier air wings are assigned for every WesPac Deployment well in advance, and do a lot of training for deployment. They'd have to qualify for night and day traps, (landing on the carrier underway at sea) before they'd be sent off on a mission. And members don't generally just join the team like that.

To say the least it's a stretch that they'd be flown out to sea and that evening or whatever be in combat !

In the general mistakes area: I'd have to go back and watch it for total accuracy but just from memory

1. I believe they show a couple different Carriers in both the opening scene and final battle.

2. There are numerous incorrect shots of F-14's and A-4's in the training scenes that are way off ! Scenes where F-14 are shown fully armed or partially with missiles, Phoenix, sidewinder, and sparrow and the next scene they're unarmed - no missiles.

They talk about the "hard deck" being 10,00 feet but many shots/scenes are shown where they're no where near that high.

3. The fight scene at the end the same thing with the missiles no missiles shown on F-14's and the Migs as well I believe.

4. The Russians didn't use French "Exocet" antishipping missiles. That I'm aware of ?

5. The Captain of a ship wears a command at sea gold star on his I believe right shirt pocket ? There are a couple different scenes where they show him without it on.

6. There are again scenes where the uniforms change ribbons and such still in the same moment/scene.

7. They blur the lines with the Captain of the ship and an Air Wing Commander. Like the scene where the "Captain" takes  I forget his call sign ? the guy that quits resignation. That would most likely be the Air Wing Commander doing that and assigning Maverick and Goose to Top Gun in their place.

This is just quickly off the top of my head, I'm sure I could watch it again and triple this list.
Not really. You can have more than one captain on a ship. You can have the ship's captain (whose rank isn't always captain) and another officer whose rank is captain but not the ship's commander. I'd have to pay attention to the guy's insignia but I suspect that is the case here.
(11-23-2017, 11:26 AM)Beaker Wrote: The scene in the beginning where he goes inverted and is canopy to canopy with the mig and flips off the russian pilot...if they were as close as shown, the vertical stabilizers (tail) would have been touching between the planes.

Nope. The F14 has twin stabilizers and the F5s used as Migs have a single stabilizer. The Mig's would fit between that of an F14. 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 08:27 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Nope. The F14 has twin stabilizers and the F5s used as Migs have a single stabilizer. The Mig's would fit between that of an F14. 

True, but in 1984 the russians were flying Mig-25s which have twin vertical stabilizers also. The inaccuracy of F-5s as Migs has already been pointed out.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 12:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: True, but in 1984 the russians were flying Mig-25s which have twin vertical stabilizers also. The inaccuracy of F-5s as Migs has already been pointed out.

But according to the movie they weren't Mig 25s. I think they called them Mig 28s which there is no such thing. They were also still flying Mig 21s and 23s though both of which have a single stabilizer.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 08:10 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: But according to the movie they weren't Mig 25s. I think they called them Mig 28s which there is no such thing. They were also still flying Mig 21s and 23s though both of which have a single stabilizer.

Let's just say if they were canopy to canopy as close as shown in the movie any vertical stabilizers would have made contact with something on the other plane.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:51 AM)Beaker Wrote: Let's just say if they were canopy to canopy as close as shown in the movie any vertical stabilizers would have made contact with something on the other plane.

But when has realism ever been a hallmark in cinema?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2017, 12:20 PM)Beaker Wrote:
True, but in 1984 the russians were flying Mig-25s
which have twin vertical stabilizers also. The inaccuracy of F-5s as Migs has already been pointed out.

Mig-25s?  Not Firefox?

[Image: MiG-31_Firefox.jpg]
Reply/Quote