Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trade for Julio?
The Cincinnati Bengals basically have 3 options Pitts, Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase if they stay still at the 5th overall pick.

Rumors and discussions abound on all 3.

With the latest, and definitely most wild, rumor put out by PFN insider Tony Pauline, who heard the Bengals are set to draft Ja’Marr Chase over offensive tackle Penei Sewell.

Not because they believe he's truly the better player or better for the team, but they simply want to 'stick it to AJ Green.'

Such rumors are common place in Bengaldom during draft week. But it has recently been said that the Falcons want Pitts.

But with only 1 million in cap space, they can't afford to sign any draft day players and are actively shopping Julio Jones.

If the rumors are true a future 1st to 2nd would net you Julio Jones. They want to make the trade after June 1st to save cap space.

If the Cincinnati Bengals draft Penei Sewell in the 1st.

Would you want them to trade for Julio Jones?

Do you think he'd be realistic and sign a contact restructure or add a "4th year voided" to significantly lower his cap hit to us over the next 3 year's?

Do you think he would be better then Chase over the next 3 years? Do you think a change of scenery would reinvigorate him for the next 3 years?

Would a Penei Sewell, opening up this year's 2nd round pick, and Julio Jones for next year's 2nd be better than Chase and a 2nd round O-Lineman?

Or is it just too much to give for an aging WR?
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:47 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: But with only 1 million in cap space, they can't afford to sign any draft day players and are actively shopping Julio Jones.

They can afford to sign their draft day players. Spotrac has them at $2.4m in cap space, and everyone they draft will kick a different guy off their Top 51 and . They cut a guy like Kendall Sheffield (40.3 PFF rating last year, 47.5 the year before, 0 INT and 6 Pdef in 29 games/20 starts) they save another $700k, or just have a guy do a restructuring and kick some cap hit down the road a year or two. The cap is expected to enormously rise in 2022.

The Bucs, Saints, and Bears all have less cap space than the Falcons, and the Packers, Bills, and Giants only have ~$1m more. They'll sign their draft picks too. Only the Bengals peddle the notion that you need $10m in cap space just to sign your draft picks.

Not to mention that trading Julio Jones only creates $5.3m in cap space for the Falcons in 2021. I have seen nowhere that says they are "actively shopping" Julio Jones, just plenty of things says they are willing to take calls (which everyone should be about everyone since it costs you nothing to listen).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 03:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They can afford to sign their draft day players. Spotrac has them at $2.4m in cap space, and everyone they draft will kick a different guy off their Top 51 and . They cut a guy like Kendall Sheffield (40.3 PFF rating last year, 47.5 the year before, 0 INT and 6 Pdef in 29 games/20 starts) they save another $700k, or just have a guy do a restructuring and kick some cap hit down the road a year or two. The cap is expected to enormously rise in 2022.

The Bucs, Saints, and Bears all have less cap space than the Falcons, and the Packers, Bills, and Giants only have ~$1m more. They'll sign their draft picks too. Only the Bengals peddle the notion that you need $10m in cap space just to sign your draft picks.

Not to mention that trading Julio Jones only creates $5.3m in cap space for the Falcons in 2021. I have seen nowhere that says they are "actively shopping" Julio Jones, just plenty of things says they are willing to take calls (which everyone should be about everyone since it costs you nothing to listen)
Actually, trading Julio Jones saves them 15 million if done after June 1st.

Which is why they wouldn't trade him until well after the draft. As a pre June 1st trade would result in 23 million in dead money.

Exactly why a May 31st trade cost them and a June 1st trade saves 15 million makes little sense, but it's how the NFL operates.

I was also under the impression from the Falcon websites that they needed at least 10 million dollars freed up at minimum to be able to sign their picks they said it would cost them 13 million to sign all of them.

But that might have changed recently, I'm not sure.

Also it's highly speculated that the Ravens are interested in him, whether or not it actually happens is another thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/24/falcons-nfl-draft-salary-cap-atlanta-2021-offseason/amp/
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 03:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They can afford to sign their draft day players. Spotrac has them at $2.4m in cap space, and everyone they draft will kick a different guy off their Top 51 and . They cut a guy like Kendall Sheffield (40.3 PFF rating last year, 47.5 the year before, 0 INT and 6 Pdef in 29 games/20 starts) they save another $700k, or just have a guy do a restructuring and kick some cap hit down the road a year or two. The cap is expected to enormously rise in 2022.

Not to mention that trading Julio Jones only creates $5.3m in cap space for the Falcons in 2021. I have seen nowhere that says they are "actively shopping" Julio Jones, just plenty of things says they are willing to take calls (which everyone should be about everyone since it costs you nothing to listen).

Joe Burrow has a 8 million dollar cap hit in year #2, so I am thinking a #4 pick has at least 6.5 million in 2021. So, I am not sure I see Falcons having money to sign all picks unless they make some cuts.

