Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade candidates thread 2024 offseason!
(03-23-2024, 03:35 PM)J24 Wrote: I would rather keep Tee then trade for Jefferson. 2 Wrs getting 30 + Million would be hard to justify!

Let me just say that I agree with you. Zac put receivers at the top of the market when they went to the SB. If there ever were a coach that can justify having. 2 30 million receivers on the same team and win it all it’s probably Zacs offense.

That’s just my 2 cents, and I’m not on that train either. I’d rather make a top 5 O line and D line.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 02:05 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: They would tell you kick rocks.

Would they? They still don't have a QB worth a shit.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Would they? They still don't have a QB worth a shit.

Jake browning… lol he played above expectations last year. But no one seriously considers him anything more than a backup. If the league thought differently, the bengals would be open to trading him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:23 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Jake browning… lol he played above expectations last year.  But no one seriously considers him anything more than a backup. If the league thought differently, the bengals would be open to trading him.

It is nice that he proved to be one of the best backup QB's last year though in a backup QB season.

I would prefer to keep him unless someone offered us something pretty good. Been forever since we had a good backup QB.

I hope we only we see Browning though after Burrow has been lighting team's up and we are resting Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:23 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Jake browning… lol he played above expectations last year.  But no one seriously considers him anything more than a backup. If the league thought differently, the bengals would be open to trading him.

(03-25-2024, 01:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is nice that he proved to be one of the best backup QB's last year though in a backup QB season.

I would prefer to keep him unless someone offered us something pretty good. Been forever since we had a good backup QB.

I hope we only we see Browning though after Burrow has been lighting team's up and we are resting Burrow.

You probably will only get a 6th or 7th(maybe a swap of a 6th for a 5th at best). So in that case I agree with you keep Jake.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 03:11 PM)J24 Wrote: You probably will only get a 6th or 7th(maybe a swap of a 6th for a 5th at best). So in that case I agree with you keep Jake.

Yeah, no way you trade Jake for that crap.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, no way you trade Jake for that crap.

Correct, he is worth having as our backup going into next year. But he isn’t more than what he is, a higher end backup qb.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Correct, he is worth having as our backup going into next year.  But he isn’t more than what he is, a higher end backup qb.

Jake Browning started 7 games last year. In those 7 games he faced the Browns defense, the Ravens defense, and the Steelers defense twice, along with Jax, Indy, KC, Minn.
He went 171 for 243 attempts. 1936 yds., 12 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. and a 98.4 QB rating. If you people don't think those are starting QB numbers, then I don't know what to tell you. There's about half the league that would love to have a QB with that kind of output against some of the toughest defenses in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jake Browning started 7 games last year. In those 7 games he faced the Browns defense, the Ravens defense, and the Steelers defense twice, along with Jax, Indy, KC, Minn.
He went 171 for 243 attempts. 1936 yds., 12 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. and a 98.4 QB rating. If you people don't think those are starting QB numbers, then I don't know what to tell you. There's about half the league that would love to have a QB with that kind of output against some of the toughest defenses in the league.

he definitely proved he can play in this league.  we see worse QBs start almost every week
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 01:11 AM)J24 Wrote: Harrison Phillips NT Minnesota age 28
Cap 6 million
Trade compensation- late Rd pick

Jarran Reed NT Seattle age 31
Cap 5 million
Trade Compensation 5th Rd pick

Jeran Reed may be the guy.  I've been glancing through and there aren't a lot of teams that match the NT depth to go with being pressed up vs the cap and desperate to free up space.  Seattle is 4 deep at NT, 5 Mil over the Cap it looks like and Reed makes just short of 5M.  He is their starter that played 68% of snaps, but they could go with their youth. 

The Bengals have had a patern of shoring up weaknesses so that they aren't bare going into the draft.  They also brought in the only descent NT leftover (Tart) knowing the character background and didn't sign him.  There is no way they look at this draft class and see a high probability of NT being a BPA in any round, they'd have to deal down to have Sweat be a BPA and still possibly lose him.  So, we know NT and CB for instance should be where they go with remaining money before the draft.  Reed for a 5th is a fair deal and would really free up the draft.  The only reason you pass on that is if you're serious about moving BJ over (plus 10lbs muscle?), I don't like the idea but they may do it. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jake Browning started 7 games last year. In those 7 games he faced the Browns defense, the Ravens defense, and the Steelers defense twice, along with Jax, Indy, KC, Minn.

Sled, I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

Browns - all backups.
Steelers - 2 games, Bengals scored 21 points in 8 quarters. Browning had 2 TDs and 4 picks.
Ravens - not going to grade him on that game, he was coming off the bench.

Colts, jags and Viking were all pretty average to bad against the pass last year.

Jake browning wins came against non playoff teams (browns not withstanding). I will admit that some of those teams were vying for playoff contention, but if you look back at the league last year, there were some average to mediocre teams on the bubble and in the playoffs (bengals included).

Look, Jake browning is a good backup QB. But there is zero chance that anyone is seriously considering giving up assets and hooking their wagon to Jake browning long term.

Geno smith did it two years ago along with Daniel jones. Both could be looking for QBs sooner than later. I fully expect baker mayfield to have a regression to the mean as well.

Jake browning had a nice story in 2023, and I’m glad he is our backup if burrow misses a game or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 09:41 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Sled, I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

Browns - all backups.
Steelers - 2 games, Bengals scored 21 points in 8 quarters. Browning had 2 TDs and 4 picks.
Ravens - not going to grade him on that game, he was coming off the bench.

Colts, jags and Viking were all pretty average to bad against the pass last year.  

Jake browning wins came against non playoff teams (browns not withstanding).  I will admit that some of those teams were vying for playoff contention,  but if you look back at the league last year, there were some average to mediocre teams on the bubble and in the playoffs (bengals included).  

Look, Jake browning is a good backup QB.  But there is zero chance that anyone is seriously considering giving up assets and hooking their wagon to Jake browning long term.

Geno smith did it two years ago along with Daniel jones.  Both could be looking for QBs sooner than later.  I fully expect baker mayfield to have a regression to the mean as well.  

Jake browning had a nice story in 2023, and I’m glad he is our backup if burrow misses a game or two.

I am too, I just think he's accomplishments are being downplayed. He could start for a lot of teams in this league. Remember, his numbers last year are counted from what were basically his very first plays in the league. He would do nothing but improve as the #1 taking the reps and getting the game experience. Would I take him over Burrow, no way. Would I take him over some other starters in the league, in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I am too, I just think he's accomplishments are being downplayed. He could start for a lot of teams in this league. Remember, his numbers last year are counted from what were basically his very first plays in the league. He would do nothing but improve as the #1 taking the reps and getting the game experience. Would I take him over Burrow, no way. Would I take him over some other starters in the league, in a heartbeat.

You can’t just assume that he will improve. There is now tape on him, etc.

Look at guys like Daniel jones and Geno smith from 2 years ago….

I’d put Jake browning in a similar category as Gardner minshew. Is he maybe one of the top 32 QBs… sure. But no one is going to get excited about him. In fact browning is almost exactly what you don’t want in a qb. Good enough to win games, but bot good enough for sustained playoff success. Perpetually drafting in 10-16 range.
Reply/Quote
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-quarterbacks-2023-nfl-season

Jake ranked at 16 last year.

Quote:Highest-graded quarterbacks from the 2023 NFL season: Josh Allen leads the way

By Mason Cameron
Posted Feb 20, 2024 9:24 am EST

• Josh Allen stands atop the position: The Bills signal caller beat out 2023 league MVP Lamar Jackson as the highest-graded quarterback in the NFL.

The 2023 NFL season was marked by phenomenal success at every level of the game, and the quarterback position produced plenty of stars, as is always the case.

These are the top 20 quarterbacks of the 2023 season by PFF grade.

1. JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS: 92.1
While Allen may have missed out on the league MVP, he captured the top spot on this list after orchestrating the highest-graded season of his career. The signal-caller showed elite dual-threat ability, finishing as the only quarterback to surpass an 88.0-plus grade as both a passer (88.5) and runner (91.4).

2. PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: 90.5
While Mahomes had a productive regular season (85.1 PFF grade), it was his incredible performance in the playoffs that propelled him up this list. The MVP of Super Bowl 58 produced a phenomenal 91.7 offensive grade in the postseason, due largely to his ability to avoid mistakes, making just a single turnover-worthy play. Mahomes earned a negative grade on just 10% of his dropbacks this season, the lowest rate in the NFL.

3. LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS: 90.4
The winner of the 2023 NFL MVP award — his second — Jackson was a dynamic weapon that opposing defenses largely struggled to contain. His 90.4 PFF grade this season surpassed even that of his 2019 MVP campaign (90.1). Outside of the pocket, Jackson was incredible, as expected, where he earned a 91.4 grade, ranking in the 92nd percentile at the position.

4. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS: 90.0
Prescott has earned his place among the league’s elite arm talents, producing the best passing grade (87.0) of his career in 2023. The Cowboys quarterback finished as one of just two passers to earn a 90.0-plus passing grade in four or more games, including his impressive 95.3 output in Week 12, the highest of the 2023 season.

Click here to view PFF's latest mock draft!
5. MATTHEW STAFFORD, LOS ANGELES RAMS: 88.2
In his 15th season, Stafford continued to raise the bar of his play. His 86.0 passing grade this past year was the highest of his career, due in large part to his incredible play on late downs. When facing third or fourth down, the Rams signal-caller produced a 90.4 PFF grade, the second-highest mark at the position.

6. BROCK PURDY, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 87.4
After his first full season as a starter, Purdy has already put himself among the league’s best quarterbacks. The young passer is particularly suited for Kyle Shanahan’s system, having excelled on run action, where he earned a 94.0 grade (86th percentile). Additionally, he excelled when unpressured, having earned the fifth-highest PFF grade (92.7) from a clean pocket.

7. TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS: 86.9
Despite criticisms of his arm strength in the past, Tagovailoa has continued to show marked improvement every year of his career, culminating in his league-leading passing grade (88.6) in 2023. The Dolphins passer managed to produce a positively graded throw on 28.8% of his dropbacks, placing him in the 95th percentile.

8. JALEN HURTS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: 86.7
Hurts had another fantastic season, despite perceived struggles within the offense. He was outstanding on late downs, earning the third-highest PFF grade (88.4) among quarterbacks on third and fourth downs, highlighted by an incredible 90.7 rushing grade.

9. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS: 86.1
Despite going down in Week 8 with an injury, Cousins was off to one of the best starts to a season of his career. His 85.1 passing grade through Week 8 was the fifth-highest mark in the league, and he also threw 18 touchdowns — tied for most in the NFL at the time.

10. JARED GOFF, DETROIT LIONS: 85.7
Goff’s incredible run this season amounted to the highest-graded performance of his career. The Lions passer set career marks in turnover-worthy play rate (2.4%), helping to limit his overall rate of negatively graded throws to just 12.2% — an 81st-percentile figure among quarterbacks.

11. JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: 85.5
Herbert dealt with significant adversity in 2023 yet still managed to produce at a high level. The Chargers signal caller was incredible against pressure, producing a 90th-percentile 72.9 PFF grade.

12. JORDAN LOVE, GREEN BAY PACKERS: 83.6
Love closed out his first full season as the Packers starter as strong as anyone at the position. From Week 12 through the postseason, Love earned a league-leading 90.9 passing grade, highlighted by 21 big-time throws, tied with Josh Allen for most over that span.

13. C.J. STROUD, HOUSTON TEXANS: 83.1
The 2023 Offensive Rookie of the Year was one of the most aggressive passers passers in the NFL. Stroud led the league in percentage of attempts past the sticks (46.7%) and earned a 94.7 PFF grade on such plays, placing him in the 87th percentile.

14. GENO SMITH, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: 82.9
Smith’s resurgence with the Seahawks continued in 2023, as he set career marks in several facets. Geno was particularly efficient on early downs, where he earned an 88.3 PFF grade, which placed him in the 95th percentile among passers.

15. TREVOR LAWRENCE, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: 79.7
The former first-overall pick made strides in his third year. Lawrence finished 2023 with a 5.8% big-time throw rate — tied for seventh among quarterbacks and ranking first in his career.

16. JAKE BROWNING, CINCINNATI BENGALS: 79.3
After taking over for the injured Joe Burrow in Week 11, Browning stepped in and produced well as the starter. When things were running smoothly and Browning was left with a clean pocket, he earned a 92.7 PFF grade, which tied for fifth at the position.

17. JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS: 77.9
Burrow’s season was marred by adversity before being cut short due to injury in Week 11. He was effective in his limited time on the field. PFF IQ rated Burrow in the 90th percentile or higher in under-pressure grade (90th), outside-the-pocket grade (95th), and third-and-fourth-down grade (93rd).

18. RUSSELL WILSON, DENVER BRONCOS: 77.5
The Broncos quarterback saw improvements in his second year at the helm of Denver’s offense. Wilson’s 5.6% big-time throw rate ranked ninth among qualifying passers, and he also recorded the fourth-highest adjusted completion percentage (78.8%) in the league.

T-19. BAKER MAYFIELD, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: 77.2
Mayfield’s resurgence in 2023 was due in no small part to his aggressive nature as a passer. The Bucs quarterback amassed 30 big-time throws and threw 42.5% of his passing attempts past the sticks, both of which rank in the top 12 among qualifying passers.

T-19. DEREK CARR, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: 77.2
The veteran quarterback was effective in his first season in New Orleans. He limited mistakes overall, producing a negatively graded throw on just 12.4% of his dropbacks. Carr’s 2.3% turnover-worthy play rate also ranked as the second-best figure of his career.
Not sure why everyone wants to downplay his success....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 11:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-quarterbacks-2023-nfl-season

No one is downplaying it. He is surrounded by guys like Geno smith, baker mayfield, Russel Wilson, Derek Carr. You could argue that 3/4 teams that signed these guys to contracts 2-3 years ago had buyers remorse. Being a back end starting level qb really just relegates you to a backup/bridge option. That’s not a knock on him, but why would anyone happily sign up for average qb play? We saw how well that worked with Andy dalton. Since dalton left here, he hasn’t sniffed a real starting role . Jake would be no different.

Seems to me that we overrate middling qb play here in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
How about trading pick 18 to acquire pick 27 and 35 from Arizona?

Bengals would need to sweeten the pot but it seems like there are players that fall to pick 27 that are very good, and you can get NT Sweat at pick 35 or trade down a little bit from there to get him.

Pick 49 seems to miss out on Sweat and a lot of our other needs, or is too high to be picking for our other needs.

I would be happy to hear the Bengals are trading down this year.

I created a thread about this topic: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trading-Down-in-1st-2nd-Round?pid=1468836#pid1468836
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 11:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-quarterbacks-2023-nfl-season

Pretty cool seeing both our QB's ranked ahead of the stealers new ray of hope QB lol
Reply/Quote
A trade that would make the team better would be our 6th Rd pick for Harrison Phillips NT Minnesota.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 11:50 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: How about trading pick 18 to acquire pick 27 and 35 from Arizona?

Bengals would need to sweeten the pot but it seems like there are players that fall to pick 27 that are very good, and you can get NT Sweat at pick 35 or trade down a little bit from there to get him.

Pick 49 seems to miss out on Sweat and a lot of our other needs, or is too high to be picking for our other needs.

I would be happy to hear the Bengals are trading down this year.

I created a thread about this topic: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trading-Down-in-1st-2nd-Round?pid=1468836#pid1468836

I do not think you trade down if there is a chance a real difference maker falls to us at #18. 

I'd put the following 15 guys in that basket: 

QB (3): Williams, Daniels, Maye 
---------------
WR (3): Harrison, Nabers, Odunze 
OT (4): Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham 
TE (1): Bowers 
DT (1): Murphy 
CB (2): Arnold, Mitchell
----------
DE (1): Turner

We are out on the QBs and probably DEs. Then  there is the next basket of guys. If that all is left, that's when I'd talk trade down. Though there are some who would help a lot. Again, we are probably out on QBs & DEs, and any of thse guys going before #18 helps us. We'd need 3 to guarantee one of the top guys falls to us. 

QB (2): McCarty, Nix 
DE (2): Verse, Latu
-----------
OT (3): Fuatanu, Mims, Guyton 
WR (1): Thomas 
CB (1): DeJean 
IOL (1): Powers-Johnson 
DT (1): Newton

I'd be pretty happy with any of those 7. Maybe a couple more (McKinstry, Morgan, Mitchell). But 24-27 is probably as low as I'd be willing to go trading back. Not a fan of switching a guys position (Barton, Fautanu at G, etc).

But tems with later firsts AND earlier seconds is a small universe if you want Sweat in Rd2. Though another 3rd could be ammo to move up.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 03:06 PM)J24 Wrote: A trade that would make the team better would be our 6th Rd pick for Harrison Phillips NT Minnesota.

I like this thought a ton. Pretty sure Phillips is a good run stopper.
Reply/Quote