Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Toxic lockerroom players speak
(11-28-2020, 06:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ll tell you exactly why Zac Taylor won’t be fired.  The excuse from the Front Office will go something like this: “Zac needs a full season with Joe Burrow as quarterback for us to do an accurate evaluation.”

This is a pathetic excuse at best.  A good coach knows how to win even when the team’s best player goes down.  In my world the true evaluation of Zac Taylor takes place without Joe Burrow.

In my dream scenario for this offseason, the Bengals would fire Tobin and Taylor, then raid the Chiefs by bringing in Mike Borgonzi as the 'official GM' and he could then bring in Eric Bieniemy as the new HC. Unfortunately, I think the best we can hope for is possibly replacing Lou and Turner, and I don't even think that's a given.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 06:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In my dream scenario for this offseason, the Bengals would fire Tobin and Taylor, then raid the Chiefs by bringing in Mike Borgonzi as the 'official GM' and he could then bring in Eric Bieniemy as the new HC. Unfortunately, I think the best we can hope for is possibly replacing Lou and Turner, and I don't even think that's a given.

We will see how things go, but I don't see the point of keeping ZT if we're getting rid of the best guys he could dig up to be his underlings.  If ZT had to resort to hiring his lousy-resumed buddies when he was 0-0 how starved are we going to be for options once he is looking for coordinators after posting the worst 2 seasons as a HC in NFL history?

If I'm an NFL coordinator who has half a brain why would I sign up to work for a HC who went (possibly) 4-27-1 and was retained while his assistants were fired?  The optics of that situation are horrid.  Owner/GM with a 30+ year playoff win draught retains a HC with the worst NFL win percentage in nearly 100 years and now seeks assistant coaches to replace the ones they fired...and they promise when both of them continue to suck they won't just fire the assistants and blame them again.

Ick.  I know someone has to get fired after this season (in theory) but throwing even the most obviously awful assistants under the bus and then hoping we can replace them with someone who isn't amazingly underqualified just seems like a pipe dream.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 08:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We will see how things go, but I don't see the point of keeping ZT if we're getting rid of the best guys he could dig up to be his underlings.  If ZT had to resort to hiring his lousy-resumed buddies when he was 0-0 how starved are we going to be for options once he is looking for coordinators after posting the worst 2 seasons as a HC in NFL history?

If I'm an NFL coordinator who has half a brain why would I sign up to work for a HC who went (possibly) 4-27-1 and was retained while his assistants were fired?  The optics of that situation are horrid.  Owner/GM with a 30+ year playoff win draught retains a HC with the worst NFL win percentage in nearly 100 years and now seeks assistant coaches to replace the ones they fired...and they promise when both of them continue to suck they won't just fire the assistants and blame them again.

Ick.  I know someone has to get fired after this season (in theory) but throwing even the most obviously awful assistants under the bus and then hoping we can replace them with someone who isn't amazingly underqualified just seems like a pipe dream.
There is literally no chance we get any decent coaches in here. It's always gonna be " taking a chance on a guy".. I thought the biggest slap was when Mcaniel told Mike Brown, Thanks but no thanks to an interview for the job before Taylor got it..
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 08:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We will see how things go, but I don't see the point of keeping ZT if we're getting rid of the best guys he could dig up to be his underlings.  If ZT had to resort to hiring his lousy-resumed buddies when he was 0-0 how starved are we going to be for options once he is looking for coordinators after posting the worst 2 seasons as a HC in NFL history?

Indeed

Can a HC actually be retained after going 4-27-1 ? And there's a pretty good chance he will. He may fluke into 5 wins but it'll be a miracle. Oh I almost forgot, MB factor so yes he can.

Only reason I can think of any coach would consider coming here is JB. And they're thinking/hearing the HC job may be available to them once the can the current clown ?

But then again if the know how Mikey rolls they would know Clown Taylor may be 10-68-2 and still be HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 09:11 PM)Tony Wrote: There is literally no chance we get any decent coaches in here. It's always gonna be " taking a chance on a guy".. I thought the biggest slap was when Mcaniel told Mike Brown, Thanks but no thanks to an interview for the job before Taylor got it..

Marvin was one of the hottest coaching candidates in the league when he came here. And we didn’t even have a franchise QB in place at the time like we do now. We might not be someone’s first (or even second) choice, but it’s just not true that “no coach will come here.” There’s only 32 of these jobs in the world.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin was one of the hottest coaching candidates in the league when he came here. And we didn’t even have a franchise QB in place at the time like we do now. We might not be someone’s first (or even second) choice, but it’s just not true that “no coach will come here.” There’s only 32 of these jobs in the world.

Looking back at Marvin's record, it's absolutely shocking how much of a step backwards we have taken.  
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/LewiMa0.htm

I mean, he did get pretty stale after 16 years but, good god, we've got a huge mess on our hands now!  Even if ZT is given another year to get more than 2 wins (which no decent owner would tolerate), it could take several seasons to undo the damage from his time here. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 09:50 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Looking back at Marvin's record, it's absolutely shocking how much of a step backwards we have taken.  
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/LewiMa0.htm

I mean, he did get pretty stale after 16 years but, good god, we've got a huge mess on our hands now!  Even if ZT is given another year to get more than 2 wins (which no decent owner would tolerate), it could take several seasons to undo the damage from his time here. 

I so disagree that owners should just dump a coach taking over a terrible team after two years.. history has shown some good to great coaches have taken a few years to start to win... also history shows teams spiral for a long time by just changing coaches.. especially young QBs ... Burrow is not a "top tier "  QB but has shown improvement from beginning of season with Taylor. They have a good connection together to just go to a new Head Coach and a different system can be a setback for Burrow.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 10:40 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I so disagree that owners should just dump a coach taking over a terrible team after two years.. history has shown some good to great coaches have taken a few years to start to win... also history shows teams spiral for a long time by just changing coaches.. especially young QBs ... Burrow is not a "top tier "  QB but has shown improvement from beginning of season with Taylor. They have a good connection together to just go to a new Head Coach and a different system can be a setback for Burrow.  

I do not believe that Burrow has gotten better due to ZT.  I think he probably did that on his own after getting his ass kicked behind the OL that ZT and MB put in front of him.  While the Bengals made some good moves in FA on the defensive side of the ball, they did very little on the OL and so many people on this very board bitched about it during the offseason.  I was surprised Burrow lasted this long to be quite frank.

Marvin took over a 2-14 team from another inept head coach (Lebeau) that was never given another shot and will likely win more games (12) in 3 seasons than ZT will.  I think Marvin's 6-10 team was far better than what we have now, so I do not agree that ZT took over a terrible team.  He made it that way and he's not done yet. With Dunlap gone (doing fine now), Geno not playing anymore and AJ now a shell of his former self, one has to wonder how things unraveled so quickly.

Burrow came to us a great player already.  That had nothing to do with ZT.  Fell into our laps because ZT took Marvin's 6-10 team and made them worse.

His mangled left knee has everything to do with ZT with the coaching and OL he decided to put in front of him. 
The buck has to stop somewhere. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:44 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I do not believe that Burrow has gotten better due to ZT.  I think he probably did that on his own after getting his ass kicked behind the OL that ZT and MB put in front of him.  While the Bengals made some good moves in FA on the defensive side of the ball, they did very little on the OL and so many people on this very board bitched about it during the offseason.  I was surprised Burrow lasted this long to be quite frank.

Marvin took over a 2-14 team from another inept head coach (Lebeau) that was never given another shot and will likely win more games (12) in 3 seasons than ZT will.  I think Marvin's 6-10 team was far better than what we have now, so I do not agree that ZT took over a terrible team.  He made it that way and he's not done yet. With Dunlap gone (doing fine now), Geno not playing anymore and AJ now a shell of his former self, one has to wonder how things unraveled so quickly.

Burrow came to us a great player already.  That had nothing to do with ZT.  Fell into our laps because ZT took Marvin's 6-10 team and made them worse.

His mangled left knee has everything to do with ZT with the coaching and OL he decided to put in front of him. 

he came to us out of college.. many great players out of college are not just great in NFL.. the bottom line Burrow in aspects of his game he improved during the year.. and credits ZT a lot.. He could have remained silent or luke warm and has come out in full support of ZT...

We might as well just play Burrow in Madden Football if you think injuries don;t happen in the NFL especially on rebuilding teams... I was a supporter of Marvin but it was easy to notice the team was on a tail spin.. the answer is the Draft, look at Marvins last 4 years of draft picks.. not so great.. So far I believe ZT has drafted well  and deserves and will get a 3rd year. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 11:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If you are looking down the barrel of a 5th losing season in a row and a 2nd 2-win season in a row and the locker room isn't pissed you have a locker room full of apathetic losers, dontcha?

Even if they were happy they'd still be LOSERS.  Losers lose and the Bungles do that better than anyone
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 12:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: he came to us out of college.. many great players out of college are not just great in NFL.. the bottom line Burrow in aspects of his game he improved during the year.. and credits ZT a lot.. He could have remained silent or luke warm and has come out in full support of ZT...

We might as well just play Burrow in Madden Football if you think injuries don;t happen in the NFL especially on rebuilding teams... I was a supporter of Marvin but it was easy to notice the team was on a tail spin.. the answer is the Draft, look at Marvins last 4 years of draft picks.. not so great.. So far I believe ZT has drafted well  and deserves and will get a 3rd year. 
LMAO you think Taylor made the decisions who to draft?  Seriously?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 06:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In my dream scenario for this offseason, the Bengals would fire Tobin and Taylor, then raid the Chiefs by bringing in Mike Borgonzi as the 'official GM' and he could then bring in Eric Bieniemy as the new HC. Unfortunately, I think the best we can hope for is possibly replacing Lou and Turner, and I don't even think that's a given.

If I were Bieniemy, I’d take the plane ride to cincy, take a 3 day shit in the FO bathroom, tell ivanka brown to **** off to her face and take a Gatorade on the way out of the complex back to a plane out of town.

These people need to be publicly spit upon. Trash in the yard is no longer enough.
Reply/Quote
At work, I don’t quietly talk shit and gossip about my boss. Not because I don’t want to, but because I feel like it isn’t going to make my situation any better. If anything, it’ll make it worse.

What I do though, is quietly look for another job, and I would bet you that there are players on this team that will be taking that route if there aren’t significant changes soon. If you’re an upcoming free agent, you’d have to be stupid to not explore the option of going to a franchise with less dysfunction.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I can't believe there are 2 people here who believe in Zack Taylor... WTF has he done to make you have so much faith in him? 1 more year of him may seriously destroy this team fully. He needs to go and he needs to go now..
Reply/Quote

I truly believe that getting rid of Lou is the only guarantee after the season. I can see Zac keeping Turner around. I wouldn't be too surprised if they look towards a fired HC with defensive experience. We need someone with experience, not pull a Lou and just go with "only our 3rd option" on DCs.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 11:44 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I do not believe that Burrow has gotten better due to ZT.  I think he probably did that on his own after getting his ass kicked behind the OL that ZT and MB put in front of him.  While the Bengals made some good moves in FA on the defensive side of the ball, they did very little on the OL and so many people on this very board bitched about it during the offseason.  I was surprised Burrow lasted this long to be quite frank.

Joe Burrow disagrees....
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2020, 10:40 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I so disagree that owners should just dump a coach taking over a terrible team after two years.. history has shown some good to great coaches have taken a few years to start to win... also history shows teams spiral for a long time by just changing coaches.. especially young QBs ... Burrow is not a "top tier "  QB but has shown improvement from beginning of season with Taylor. They have a good connection together to just go to a new Head Coach and a different system can be a setback for Burrow.  

There’s also plenty examples in history that show good coaches can make bad teams good in their first year. This team is just as bad as it was last year, once Burrow was taken away. Means ZT has had almost two full years to make any improvements and the only thing he’s successfully done is drive away one of the franchises all time greats and be bad enough to get the first overall pick. If we want to keep talking history, ZT is historically the worst coach in NFL history in his first two seasons (expansion Bucs excluded).
Reply/Quote