Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Toxic lockerroom players speak
(11-24-2020, 12:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does anyone think we’re having threads like this if we had hired Del Rio and Bill Callahan instead?

Nope. Not at all.

But I can see why they don’t want to work under this worthless piece of **** head coach
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:18 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Nope. Not at all.

But I can see why they don’t want to work under this worthless piece of **** head coach

I mean, Bill Callahan’s son is our “OC” and we still couldn’t get him? How ****** up is that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I really don't get this. There have been multiple players that have not said one bad thing about ZT during interviews. DJ Reader was on twitter the other day saying how much he LOVED being in Cincy.

Things just don't add up for me. And this is coming from a guy that loathes ZT.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:15 PM)thillan Wrote: Marvin also had to deal with some much larger personalities, too. Can you imagine Burfict here right now?

Burfict would've put hands on somebody by now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
For those in town and who are familair with her, take note that Elise Jesse wrote this.

She's probably one of the nicest and most well respected members of the local media. And if you're wondering why she's not on WLWT any more, it's because her husband was UC's Strength and Conditioning Coach, and he took a job with UCONN. So that's probably why she's writing for SI now.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Taylor might have a great vision but he has no idea how to execute.
Specifically, you put two bad coaches (Turner, Anarumo) into positions of power and they are clearly having a negative effect on your team.

It really would not surprise me if we see a good amount of FAs leave this coming offseason if Taylor and his staff are retained.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

After reading this, I'm not sure how you can move forward with this staff. It's time to get on the hunt.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I really don't get this. There have been multiple players that have not said one bad thing about ZT during interviews. DJ Reader was on twitter the other day saying how much he LOVED being in Cincy.

Things just don't add up for me. And this is coming from a guy that loathes ZT.

DJ Reader is also one of Lous guys who no matter what won't be benched. Why wouldn't he love it in Cincy?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:09 PM)J24 Wrote: The funny thing is the culture wasn't bad under Marvin. You can be critical of Marvin for many things but I never heard of the locker room being  bad. 

Yea, Marvin's problem was performance in clutch spots, not culture.

I was hopeful when ZT was hired (it had the feeling of a McVay hiring, where you think the only way a guy that young is hired is if he is truly, truly exceptional in every way).

Then, when they hired a guy who had never been a defensive coordinator outside of an interim job at Miami, I was skeptical...It wasn't like Lou was some spring chicken either. He was in his 50s and had never held down a DC job on a full term basis before.

Then, when they hired an offensive coordinator who had never been an offensive coordinator before, I was a genuinely concerned. It seemed like we were crafting a coaching staff that had, collectively, about 1 full season of experience at their respective positions. That's not great for a team desperately in need of revision across the entire roster. But he had experience as a QB coach and was young, so I thought he had potential, especially considering who his dad was.

Then, when they announced he was hiring the bully and homophobe from the Miami Dolphins as his Oline coach, I was legitimately concerned and starting to think this coaching staff might not know what the **** they're doing. But I kept my hope alive, maybe out of necessity. It was, after all, a new dey.

It's a shame that it all turned out just as people feared it would. I just hope that the front office recognizes their mistake and corrects it before Burrow comes back from injury.
Reply/Quote
I couldn't be more disgusted with this staff and how their negligence harmed an outstanding young man who deserved better. Man I hope they all get canned.
Reply/Quote
Not sure I agree with everything I read and I hate these so called unnamed sources because that just makes the article harder to believe. I don't think it's a crime for coaches to use profanity. However, I do have an issue with the belittling aspect. A coaches job is to teach and bring the best out of your players. Insults are like kryptonite to that goal. It's not boot camp, it's the NFL. That approach seems stupid to me.

Reply/Quote
Obvious serious division in the locker room. This type,of environment will win you what 2-4 games a year?

Not shocking to me at all.

