Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torrey Smith released...
He was released after having a down season but has speed and would be a great #2 option (IMO)...

He's 28 (Younger than A.J. Green) and would be a perfect complement, ran a 4.36 at the combine in 2011 and I think he could certainly be a great addition for us if we looked into him...

Thoughts?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Would
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 07:58 PM)milksheikh Wrote: He was released after having a down season but has speed and would be a great #2 option (IMO)...

He's 28 (Younger than A.J. Green) and would be a perfect complement, ran a 4.36 at the combine in 2011 and I think he could certainly be a great addition for us if we looked into him...

Thoughts?

Yeah my initial thought is.......WTF was he released?  I'd like to know that before committing in any way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 08:33 PM)Stewy Wrote: Yeah my initial thought is.......WTF was he released?  I'd like to know that before committing in any way.

Likely part of a cash saving effort toward their reconstruction.  That, and with the proliferation of the spread offense in College Football, the college game has been producing an inordinately high number of WRs that are ready to play in the NFL.  This overload of talent at that position could be fueling a bit of a devaluing of the position, in terms of contract value, similar to what the RB position went through for a few years. 

Of course, I'm just speculating, but that is what I think.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
All for more speed at WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Likely part of a cash saving effort toward their reconstruction.  That, and with the proliferation of the spread offense in College Football, the college game has been producing an inordinately high number of WRs that are ready to play in the NFL.  This overload of talent at that position could be fueling a bit of a devaluing of the position, in terms of contract value, similar to what the RB position went through for a few years. 

Of course, I'm just speculating, but that is what I think.

I mean that in itself is a good observation in general, but I'd be all for Smith.  
Reply/Quote
Smith wasn't that bad, most of it was the poopy niners offense
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If we took Smith I don't think we would need to take a WR high. I'm pretty high on Boyd and Core to improve this year. Someone like Smith would definitely help us out and allow us to hit a different need in the draft.
Reply/Quote
Personally I love the fit. Probably won't cost too much which is the Bengals' MO and fills that need for a deep threat.
Reply/Quote
Smith is an above average WR...but I've never been a big fan.
Reply/Quote
He certainly would solve the void the Bengals have as far as a speedy deep threat goes.

Dude averages 17.0 yards per catch in his career. The 49ers just overpaid him, is all.. and then got rid of their other WRs and trotted out Kaepernick and Gabbert out at QB. He could do some nice things with AJ taking the attention away.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He fits what the offense needs. Has plenty of experience.
Reply/Quote
gone to the Eagles, 3 yrs 15 mil reported
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: gone to the Eagles, 3 yrs 15 mil reported

Same per year as we gave Lafell.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Same per year as we gave Lafell.

I'd rather have Smith and his over the top speed with the emergence of Boyd looking like a solid underneath option.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: gone to the Eagles, 3 yrs 15 mil reported

Along with Alshon Jeffrey
Reply/Quote
Bummer.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote

Terrance Williams for 4 yrs and 17 million would have been nice as well 
Reply/Quote