As for Jones, nothing can happen with him until after June 1 (so they can spread dead money over 2 years), so if that is the plan would be a real crap shoot. I don't see it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 04:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe Burrow has a 8 million dollar cap hit in year #2, so I am thinking a #4 pick has at least 6.5 million in 2021. So, I am not sure I see Falcons having money to sign all picks unless they make some cuts.

As for Jones, nothing can happen with him until after June 1 (so they can spread dead money over 2 years), so if that is the plan would be a real crap shoot. I don't see it.

Of course there's going to be cuts. The guys they're drafting are going to take other guy's roster spots. Not all those guys replaced are going to be making league minimum.

For example, if the Bengals drafted Pitts, they probably release Uzomah (which saves $5.2m).
If the Bengals draft a C in the 2nd round, they probably release Trey Hopkins (which saves $3.5m) and/or Billy Price (saves $2.1m).

Everyone added through the draft is taking someone else off.

- - - - - -

Keep in mind...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-salary-cap-could-climb-past-dollar200-million-for-2022-season/ar-BB1eNaWY

There's expectations that the 2022 cap will be $200m and the 2023 cap will be $230m. Teams aren't going to chop their arm off for just this one year when they can kick the debt down a year where there's a lot more space.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:47 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: If the rumors are true a future 1st to 2nd would net you Julio Jones. They want to make the trade after June 1st to save cap space.

Trading a first or second round pick for a 32 year old WR who missed almost half of last season with injuries?

What could possibly go wrong with that?

When was the last time anyone here heard of a 31 year old elite WR not being able to return 100% from injuries?
Reply/Quote
The "stick it to AJ" comment doesn't even make sense. The video montage they did when he left didn't seem like an organization that was bitter about the split and AJ's involvement didn't seem like someone who was bitter on his part. The team has never really attempted to "stick it" to anyone by using the draft, for instance, they didn't draft a QB at 4 in the 2011 draft to "stick it" to Palmer (who may have deserved it to an extent) but instead took AJ and waited until the 2nd for Dalton because it was the way the board shook out.
Reply/Quote
I've never heard such BS in my life than they guy trying to sell the story that the Bengals are trying to stick anything to AJ Green. AJ is a Bengals great, will be in the ROH, and left as classy as he was when he was here.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've never heard such BS in my life than they guy trying to sell the story that the Bengals are trying to stick anything to AJ Green. AJ is a Bengals great, will be in the ROH, and left as classy as he was when he was here.

This x 1000
Reply/Quote
This "sticking it to AJ" piece is garbage. Why even give it the time of day?
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:47 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals basically have 3 options Pitts, Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase if they stay still at the 5th overall pick.

With the latest, and definitely most wild, rumor put out by PFN insider Tony Pauline, who heard the Bengals are set to draft Ja’Marr Chase over offensive tackle Penei Sewell.

Not because they believe he's truly the better player or better for the team, but they simply want to 'stick it to AJ Green.'

Such rumors are common place in Bengaldom during draft week. But it has recently been said that the Falcons want Pitts.

But with only 1 million in cap space, they can't afford to sign any draft day players and are actively shopping Julio Jones.

If the rumors are true a future 1st to 2nd would net you Julio Jones. They want to make the trade after June 1st to save cap space.

Do you think he'd be realistic and sign a contact restructure or add a "4th year voided" to significantly lower his cap hit to us over the next 3 year's?

Do you think he would be better then Chase over the next 3 years? Do you think a change of scenery would reinvigorate him for the next 3 years?

Would a Penei Sewell, opening up this year's 2nd round pick, and Julio Jones for next year's 2nd be better than Chase and a 2nd round O-Lineman?

Why would anyone even ask this? Might as well ask if they're going to trade Burrow and sign Alex Smith.  Hilarious

The Bengals aren't wasting a draft pick to middle finger anyone. To even believe that for a second is downright goofy. I couldn't think of a more absurd concept. Until this.....

The Bengals aren't trading for Juilo Jones. Certainly not draft picks. And certainly not with his salary. And for a 1st or 2nd? Child Please. 

Atlanta cannot trade him until June 1st, anyway.

To the rest of your questions... A blanket NO. Just, NO. There's no reason to even debate these or answer them individually. NO. There are ZERO reasons for the Bengals to do this and EVERY CONCEIVABLE reason for them to not do it. NO.

Next question: Should the Bengals cut Tee Higgins and trade two firsts to get AJ Green back and then trade Bates for Larry Fitzgerald..... NO.

Jesus Christ.... NO
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 07:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Trading a first or second round pick for a 32 year old WR who missed almost half of last season with injuries?

What could possibly go wrong with that?

When was the last time anyone here heard of a 31 year old elite WR not being able to return 100% from injuries?

Not particularly similar cases... 

