Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Burkhead?
(08-14-2016, 10:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There are 31 other NFL teams, and not a single one of them would trade for Rex Burkhead.

This is spot on.

But I think Rex would have reasonable success in NE. He fits that profile if a smaller, somewhat shifty guy with good hands outta the backfield.... Dion Lewis was on fire last year. The guy was a dud before that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 11:04 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Patriots? Late rounder?

Belichick does things other coaches don't do, but i don't see him trading for a 3rd string RB. He'd pick him up after being cut, but not trade for him. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 11:09 PM)jason Wrote: This is spot on.

But I think Rex would have reasonable success in NE. He fits that profile if a smaller, somewhat shifty guy with good hands outta the backfield.... Dion Lewis was on fire last year. The guy was a dud before that.

He'd get used more there than here...until he fumbled, then on to the next dude. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I can see possible value in trading Burkhead to a team like the Browns. Hue always like him, and the kid deserves a shot somewhere... he is just stuck behind two great RB's on the depth chart, and while I do like his contributions when he gets the chance, he rarely gets the chances to contribute.

I would be open to sending him off for a decent pick and giving the kid a chance elsewhere...

Rex is what he is - a versatile 3rd down type of back.  I highly doubt he would ever start anywhere else.

i would be very upset if they traded or cut him, he's great at what he does.
Reply/Quote
Can we pump the brakes on the hype we dish out every year for a bubble or PS guy that gashes a 4th string D?

Honestly Burkhead has way more in the tank than Peerman right now so why get rid of anyone that can be useful?

Our team is pretty deep.
At this point I do not understand peoples infatuation for trades involving our depth.

The team is good enough that it really does not need much at the moment and we still have 3 games to determine if those fixes are already on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Burkhead is the only running back on the team that played receiver for us in a playoff game. The guy is versatile as hell.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 08:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Burkhead is the only running back on the team that played receiver for us in a playoff game. The guy is versatile as hell.

Not if he is  rarely  used.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I can see possible value in trading Burkhead to a team like the Browns. Hue always like him, and the kid deserves a shot somewhere... he is just stuck behind two great RB's on the depth chart, and while I do like his contributions when he gets the chance, he rarely gets the chances to contribute.

I would be open to sending him off for a decent pick and giving the kid a chance elsewhere...

trading within the division is bad news...

they aren't gonna want to give us a good draft pick

We don't wanna give them a good player.

But I like burkhead for where he is.

need to see carson and B Hill light up on special teams if they want to stick around they probly have to knock off peerman.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: trading within the division is bad news...

they aren't gonna want to give us a good draft pick

We don't wanna give them a good player.

But I like burkhead for where he is.

need to see carson and B Hill light up on special teams if they want to stick around they probly have to knock off peerman.

Eh, everyone thought Hawk going to the Browns would hurt us and help them but that didn't happen either.

Burkhead is a good player, but he is way overvalued on here (imo)

He has 44 touches for 271 yards and 2TDs in 3 seasons. Decent, given his position on the depth chart.

Hue Jackson once touted Burkhead as one of the best players on the team, so I believe he would be open for a trade.

If it was possible to get a 5th round pick for him, I would do it... more chances to bolster up the D-line and LBs in next years draft.

Last year of his contract, gonna be a FA in 2017.... He is gone either way so might as well try to trade him.

(Since its the last year of his contract, trades are probably out of the question... Jackson will just wait to pick him up as a FA... unless we resign him... which seems farfetched.)
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 12:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: (Since its the last year of his contract, trades are probably out of the question... Jackson will just wait to pick him up as a FA... unless we resign him... which seems farfetched.)

This probably about puts an end to the notion of trading Burkhead... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 04:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I'm against it also I like Burkhead but not for the same  peerman he did a solid job Friday very comfortable with peerman as a backup

Peerman was way too hesitant Friday night.

I have always liked Peerman as a ST'er and he returned a Kick for TD one time in Preseason but hesitancy is a bad sign for a RB.

He will make the team though cause he is such a good ST'er.

As will Burkhead.
Reply/Quote
Peerman is an awesome special teamer.  But Burkhead is a good runner who gets a single down here or there - never enough to get a feel for his running.  Peerman got a lot of snaps Friday night - running the ball.  I'd like to see Burkhead get the same chance to get into a rhythm.   Every time he goes on the field everyone knows we're passing the ball - probably to him.  He needs significant reps running the ball to show us what he has and show our opponents he can run  - so they have to account for him doing something besides catching the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:47 PM)3wt Wrote: Peerman is an awesome special teamer.  But Burkhead is a good runner who gets a single down here or there - never enough to get a feel for his running.  Peerman got a lot of snaps Friday night - running the ball.  I'd like to see Burkhead get the same chance to get into a rhythm.   Every time he goes on the field everyone knows we're passing the ball - probably to him.  He needs significant reps running the ball to show us what he has and show our opponents he can run  - so they have to account for him doing something besides catching the ball.

Yeah, all true. Need to use his versatility.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, all true. Need to use his versatility.

Hue seemed to have special plays drawn up for him from time to time... Will Zampese do the same?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hue seemed to have special plays drawn up for him from time to time... Will Zampese do the same?

From what i saw in the Preseason game i think he will, but like 3wt says, need to run Burkhead as well.

Predictably unpredictable at times Hue was. When Burkhead went out there everyone knew it was going to be a pass.
Reply/Quote
Rex >>> Peerman for 3rd string rb, and he should stay put. And if something similar happens this year if Gio goes down and we need to hold onto the ball for the win, put in Rex instead of Hill. To me thats a no brainer going forward if that happens again.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I like Rex, but the guy has zero trade value. We might be lucky to trick someone into giving us a conditional 7th for him, but that's a big reach.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:25 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I like Rex, but the guy has zero trade value. We might be lucky to trick someone into giving us a conditional 7th for him, but that's a big reach.

The hopes was that he has some trade value with the Browns. That is the only possibility really. Imo their RB room is lacking, and Hue knows what he has with Burkhead.

I agree he is essentially untradeable, but his contract is up after this year and even a conditional 7th would be worth more to us than letting him walk freely.

This thread has essentially turned into the "No, Burkhead is invaluable depth" thread, so my question now is what kind of contract do you hand this guy next year? I'm not sure the Bengals will make an effort to keep him... then again he has high character and is good at special teams, lets keep him around for another 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The hopes was that he has some trade value with the Browns. That is the only possibility really. Imo their RB room is lacking, and Hue knows what he has with Burkhead.

I agree he is essentially untradeable, but his contract is up after this year and even a conditional 7th would be worth more to us than letting him walk freely.

This thread has essentially turned into the "No, Burkhead is invaluable depth" thread, so my question now is what kind of contract do you hand this guy next year? I'm not sure the Bengals will make an effort to keep him... then again he has high character and is good at special teams, lets keep him around for another 5 years.

Couldn't tell if this was serious or sarcastic, but either way, yeah, I'd be all for this idea, with the assumption that Burkhead is also realistic about his role and accepts a contract # that fits the overall team budget.  Maybe he becomes our next Ced Peerman down the road?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote:  if Gio goes down and we need to hold onto the ball for the win, put in Rex instead of Hill. To me thats a no brainer going forward if that happens again.

Last year Burkhead fumbled once every 14 touches while Hill fumbled once every 79 touches.

So, yeah, you would have to have no brains to use Burkhead in that situation.
Reply/Quote