Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Deadline Thread
This thread is dedicated to the MLB trade deadline. Please include comments about any trade including the Reds. Looks like the Angels are keeping Ohtani. I suspect the Reds will make a trade for starting pitching.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Some activity today. Things are heating up.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 08:23 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Some activity today. Things are heating up.

Such as?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reds showing interest in Eduardo Rodriguez of Detroit.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/eduardo-rodriguez-drawing-widespread-trade-interest.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Such as?

Watched on ESPN and there were some teams positioning for trades. You can google MLB trades today to find the articles.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The Brewers picked up Carlos Santana from the Pirates for a shortstop.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Santana shouldn't move the needle. I hope that's all that they add.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 08:56 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Reds showing interest in Eduardo Rodriguez of Detroit.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/eduardo-rodriguez-drawing-widespread-trade-interest.html

With Rodriguez having an opt-out next year, I wonder if he would choose to take it or want to stick with the Reds the next 1-3 years.
He's still set to get $15-$18 mill each year for the remainder of his contract, so it's not like he's playing on a super-cheap deal.
I think that opt-out clause will have a big impact in what prospects the Tigers would be able to get in return.
If there was a way for him to waive that opt-out or something, I'd like that potential trade (a lot) more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No moves yet from the Reds. Maybe they stand pat this year. Doubt it though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 08:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: No moves yet from the Reds. Maybe they stand pat this year. Doubt it though.

Oh they might end up taking some middle of the road 35 year old journeyman. But I highly doubt they go after any kind of upper tier younger pitcher.
Reply/Quote
I’m good with standing pat, or going after an “innings” guy.

1) We have a great core of young talent. Why break that up just as it’s starting to blossom?
2) We seem to have a core of good starting pitchers, but there are injury concerns in my mind. We nned to see what we have to close out the year, especially from Green and Lodolo.
3) We will have $$$ to work with next year. I’m good with evaluating what we have from this year, and developing a plan for next year to land a 1A starter for this staff.

If we make the playoffs, even better.
Mainly, I don’t want to hamstring us in the future for what would probably amount to a rental.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 09:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh they might end up taking some middle of the road 35 year old journeyman. But I highly doubt they go after any kind of upper tier younger pitcher.

I think that with India going to the IL with plantar fasciitis, that pretty much killed any ideas of making any substantial trade move.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I keep hearing Eduardo Rodriguez's name come up online about being a target.

The actual deadline isn't until tomorrow at 6 PM EDT, so they have over a day left.
However, with India on the IL, as others have said, that might impact the bargaining chips and ultimately no one (impactful) gets added.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 08:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: No moves yet from the Reds. Maybe they stand pat this year. Doubt it though.

If they add anyone, I suspect it will be a left handed reliever. It's kind of incredible how well our bullpen has done considering it's a bunch of right handers and one left hander with reverse splits (left handed hitters hit him slightly better than right handers, so he doesn't operate as your typical lefty out of the bullpen).
Reply/Quote
Looks like Ashcraft is indeed returning to form, as he's allowed only 7 earned runs across 6 starts since his 6-earned-run game against ATL on June 24.

Abbott continues to pitch well, and Greene was pitching well before his injury.

So that makes 3 reliable pitchers going into the later part of the season.

Williamson has been pitching well too, so he could stay as the 5th starter.
Lively is also doing well, starting 11 games this season and sporting a 3.76 ERA.

If the Reds don't make a trade for a SP by the deadline, would people be ok with a rotation of Greene, Ashcraft, Abbott, Lively, and Williamson?
And see where Lodolo fits in?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2023, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Looks like Ashcraft is indeed returning to form, as he's allowed only 7 earned runs across 6 starts since his 6-earned-run game against ATL on June 24.

Abbott continues to pitch well, and Greene was pitching well before his injury.

So that makes 3 reliable pitchers going into the later part of the season.

Williamson has been pitching well too, so he could stay as the 5th starter.
Lively is also doing well, starting 11 games this season and sporting a 3.76 ERA.

If the Reds don't make a trade for a SP by the deadline, would people be ok with a rotation of Greene, Ashcraft, Abbott, Lively, and Williamson?
And see where Lodolo fits in?

I've been suggesting that the Reds might decide to stay the course and ride it out until Greene gets back. Williamson has a 4.48 ERA. That's damn good for a fifth starter with half of his starts at GABP. Acquiring any starter better than him is going to cost too much in a seller's market and Lodolo is coming back later to probably push Williamson to the pen.

Lively has been the pleasant surprise. That's been a rare good signing from the scrap heap that the Reds have been known to dig through(Tim Adleman, Scott Feldman, Matt Harvey).
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Gotta add at least 1 and probably 2 (so they can go to a 6-man rotation to preserve all the young arms that haven't had to do an MLB season) starters if they're actually serious about trying to do anything in the postseason this year.

The guys don't need to be All-Stars, but they need to be reliably eat some innings while not letting things get out of hand so the bullpen isn't eaten up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2023, 11:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If they add anyone, I suspect it will be a left handed reliever. It's kind of incredible how well our bullpen has done considering it's a bunch of right handers and one left hander with reverse splits (left handed hitters hit him slightly better than right handers, so he doesn't operate as your typical lefty out of the bullpen).

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1686163363603062784?s=19

This is a good pick up. Finally a lefty in the bullpen with correct splits!

.197/.254/.303/.557 line against lefties in 66 ABs. 

His overall numbers aren't incredible but respectable, with a 4.54 ERA. It looks like the A's used him as more of a typical reliever, with more ABs against Righties than lefties. We'll use him in a much more specialized role, I reckon. LOOGYs don't exist anymore because of the 3 batter limit, but if a team has 2 lefties in the next 3, he would be a good reliever to come in and keep it close. 

He's under contract through 2027 and all we gave up was our 28th ranked prospect that I'd never heard of,  Joe Boyle.
Reply/Quote
The player the Reds gave up was Joe Boyle. Right handed starter projected to end up a reliever who was pitching at AA.
Reply/Quote
Reds also need a long relief guy. Not sure if that's an internal or external addition, but the Reds just used 4 guys in the bullpen to throw 3.2 innings, and the Cubs used 1 guy to throw 3.2 innings. That might show up big in game 3 or 4 of this series.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote