Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jadeveon Clowney
I know, I know..."too much money"....."He would never come here"....."the Bengals don't sign high-dollar FAs"

All may be true, but hear me out:

Which of these do you think would help the entire TEAM more:

FA Guard like THuney or Scherff
FA LB like Littleton
FA LT like Castanzo (maybe we put him at RT)

or a guy like Clowney? The numbers aren't as insane as you might think: If he is projected to get close to $20 million per year (and FWIW, I think if it hit that number with incentives, it would be worth it, but a base deal around 17.5 per year) that is only about $5.5 million per year over the other positions I mentioned. Littleton won't get that much, but you get what I am saying.

I think all of us would part with Dre and go with Phillips and maybe sign Kendall Fuller for depth.

How many times have we said how awesome it would be to get both Chase Young AND Joe Burrow? Well, here ya go...

One thing is for sure, it would get a lot more interesting in Cincinnati overnight.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is a great idea and similar to what the very bad Packers did to start their turn around when they "overpaid" to sign Reggie White.

Truly an excellent idea in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
So get this out the way first, he has already proclaimed he is only going to a contender. Next up, his production honestly isn't even that good. I can make a strong argument that Carlos Dunlap has been better than Clowney since he entered the league. He is a big name but he doesn't give big production.
Reply/Quote
Clowney hasn't had a double digit sack season yet.

I'd prefer to roll with Everson Griffen (if it's only for a couple of years), if for several years and high dollars, I think Yannick Ngakoue would be the best answer there, he's young and averages 9.5 sacks per year. He's been in the league 4 years now, and has more sacks than Clowney who's been in the league 2 more years than Yannick.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 03:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: So get this out the way first, he has already proclaimed he is only going to a contender. Next up, his production honestly isn't even that good. I can make a strong argument that Carlos Dunlap has been better than Clowney since he entered the league. He is a big name but he doesn't give big production.

Just because he didn't get a ton of sacks doesn't mean he didn't have a lot of production. Can you imagine them in rotation?  

Yes, it is a name, and it would sell tickets but does anyone really think Chase Young will be better as a rookie than Clowney right now?  Again, for an incremental $5.5 million over a tackle like Scherff or Thuney?

Would you rather have one of those guys?  

And I didn't hear that he would only go to a contender, but heard something to the effect of that he would love to go back to Seattle, but will play wherever he is signed.  
Reply/Quote
See below for one of many articles about him wanting to go to a contender.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28474037/pending-unrestricted-free-agent-jadeveon-clowney-wants-play-contender%3fplatform=amp

He really didn’t have a lot of production because his greatest asset is his play against the run and most analytics people will tell you that has far less value than pass rushing. I also understand sacks aren’t the end all however his pressure rate hasn’t really been all that impressive either compared to his assumed cost on the open market.

Do I think young will be better as a rookie? Yes in terms of pass rush I do. I think Young as a run defender can use a little work.

The better way to look at this is, is the gap between Clowney and Hubbard greater than the linemen you named and our current starters? My answer there would be no making it a luxury move and not something we should be doing at this point. That being said Scherif is getting tagged and I know we won’t pay a guard 15 million. Either way that money could be used to upgrade corner and LB both places we need more help at.
Reply/Quote
Would love this signing, but think it probably won’t happen. Money is likely too much. I thought i heard Seattle wanted to re-sign him. As someone else pointed out, he’s probably looking to sign with a contender, and with our perception out there that could be a hard sell.

Lb Joe S from Cleveland is a more realistic top tier signing; a big top tier signing is wishful thinking around here, but our cap space this year could allow for it.. Im not counting on a top tier signing. We usually grab 2 or 3 mid tier guys instead of a top tier player. Kinda what I expect as they have to re-sign some players as well. But you never know. Id definitely try to make it work for a Lb like Joe S if I were in charge.

In reality, clowney would solidify our pass rush, but we would still be left with a weakness at linebacker, and the draft is a tough place to solve that. Joe S is likely cheaper, and he actually has some familiarity with the players here. We could draft a good edge rusher in round 2 or 3 and add to our rotation that way.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 12:20 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This is a great idea and similar to what the very bad Packers did to start their turn around when they "overpaid" to sign Reggie White.

Truly an excellent idea in my opinion.

Ok to setup my comments:

I live in Houston.  I've heard far more Clowney talk than likely anyone here, so let me put some things in perspective.

#1 - He has been often injured.
#2 - He had one good year in Houston, otherwise he was mediocre to good, but never 1st pick good.
#3 - He is a money driven primadona.  He was playing lights out in Seattle, because he was playing for his last contract.  Give him money and he's going to sit on his ass every chance he gets.
#4 - He got traded for nothing because he got on O'Brian's bad side.  This is more a condemnation of O'Brian than Clowney.  O'Brian is the white Marvin Lewis, except Houston has given O'Brian 100% control of the organization, which thankfully the Bengals never did with Marvin.

So no thanks from me on Clowney, because he's never lived up to his potential and once he gets paid he's done.
Reply/Quote