Turner has a long history of his toxicity. Lou shouldn’t even be a DC in the NFL, I don’t know anyone who,is a fan of him other than Zac Taylor.

Bottom line if season is over and everything is status quo for 2021, don’t expect anything different.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think you've hit the nail on the head.

After reading this, I'm not sure how you can move forward with this staff. It's time to get on the hunt.

I agree problem is with a Bengals front office the hunt comes once a decade.  
Reply/Quote
None of really know what is going on in the lockerroom.  Reporters love to build up big stories out of nothing.  I'd say that every team in the league has a player or two who feels he is not getting a fair shake or that the only reason he is not playing is because coaches are playing favorites.  That kind of stuff happens at every job.

But the front office will talk to the players after the season, and they will listen to the respected veterans.  None of the coaches on the staff had any prior connections with anyone in the front office.  So I don't think the front office will just ignore what the players say.

I believe that the fact that the Front office spent so much on free agents this last off season will make them quicker to fire the coaches.  They obviously were adverse to spending on free agents, and they are not going to keep coaches that waste the money they spend.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a Zac fan and want him gone, but that was a pretty poorly written article. It was lightly sourced and read more like an editorial rather than actual reporting.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:09 PM)J24 Wrote: The funny thing is the culture wasn't bad under Marvin. You can be critical of Marvin for many things but I never heard of the locker room being  bad. 

It wasn't?

Carson Palmer retirement threats.

Chad drama.

Player mutiny against Teryl Austin.
Reply/Quote
None of really know what is going on in the lockerroom. Reporters love to build up big stories out of nothing. I'd say that every team in the league has a player or two who feels he is not getting a fair shake or that the only reason he is not playing is because coaches are playing favorites. That kind of stuff happens at every job.

But the front office will talk to the players after the season, and they will listen to the respected veterans. None of the coaches on the staff had any prior connections with anyone in the front office. So I don't think the front office will just ignore what the players say.

I believe that the fact that the Front office spent so much on free agents this last off season will make them quicker to fire the coaches. They obviously were adverse to spending on free agents, and they are not going to keep coaches that waste the money they spend.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree problem is with a Bengals front office the hunt comes once a decade.  

They only gave Dick LeBeau two drafts to fix this team before he was replaced.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: It wasn't?

Carson Palmer retirement threats.

Chad drama.

Player mutiny against Teryl Austin.

Pretty sure Carson was more upset at Mike than Marv. Guys like Chad will always have some sort of drama, its how you manage it. Just like the Steelers with AB, Ben, and Bell. 

Overall, Marv did hold a good locker room I believe.
Reply/Quote
Players aren't unlike fans. As some point you expect to see results.

I don't care what culture you claim to be building. If your team is 4-21-1, there's going to be people in that locker room that think you're full of shit. Nobody can continue to buy in and take your program seriously if it continues to fail.

I love how just becaue Zac says he's building a culture, and fluff writers like Hobson repeat it, that everyone takes it as gospel. Where is the evidence of said culture? At some point you would expect to see it come to form, via wins, energy, excitement, etc.

If I tell you I'm builing a house, and you come by to check on my progess after 6 months, and there's zero evidence of construction, are you going to believe I've been building? Wouldn't you expect to see a foundation, maybe some framing, etc.?

What's he actually built thus far is the worst team in the NFL over a two year span. That's something we haven't been in almost 20 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 12:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was hopeful when ZT was hired (it had the feeling of a McVay hiring, where you think the only way a guy that young is hired is if he is truly, truly exceptional in every way).

ZT being hired had a bit of a "getting a Turbo Grafix 16 when the other kids got a Sega Genesis/Super Nintendo" kinda Christmas.  Other teams were getting accomplished young OCs and we got a ho-hum QB coach...it's just so very RC Cola of Mike Brown.

Here we are a few weeks after Christmas hearing the other kids talk about Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World and we're trying to pretend Keith Courage doesn't suck ass.  Bogus.
Reply/Quote