Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade No. 1 if.....
I don't know why we are still seeing these kinds of threads. We are NOT going to trade out of the No:1 pick, there is NO chance of it happening as there is no team who can give us anything worth what Burrow will give the Organisation.
He will sell season tickets, His Jersey's will fly out the door and he will give fans hope. Even Mike Brown isn't stupid enough to throw that away.
Reply/Quote
I doubt we will trade away the #1 pick, but it is not impossible. It all depends on if they are really impressed by another QB in this draft.

It took Burrow 5 years to become a good college QB. If it takes him that long in the NFL he will be on his second contract possibly with another team.
Reply/Quote
Am I having a serious case of Deja Vu....?
Reply/Quote
Virgin post..woohoo!

For those who want to consider a trade and minimize the downside risk of missing out on the elite prospects, why not pick Burrow #1, THEN consider trades with teams that are on the clock?

For example, if you are good with Tua as your QB of the future, pick Burrow #1 and see if Tua falls to #5..then talk to Miami while they are on the clock. Worst case scenario, no trade occurs, and we are "stuck" with Burrow. Maybe they will offer us a little less in compensation since we are initiated the trade, but isn't that worth mitigating the risk of losing out on both?

This way we don't have to worry about someone jumping ahead of us and losing out on our top options.
Reply/Quote
My point was intended to be:

Draft Burrow and do the rest of the stuff needed in free agency to give him the best supporting cast possible next year- namely an above average o line and some LBs that aren't in the bottom quarter of NFL LBs.

If they are not going to do the obvious - and still refuse to sign high quality free agents- not has beens or second and third tier guys- then at some point take the King's ransom.

Any other franchise would take Burrow and sign two top free agents
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Trade No. 1 = NO
Reply/Quote
Trade No. 1 if.....a 22 year old Peyton Manning comes through a time machine wanting to play for the Bengals?

Seriously though, no amount of picks is worth giving up Burrow. You rarely get an opportunity to take the top QB in the draft. You almost never get the opportunity to take a QB of Burrow's caliber. If we pass up picks and Burrow flops, we'll remember it, but it won't eat at us nearly as much as if we passed on Burrow and he became the face of the league.

Think about that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:00 PM)bengals67 Wrote: My point was intended to be:

Draft Burrow and do the rest of the stuff needed in free agency to give him the best supporting cast possible next year- namely an above average o line and some LBs that aren't in the bottom quarter of NFL LBs.

If they are not going to do the obvious - and still refuse to sign high quality free agents- not has beens or second and third tier guys- then at some point take the King's ransom.

If this team passes on Burrow just because they don't want to use free agency, I'll be done with them anyway.

Fwiw, I doubt the Bengals go "all out" in free agency this year, but I'm actually thinking we'll be fairly active for once, based on (1) 2-14, (2) miserable attendance, (3) Burrow and (4) after moving on from players like Dalton and Glenn, we will have a hefty chunk of change.

Last time we were coming off a 2-14 season, we had perhaps the most active off-season of the Mike Brown era. We signed Kevin Hardy, John Thornton, Reggie Kelly, Duane Clemons, Tory James, etc to go along with our new franchise QB.

So yes, I expect to see some activity this off-season. No need to overthink this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If this team passes on Burrow just because they don't want to use free agency, I'll be done with them anyway.

Fwiw, I doubt the Bengals go "all out" in free agency this year, but I'm actually thinking we'll be fairly active for once, based on (1) 2-14, (2) miserable attendance, (3) Burrow and (4) after moving on from players like Dalton and Glenn, we will have a hefty chunk of change.

Last time we were coming off a 2-14 season, we had perhaps the most active off-season of the Mike Brown era. We signed Kevin Hardy, John Thornton, Reggie Kelly, Duane Clemons, Tory James, etc to go along with our new franchise QB.

So yes, I expect to see some activity this off-season. No need to overthink this.

I agree

MB is a lot of things for sure. But I don't think he's stupid. I'm quite sure he's noticed the half empty stadium and knows he has to act.
Reply/Quote
Please do not trade Burrow.

Lates mock has Miami getting Tua (QB) at 5, Mecki Becton OL at 16 and Kenneth Murray LB at 26.
I would much rather have Joe Burrow and sign a Free agent LB and lineman.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:00 PM)bengals67 Wrote: My point was intended to be:

I would disagree if a organization did not see that much difference between top 2/3 QBs.. and someone offered them multiple 1s etc.. they would laos consider it.. we have precedent in the past of teams passing on their #1 for multiple picks.. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:57 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Please do not trade Burrow.

Lates mock has Miami getting Tua (QB) at 5, Mecki Becton OL at 16 and Kenneth Murray LB at 26.

I think we are forgetting trading has zero to do with FA.. you could trade and still sign a LB and lineman.. hmmmmmmm
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 10:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think we are forgetting trading has zero to do with FA.. you could trade and still sign a LB and lineman.. hmmmmmmm

WhoDey2 I don't know why you think its smart to trade pick #1 (Burrow). You are in a severe minority. Did you not watch the Peach Bowl (LSU v Oklahoma) and/or the NCAA National Championship game (LSU v Clemson)?? 

Those 2 games alone were enough to show anyone that trading away Burrow isn't smart in the least...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 01:57 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I don't know why you think its smart to trade pick #1 (Burrow). You are in a severe minority. Did you not watch the Peach Bowl (LSU v Oklahoma) and/or the NCAA National Championship game (LSU v Clemson)?? 

Those 2 games alone were enough to show anyone that trading away Burrow isn't smart in the least...

i never said i would trade him but yes i would look at offers.. I have seen teams down this road before especially with QBs.. there have been other can't miss QBs that missed and some badly... I have mentioned before I like Carr alot.. and feel he has established himself well.. had his best season in terms of stats this year.. if Oakland came calling with Carr.. their two #1s with some other draft picks.. I would consider it but I think they need to work Burrow out and make that determination... if we do draft him and he has been labeled as can't miss Franchise QB.. I will expect results out of the gate just as Luck and Newton did with 2-14 teams.. at the least Dalton numbers and a winning record.. if not I will already start to question the pick especially if we passed on improving our team with another QB and multiple picks 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Am I having a serious case of Deja Vu....?

Nope, shouldn't even be close.

JB is in a league of his own compared to Akili.
Reply/Quote
The problem with trading the pick is the only other guy that I would really be on board with is Tua, and I just can't bring myself to take him with a top 5 pick. His injury history is troubling and I just can't get over the fact that he has played some of his worst games against the best teams.

I can't get on Herbert either. I watched almost every one of his games the last couple years as he was supposed to be the next big QB (other than Tua) and he consisitnely disappointed me in both big games and some of his lesser games.

I just don't see how you could pass on Burrow if you are trying to win.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 07:15 PM)jabor Wrote: Virgin post..woohoo!

For those who want to consider a trade and minimize the downside risk of missing out on the elite prospects, why not pick Burrow #1, THEN consider trades with teams that are on the clock?  

For example, if you are good with Tua as your QB of the future, pick Burrow #1 and see if Tua falls to #5..then talk to Miami while they are on the clock.  Worst case scenario, no trade occurs, and we are "stuck" with Burrow.  Maybe they will offer us a little less in compensation since we are initiated the trade, but isn't that worth mitigating the risk of losing out on both?  

This way we don't have to worry about someone jumping ahead of us and losing out on our top options.

So draft burrow, then trade him to Miami for tua and picks? Or something along those lines?

It brings up an interesting question, could you trade a player you just drafted? I mean, he hasn't signed anything yet, so I don't see how.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:57 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Please do not trade Burrow.

I'd rather have burrow and trade into the tail end of the first if it looks like we can get a decent player like Murray. To move up six spots, that's like our second and fourth?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 01:57 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I don't know why you think its smart to trade pick #1 (Burrow). You are in a severe minority. Did you not watch the Peach Bowl (LSU v Oklahoma) and/or the NCAA National Championship game (LSU v Clemson)?? 

Completely agree, all Burrow's games against the top teams were extremely impressive.

The best QB's play best against the best competition and are clutch. Burrow does this, Dalton and Tua do not.

Tua is hurt and when healthy I wouldn't take him over Burrow.

This is the only QB in the Draft in Burrow's solar system and he seems injury prone.

(01-27-2020, 08:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The problem with trading the pick is the only other guy that I would really be on board with is Tua, and  I just can't bring myself to take him with a top 5 pick.  His injury history is troubling and I just can't get over the fact that he has played some of his worst games against the best teams.

I can't get on Herbert either.  I watched almost every one of his games the last couple years as he was supposed to be the next big QB (other than Tua) and he consisitnely disappointed me in both big games and some of his lesser games.

I just don't see how you could pass on Burrow if you are trying to win.

Feel the same, great post. The people talking about trading the Burrow pick don't seem to have a plan after that.

Who would be the QB if we traded out of the Burrow pick? A hurt Tua, Herbert, Dalton?

All of which play their worst against the best competition? No thanks.
Reply/Quote