Prior to missing 7 games in 2020, Jones had missed 1 game over the previous 3 years. 
Prior to missing 16 games in 2019, Green had missed 13 games over the previous 3 years.

Julio Jones was active for Week 13 vs the Saints and went 6/94/0, but once they lost that game, they lost their chance at a winning season. That's when he shut it down for the final 4 games.

Julio Jones at age 30 had enough yardage to be AJ Green's second highest total of his career if he had it. This after leading the league in yards the year before. I am not saying I would make the trade if I were the Bengals, but that's just because they're not that close to being good. If I were a borderline wildcard team or better, I would most certainly trade for him to push my team forward. 

- - - - - - - -
Thankfully I think he resists a trade to Baltimore because they don't throw it there and I doubt he wants to cap his HoF career in a ultra low frequency passing game. 

Certainly don't want him in the division if he's not on the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not particularly similar cases... 

Prior to missing 7 games in 2020, Jones had missed 1 game over the previous 3 years. 
Prior to missing 16 games in 2019, Green had missed 13 games over the previous 3 years.

Julio Jones was active for Week 13 vs the Saints and went 6/94/0, but once they lost that game, they lost their chance at a winning season. That's when he shut it down for the final 4 games.

Julio Jones at age 30 had enough yardage to be AJ Green's second highest total of his career if he had it. This after leading the league in yards the year before. I am not saying I would make the trade if I were the Bengals, but that's just because they're not that close to being good. If I were a borderline wildcard team or better, I would most certainly trade for him to push my team forward. 

- - - - - - - -
Thankfully I think he resists a trade to Baltimore because they don't throw it there and I doubt he wants to cap his HoF career in a ultra low frequency passing game. 

Certainly don't want him in the division if he's not on the Bengals.

Indianapolis and New England make sense for Julio, the dark horse would be San Francisco.
Reply/Quote
The "stick it" to AJ Green rumor is garbage. Drafting a WR or trading for a WR doesn't "stick it" to AJ Green. It's an empty platitude by a click bait journalist.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:33 AM)Takedown Wrote: This "sticking it to AJ" piece is garbage. Why even give it the time of day?

Because it sticks it to us Bengal  Fans.  Media loves that 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: Indianapolis and New England make sense for Julio, the dark horse would be San Francisco.

IF he gets traded (I am not so sure he will), I think it will be to Miami. 

They have the extra 2023 1st rounder from the trade down, so losing a 2022 1st rounder probably wouldn't hurt them. Also if the Bengals do take Chase as expected, that means they wouldn't have to worry about taking the #2 WR and instead can take the #1 OT or #1 TE (whichever is there) at 6.

They are close (10-6 but missed the playoffs in 2020) so it could be the extra step forward they need. They can probably make it work financially as well as they're 15th in cap space. The Dolphins already had the 6th scoring defense last year. If they can add Pitts AND Julio Jones on offense, they probably surpass the Bills in the division and become favorites to face the Chiefs in the AFC Championship.

(Also, the 49ers don't have a 1st round pick in 2022 or 2023. They gave it up to trade up with Miami.)

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:47 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals basically have 3 options Pitts, Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase if they stay still at the 5th overall pick.

I have no idea where you heard about the Bengals wanting to "stick it to AJ Green".  That seems borderline inconceivable.  

I also have zero interest in wasting a draft pick on a guy that has had injury history and is in the twilight of his career.  Take Chase, build the line with the following 3 picks.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: IF he gets traded (I am not so sure he will), I think it will be to Miami. 

They have the extra 2023 1st rounder from the trade down, so losing a 2022 1st rounder probably wouldn't hurt them. Also if the Bengals do take Chase as expected, that means they wouldn't have to worry about taking the #2 WR and instead can take the #1 OT or #1 TE (whichever is there) at 6.

They are close (10-6 but missed the playoffs in 2020) so it could be the extra step forward they need. They can probably make it work financially as well as they're 15th in cap space. The Dolphins already had the 6th scoring defense last year. If they can add Pitts AND Julio Jones on offense, they probably surpass the Bills in the division and become favorites to face the Chiefs in the AFC Championship.

(Also, the 49ers don't have a 1st round pick in 2022 or 2023. They gave it up to trade up with Miami.)

I don't think Julio brings a 1st like people are talking about, I am expecting a 2nd, potentially a 2nd they recover from moving Jimmy G. The last WR traded for a 1st round pick was Brandon Cooks and that was a bust, before that it doesn't look much better in the last 20 years and none were 32. 
Reply/Quote
Understand that just because 1st round is asking price doesn't mean that's the selling point. I'd assume ATL would jump all over a 3rd for JJ
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Julio and AJ are in the same boat, great in their hayday, injured-prone, old and underperforming in their "old" age now. These are players that belong in winning teams who need a slight upgrade in their depleted WR corps but not rebuildilng/losing teams.
Reply/Quote