Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Back Mock
I think we should consider trading back. Its a pretty deep draft at certain positions. In this mock I traded back twice in the first and still got the guy that some people was hoping for. I would love a draft like this. comments.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 16 (BALT): Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee (A-)

Round 2 Pick 9: Forrest Lamp, OG/OT, Western Kentucky (A-)

Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin (A-)

Round 2 Pick 15 (BALT): Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington (B)

Round 3 Pick 9: Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (A)

Round 3 Pick 10 (PHI): Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (A)

Round 3 Pick 11 (BUF): Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee (A+)

Round 4 Pick 9: Josh Jones, FS, NC State (A)

Round 4 Pick 32 (COMP): Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland (B+)

Round 4 Pick 39 (COMP): Davon Godchaux, DT, LSU (A+)

Round 5 Pick 9: Davis Webb, QB, California (A-)

Round 6 Pick 9: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (A)

Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Carlos Henderson, WR, Louisiana Tech (A+)

Round 6 Pick 36 (COMP): Riley Bullough, ILB, Michigan State (D-)

Round 7 Pick 9: Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force (D-)
Reply/Quote
First thought - 15 players is way too many. We aren't Cleveland

I'm not a huge fan of any of your first 4 picks. I don't think Lamp is a guy that can come in and play in this offense at RG. Give me Freeney instead.

I don't think Watt fits at all as a LB here. Kupp is pretty much a guy that would compete with Boyd in the slot, I'd rather have a guy that can work outside.

The rest of it is ok, but mainly because there are bunch of guys that are slotted to go much higher than they do in your draft.

I'd much rather move up in the 3rd and 4th rounds to get better prospects. I don't see the need to have 15 new players.
Reply/Quote
Dude the draft is a crap shoot so why settle for x many picks when you can drop back say 8 spots and get 2-4 extra picks, its not like we would have to sign all of them, the more rolls the better the odds. Bring some competition in at as many positions as possible. As for Kupp, not sure why you think he would just compete with Boyd in the slot, he may be the best deep threat in this draft. I think he would be perfect opposite Green.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 03:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Dude the draft is a crap shoot so why settle for x many picks when you can drop back say 8 spots and get 2-4 extra picks, its not like we would have to sign all of them, the more rolls the better the odds. Bring some competition in at as many positions as possible. As for Kupp, not sure why you think he would just compete with Boyd in the slot, he may be the best deep threat in this draft. I think he would be perfect opposite Green.

To be fair, Cleveland has been using the "Trade down and stockpile picks" strategy for years, and it doesn't really work.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 02:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: To be fair, Cleveland has been using the "Trade down and stockpile picks" strategy for years, and it doesn't really work.  

Thats not fair at all. You cant throw out the worst team as an example without comparing facts. In the last 4 drafts Cleveland has had alot of picks, (37) yet over the same 4 drafts NE also had (36) picks.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 04:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Thats not fair at all. You cant throw out the worst team as an example without comparing facts. In the last 4 drafts Cleveland has had alot of picks, (37) yet over the same 4 drafts NE also had (36) picks.

Of course, 26 of those Browns picks have come in the last two years.  

It's also very different draft position between the two teams.  The Pats are never in a position to draft one of the top shelf talents in the draft.  They are always drafting in that range where you have guys with those late 1st-early 2nd round grades.  Plus, teams' big boards get more spread out at that point, so there's a higher likelihood that the guy they would've taken will still fall to them.  It they move down a few spots, they can still get their guy, or a player of similar caliber.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 07:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Of course, 26 of those Browns picks have come in the last two years.  

It's also very different draft position between the two teams.  The Pats are never in a position to draft one of the top shelf talents in the draft.  They are always drafting in that range where you have guys with those late 1st-early 2nd round grades.  Plus, teams' big boards get more spread out at that point, so there's a higher likelihood that the guy they would've taken will still fall to them.  It they move down a few spots, they can still get their guy, or a player of similar caliber.

Not sure how anyone can argue against more picks? thats nuts. So we drop back a few spots in a deep draft for extra picks, not sure how this is a bad thing. For a team that does nothing in FA and prides itself on building through the draft you can never have too many picks. Its not like I want them to trade back out of the first. I just hope we get offers and Mike and Marvin or Duke keep it in mind. We need all the help we can get.
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt mind trading back. But there is definitely such a thing as too man picks.

There is no point using a bunch of picks in the 6th and 7th rounds on guys who wont make the team.

I have a hard time trying to make a 53 man roster with the projected 11 picks we will have making the team. Adding to the 11 is getting excessive.

Our team isnt that bad that a bunch of late round picks would come in and take jobs.

If anything trade back and get a quality extra early pick and then trade up with some of our late round picks and make sure we get the kicker we need. I doubt we are the only team who wants the best kicker in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 03:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wouldnt mind trading back. But there is definitely such a thing as too man picks.

There is no point using a bunch of picks in the 6th and 7th rounds on guys who wont make the team.

I have a hard time trying to make a 53 man roster with the projected 11 picks we will have making the team. Adding to the 11 is getting excessive.

Our team isnt that bad that a bunch of late round picks would come in and take jobs.

If anything trade back and get a quality extra early pick and then trade up with some of our late round picks and make sure we get the kicker we need. I doubt we are the only team who wants the best kicker in the draft.

I agree, there is no way that 11 picks are going to displace 11 members of the current roster, let alone adding any additional selections.  I'm not really fond of the draft games that encourage trading back for that very reason. 

Might be different if we had an entirely new regime taking over at GM, HC, and staff, and they wanted to blow up the old team and start fresh with players that fit exactly what they wanted to run.  As things stand, the roster is already full of players picked to fit into the Bengals system.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:15 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Not sure how anyone can argue against more picks? thats nuts. So we drop back a few spots in a deep draft for extra picks, not sure how this is a bad thing. For a team that does nothing in FA and prides itself on building through the draft you can never have too many picks. Its not like I want them to trade back out of the first. I just hope we get offers and Mike and Marvin or Duke keep it in mind. We need all the help we can get.

We have 11 picks already, and will likely get more when we trade McCarron.  Moving down 7 spots takes us out of position to snag a potential franchise cornerstone type of player.  More picks is nice, but would a team trade a Julio Jones, Ezekiel Elliott, Luke Keuchly, or Earl Thomas for Dre Kirkpatrick and Giovanni Bernard?  No.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:15 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Not sure how anyone can argue against more picks? thats nuts. So we drop back a few spots in a deep draft for extra picks, not sure how this is a bad thing. For a team that does nothing in FA and prides itself on building through the draft you can never have too many picks. Its not like I want them to trade back out of the first. I just hope we get offers and Mike and Marvin or Duke keep it in mind. We need all the help we can get.

I don't think anyone would argue against having more quality picks, but having a bunch in rounds 5-7 doesn't help this team out all the much.

Sure, give me 9 picks in the first 3 rounds and I'd be happy.  Give me 8 in rounds 4-7 and I'm thinking almost all of those guys get cut.
Reply/Quote