Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moustakas to the Reds?
(12-03-2019, 12:10 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Pros:

1. Shows the Reds are going to be aggressive in winning the NL Central division.

2. Adds power to our line up from the left side, which we don't really have unless Votto makes a comeback (Winker is good, but known more for his OBP than power).

3. He has experience on winning teams and is a good locker room presence.

4. Weakens the Brewers

Cons:

1. He is below average at reaching base. This was our biggest issue last season and this signing doesn't help that.

2. He is an average (at best) 2nd baseman who honestly belongs at 3B, due to his arm strength.

3. We probably overpaid for him, since he is 31 and will be 35 at the end of his contract. I doubt he'll be able to play 2nd base all 4 years.

A bit of a mixed bag for our most expensive free agent signing ever. I am excited by the pros and concerned about the cons, but I think it's overall a good decision. We'll see what other moves they make this off season in pursuit of that NL Central crown!

You’re right on with your post. They will have the option of trading him to the AL after his fielding severely declines, as long as his bat holds up. Teams like adding a productive, veteran that is a clubhouse leader.
Reply/Quote
Good signing, IMO. Maybe a bit higher than what I was expecting them to pay for him (I figured 12 mil per). Either way, it shows some effort and a desire to contend in 2020.

Considering that this deal is likely not the end of their free agent activity, I like it. It also frees up Johnathan India to be traded, seeing that he's blocked in the Reds infield for the foreseeable future. I wonder what a package of Winker/India would fetch in terms of a good CF?
Reply/Quote
Glad Moose is now a Red. The Reds have the pitching and hitting to make the playoffs this year. The question is what will other teams do to improve too. I will definitely go to GABP to see some games this year. I think that was one of the objectives.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote