Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trade Idea involving Jets
Just came across this article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Darron-Lee-trade-New-York-Jets-131001329/

I'm not sure if it has been posted here, but this is an intriguing option. Lee has underwhelmed in his time as a Jet, but I think he is starting to show why he was a first round pick with his play of late.

Here is his combine numbers:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/darron-lee?id=2555322

His strengths are his speed and coverage, his weaknesses were his strength and tackling. He has added strength being a part of an NFL strength and conditioning program and he has also shown he can hold up to the NFL rigors.

I think he would be an outstanding addition and would allow the draft to be wide-open. The Bengals would be well-served to add him AND draft a LB like White or Bush, but wouldn't be pigeon-holed to do so if another intriguing possibility presents itself.

What about this crazy scenario: The Bengals trade AJ Green to the Jets for Derron Lee and swap first round picks...and draft Dwayne Haskins. I have been one that has been saying NOT to get a QB, but that is one intriguing idea and it would give the Bengals all kinds of cap space after allowing Dalton's contract to run out and command big money elsewhere (and net them a 3rd round compensatory pick).

What do you think?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I posted a link to an article about the Jets looking to trade their LB Derron Lee under "Free Agency", but wasn't sure how many of you would see it there and I wanted to float an idea:

Trade AJ Green to the Jets and swap first round picks. The Jets get the WR they need and they already have their QB. The Bengals get a LB that opens up the draft to them and they select Dwayne Haskins at #3 overall.

Not having to sign AJ and Dalton to their next huge contracts opens up the Bengals to have all kinds of financial flexibility to use with a low dollar amount on the QB position for five years (Dalton is only being paid $17 million per and I think that was an average....his cap hit could be less).

I looked at this deal and thought that the Bengals might not be getting enough for Green, but then realized that avoiding his next contract as well as Dalton's would be the real benefit here. Aside from Brady (who always takes less to improve those around him) the most competitive teams of late have almost always been a QB in the rookie contract. Look at Seattle's team before and after Wilson's 2nd contract.

I know everyone here loves AJ, but I honestly believe this deal would make our team better and...it would sell tickets.

What say you?
Reply/Quote
Just no. We are not trading AJ Green. Him and Boyd are the only receivers we have.
Reply/Quote
Hell no. This team sucks without AJ.

Reply/Quote
Interesting offer. I’d hate to see Green go and I just think we would have to get more back from the Jets. They want to get rid of Lee anyway. That said, if this team was committed to a rebuild, they would have to trade Green and his value now would be a lot more than it is next year due to his age.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 07:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  Aside from Brady (who always takes less to improve those around him) the most competitive teams of late have almost always been a QB in the rookie contract. 

Wrong.

Brady makes almost exactly what Dalton does, and playoff QBs last year include Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, and Russell Wilson.  Recent Super Bowl QBs include Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, and  Peyton Manning.
Reply/Quote
Re: your crazy scenario, I don't make the trade if the plan is to draft a QB. With Dalton having 2 years left, I'm ok letting him play out his contract. I want to spend this draft strengthening positions around the QB, then draft a QB in 2020 to learn during Dalton's last year.

I understand the huge advantages of having the salary cap with Dalton and an aging AJ Green gone and the QB on the rookie deal, but for a team that doesn't spend on outside free agents and doesn't have many veterans looking for huge 2nd contracts right now outside of Boyd & Jackson (am I missing anyone?), I'm not sure how successful the strategy would be for us.

The trade value chart I saw has the drop from #3 to #11 worth the 17th pick. Now if the scenario was Green for the 17th pick and Darron Lee, I would absolutely make that trade. Heck, I'd also make the original trade and would try like crazy to trade back to someone wanting to jump Oakland for a QB or just draft the stud D lineman.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 08:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell no. This team sucks without AJ.

I agree the team does suck without AJ, but do we really think the team is going to realistically compete for an AFC Championship in the next 1-2 years? If the team doesn't think so, then it doesn't really make sense to hold onto and extend AJ.

And for the record, I wouldn't do this trade. I don't think any QB in this draft class is worth trading up for, plus we keep hearing NFL teams aren't as interested in Haskins as the media has been. If I were to trade AJ green, it'd be for a first rounder straight up, not a first rounder swap. Bengals will need an extra pick to (try to) help compensate for losing their best offensive player.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I've been a fan of Darron Lee since his high school days. I believe he camped at OSU 3-4 times in order to earn an offer, and Luke Fickell had to campaign hard to get Urban Meyer to make the offer. The 'try hard' in him made him a favorite of the OSU message boards. (Side note- Terry McLaurin has a similar story and would be a guy I'd want the Bengals to get if WR becomes a need.)

I think I'd offer a 5th rounder for Darron Lee. Lee was very young when he came into the league and struggled early in his career, but as you said improved last year. If he has a great year, you resign him or let him walk for the compensatory pick. If he doesn't, you're only out of a 5th.
Reply/Quote
I posted this in your other thread:

Re: your crazy scenario, I don't make the trade if the plan is to draft a QB. With Dalton having 2 years left, I'm ok letting him play out his contract. I want to spend this draft strengthening positions around the QB, then draft a QB in 2020 to learn during Dalton's last year.

I understand the huge advantages of having the salary cap with Dalton and an aging AJ Green gone and the QB on the rookie deal, but for a team that doesn't spend on outside free agents and doesn't have many veterans looking for huge 2nd contracts right now outside of Boyd & Jackson (am I missing anyone?), I'm not sure how successful the strategy would be for us.

The trade value chart I saw has the drop from #3 to #11 worth the 17th pick. Now if the scenario was Green for the 17th pick and Darron Lee, I would absolutely make that trade. Heck, I'd also make the original trade and would try like crazy to trade back to someone wanting to jump Oakland for a QB or just draft the stud D lineman.
Reply/Quote
Nobody taking bets that AJ would rather retire than get traded to the Jets? 
Actually I'm not sure. He has said that he wants to retire as a Bengal if I'm not mistaken. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 09:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.

Brady makes almost exactly what Dalton does, and playoff QBs last year include Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, and Russell Wilson.  Recent Super Bowl QBs include Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, and  Peyton Manning.

Really?  They also include (playoff teams) a rookie contract Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Mitch Trubisky, DeShawn Watson, Carson Wentz, Marcus Mariota, Patrick Mahommes, and Jared Goff.  Nice job cherry-picking, though.  Nice to know some things never change.  
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree the team does suck without AJ, but do we really think the team is going to realistically compete for an AFC Championship in the next 1-2 years? If the team doesn't think so, then it doesn't really make sense to hold onto and extend AJ.

And for the record, I wouldn't do this trade. I don't think any QB in this draft class is worth trading up for, plus we keep hearing NFL teams aren't as interested in Haskins as the media has been. If I were to trade AJ green, it'd be for a first rounder straight up, not a first rounder swap. Bengals will need an extra pick to (try to) help compensate for losing their best offensive player.

Although I disagree about Haskins being a media-generated hype...the kid was amazing although he only played one year.  Here he could sit for two years if needed and learn the game.  Look at who else sat:  Brady, Rodgers,  and Brees.  

Maybe also get the Jet's 2nd rounder?  I think everyone is looking too much at what they see in AJ vs. what the team will not be able to afford if Dalton and Green reach new contracts.  
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree the team does suck without AJ, but do we really think the team is going to realistically compete for an AFC Championship in the next 1-2 years? If the team doesn't think so, then it doesn't really make sense to hold onto and extend AJ.

Personally I think they can compete if they can find a starting LB and RT in the draft.
Agreed on AJ though I would be willing to trade him but not in a swap situation only for an actual pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
not sure what it will take to get him but I'm with it to try.... any idea the cost of moving him.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 10:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Really?  They also include (playoff teams) a rookie contract Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Mitch Trubisky, DeShawn Watson, Carson Wentz, Marcus Mariota, Patrick Mahommes, and Jared Goff.  Nice job cherry-picking, though.  Nice to know some things never change.  

That's a fair counterpoint, however: Lamar Jackson was on a team that at the time still had Flacco on the roster, and thus his bloated contract. So that specific example of a team winning with a young QB because they're using less cap-space at the QB position is invalid.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 10:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I disagree about Haskins being a media-generated hype...the kid was amazing although he only played one year.  Here he could sit for two years if needed and learn the game.  Look at who else sat:  Brady, Rodgers,  and Brees.  

Maybe also get the Jet's 2nd rounder?  I think everyone is looking too much at what they see in AJ vs. what the team will not be able to afford if Dalton and Green reach new contracts.  

You kind of nailed my concern with Haskins, he only played one year. The odds of a large 2nd contract go down significantly with only one year of college experience. What also scares me is that there was a 4-5 game span in the middle of the season where he was not a very good QB. He still had the NFL arm strength, but he played very tentatively, danced in the pocket, and look like he was more concerned about not getting injured than playing for the team. It wasn't until the Maryland game that he started playing to win and put his body on the line.

The Jets only have 6 picks this year and no 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
They’d probably take a 6th round comp for lee as they might just cut him. I’d be more interested in trading up for their 3rd or 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 10:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I disagree about Haskins being a media-generated hype...the kid was amazing although he only played one year.  Here he could sit for two years if needed and learn the game.  Look at who else sat:  Brady, Rodgers,  and Brees.  

Tim Tebow was amazing in Urban Meyer's system too.....Jones, Barrett, Miller......color me skeptical on Haskins.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Please no.

Reply/Quote