Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Top Gun Question
In Top Gun, Maverick tells Iceman to come off high right and, when he does, Maverick flies through his jet stream and sends him into the spin, so they spend the rest of the movie acting like it’s not his fault, but isn’t it his fault that he flew through the jet stream when Iceman did what Maverick told him to do?

Did Maverick screw up and deserve more blame?
Reply/Quote
Well, it is why Maverick was put on trial instead of Iceman
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2020, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, it is why Maverick was put on trial instead of Iceman

I think that was just because it's a technicality and what was required to happen, plus it set the stage for Viper saying "keep sending him up" after Jester (I think it was Jester?) says "you know, he just might not make it back." 

Plus, if they make it so Iceman is to blame, then that takes away from putting the blame on Maverick.
Reply/Quote
Because it was a really unbelievable and shitty movie to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Because it was a really unbelievable and shitty movie to begin with.

There's your winning answer.

Sound editing and plane shots are awesome, plus Anthony Edwards is superb.

Otherwise, a wholly-forgettable and shitty film, that very few care about, outside of the US.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Because it was a really unbelievable and shitty movie to begin with.

(05-28-2020, 01:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There's your winning answer.

Otherwise, a wholly-forgettable and shitty film, that very few care about, outside of the US.

Don't forget the soundtrack.  Take it away and the movie is a complete bomb...
Reply/Quote

(05-28-2020, 01:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There's your winning answer.

(05-28-2020, 11:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Don't forget the soundtrack.  Take it away and the movie is a complete bomb...

Shut your whorish mouths.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Shut your whorish mouths.

I was reading those and wondering if I was the only one thinking that!

I LOVE that movie!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Shut your whorish mouths.

Fifty dolla

[Image: Rolling-Stones-tongue-and-lips-logo-web-...d-1000.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 02:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was reading those and wondering if I was the only one thinking that!

I LOVE that movie!

Lot's of men can't handle the deep feelings that the volleyball scene stirs up inside them, so they deal with their confusion by lashing out in hatred.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 11:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Don't forget the soundtrack.  Take it away and the movie is a complete bomb...

That's subjective Wink.

I will admit that Danger Zone fits that scene VERY well, but KL is... not the greatest musician LOL

(05-29-2020, 02:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was reading those and wondering if I was the only one thinking that!

I LOVE that movie!

(05-29-2020, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lot's of men can't handle the deep feelings that the volleyball scene stirs up inside them, so they deal with their confusion by lashing out in hatred.

Nope, not confused about anything (not sure if this is the trademark, "Fred Sarcasm," or not), it's just a poor film. People love Tom Cruise, regardless of the validity of his films.

And my second favourite film ever, is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (while not in the same realm {no pun intended} of the films it is usually lumped in with, you are allowed to like less-than stellar films).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The two things that made me smh in that movie:

1. In the beginning of the movie when he goes inverted to flip off the MiG, they show the canopies nearly touching. If that were the case, the vertical stabilizers would be in contact...can't happen.

2. In the part where Maverick shoots down Viper, but it doesn't count because he went below the 10,000 ft hard deck. Several times during that sequence, you can see the mountains in the background...from the side. Shouldn't happen if you're supposed to be conducting operations above 10,000 ft.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 03:09 PM)Beaker Wrote: The two things that made me smh in that movie:

1. In the beginning of the movie when he goes inverted to flip off the MiG, they show the canopies nearly touching. If that were the case, the vertical stabilizers would be in contact...can't happen.

2. In the part where Maverick shoots down Viper, but it doesn't count because he went below the 10,000 ft hard deck. Several times during that sequence, you can see the  mountains in the background...from the side. Shouldn't happen if you're supposed to be conducting operations above 10,000 ft.

Thanks Chuck Yeager 

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 02:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote:  People love Tom Cruise, regardless of the validity of his films.

I'm not a Tom Cruise fan the only movie of his I can really say I liked is The Last Samurai.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 03:09 PM)Beaker Wrote: The two things that made me smh in that movie:

2. In the part where Maverick shoots down Viper, but it doesn't count because he went below the 10,000 ft hard deck. Several times during that sequence, you can see the  mountains in the background...from the side. Shouldn't happen if you're supposed to be conducting operations above 10,000 ft.

Yep and there's a  half a dozen more I can think of just off the top of my head. 

Mig 28's = F5

Mig's are all odd numbered anyways

There isn't a top gun trophy

The bald headed guy that plays the CAG, in a couple scenes they show him with the command at sea pin on his uniform, it's missing in others. The only person that wears that pin is the Captain of the ship. They have the CAG being a commander = to a Lt. Colonel in Army which is possible. However the Captain of an aircraft carrier, at least to my knowledge is always a Navy rank Captain which = Full Colonel in Army rank.

It's confusing I know but the rank Captain and the title Captain are two different things in the navy. You can have the title Captain of a usually smaller ship and have the actual rank of Lt. Commander.

The battle scenes will show an F-14 loaded with missiles in one shot and none in another, then back to full load etc.

At the briefing at the beginning of fighter weapons training Jester makes the statement something like the planes you'll be flying against (F5, A4's) are "lighter, faster, and more maneuverable". Umm the F14 would due mach 2.3 The F5 about mach 1.6 and the A4 is subsonic except maybe in a dive.

A statement is said about Kelly McGillis "she's a civilian so you do not salute her" ummm they wouldn't need to be told not to salute a civilian.

You're never outside in uniform without a cover - hat

I mean you could go on and on and on. But the truth is like 98% of military movies and action movies this is true about.

Private Ryan which is a much more technically accurate movie can likewise be ripped to shreads. But where are you going to get a working Tiger tank at ?
Reply/Quote

2. In the part where Maverick shoots down Viper Jester, but it doesn't count because he went below the 10,000 ft hard deck. Several times during that sequence, you can see the  mountains in the background...from the side. Shouldn't happen if you're supposed to be conducting operations above 10,000 ft.

Thought i'd fix that for ya. 
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 09:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep and there's a  half a dozen more I can think of just off the top of my head. 

Mig 28's = F5

Mig's are all odd numbered anyways

There isn't a top gun trophy

The bald headed guy that plays the CAG, in a couple scenes they show him with the command at sea pin on his uniform, it's missing in others. The only person that wears that pin is the Captain of the ship. They have the CAG being a commander = to a Lt. Colonel in Army which is possible. However the Captain of an aircraft carrier, at least to my knowledge is always a Navy rank Captain which = Full Colonel in Army rank.

It's confusing I know but the rank Captain and the title Captain are two different things in the navy. You can have the title Captain of a usually smaller ship and have the actual rank of Lt. Commander.

The battle scenes will show an F-14 loaded with missiles in one shot and none in another, then back to full load etc.

At the briefing at the beginning of fighter weapons training Jester makes the statement something like the planes you'll be flying against (F5, A4's) are "lighter, faster, and more maneuverable". Umm the F14 would due mach 2.3 The F5 about mach 1.6 and the A4 is subsonic except maybe in a dive.

A statement is said about Kelly McGillis "she's a civilian so you do not salute her" ummm they wouldn't need to be told not to salute a civilian.

You're never outside in uniform without a cover - hat

I mean you could go on and on and on. But the truth is like 98% of military movies and action movies this is true about.

Private Ryan which is a much more technically accurate movie can likewise be ripped to shreads. But where are you going to get a working Tiger tank at ?
Spot on. Also, when this shitty movie was made, Tom Cruise would have been to short to be a fighter pilot.
Reply/Quote

Yeah I tried to watch this for the first time with my Dad - and after an hour I'm like what the hell why is this movie famous. I mean the soundtrack is good.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 11:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Spot on. Also, when this shitty movie was made, Tom Cruise would have been to short to be a fighter pilot.

Why always trying to push short man down, just because you are 7ft tall and could not make NBA does NOT mean we can make fun of Tom Cruise height!
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 11:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Spot on. Also, when this shitty movie was made, Tom Cruise would have been to short to be a fighter pilot.

Wait, has he GROWN since then???

I guess Scientology finally paid off for him Hilarious
Reply/Quote