Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trade for Julio?
Absolutely not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 03:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They can afford to sign their draft day players. Spotrac has them at $2.4m in cap space, and everyone they draft will kick a different guy off their Top 51 and . They cut a guy like Kendall Sheffield (40.3 PFF rating last year, 47.5 the year before, 0 INT and 6 Pdef in 29 games/20 starts) they save another $700k, or just have a guy do a restructuring and kick some cap hit down the road a year or two. The cap is expected to enormously rise in 2022.

The Bucs, Saints, and Bears all have less cap space than the Falcons, and the Packers, Bills, and Giants only have ~$1m more. They'll sign their draft picks too. Only the Bengals peddle the notion that you need $10m in cap space just to sign your draft picks.

Not to mention that trading Julio Jones only creates $5.3m in cap space for the Falcons in 2021. I have seen nowhere that says they are "actively shopping" Julio Jones, just plenty of things says they are willing to take calls (which everyone should be about everyone since it costs you nothing to listen).

Interesting thought. I'd love to be one of those teams that at least kicks the tires on something like this. There are obviously stages to negotiations. I don't think whoever acquires him will need to part with significant draft capital or eat his full tag for the next three years or anything even close. Discussions haven't even begun yet, presumably. I'd just want to be in the room, actively pursuing a new idea even if it doesn't materialize, as opposed to standing on the outside, watching the world go round, and holding a grudge against the entire league.

In the end, I don't think a player like Jones would even want to come here. Partly for the same reasons. But not only are we NFL wallpaper by choice, we're also coming off two abysmal seasons. He's surely looking to make a run at the Lombardi. Just viewing it through a football lens, I don't see the fit.

And apropros of nothing, I have a confession to make. I remember after we drafted AJ over Jones, tracking their careers to see if we made the right choice. Just something you do as an insecure Bengals fan lol. For the first few years it looked like we got the better player and, naturally, I started to flub my nose at the Falcons, especially after Julio hurt his foot. But I think I jinxed it. From the day he came back he just turned on the jets and obliterated our guy. There's absolutely no debate anymore. He's on his way to Canton.

I see u, Julio. You win, bruh. Clapping
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:47 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals basically have 3 options Pitts, Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase if they stay still at the 5th overall pick.

Rumors and discussions abound on all 3.

With the latest, and definitely most wild, rumor put out by PFN insider Tony Pauline, who heard the Bengals are set to draft Ja’Marr Chase over offensive tackle Penei Sewell.

Not because they believe he's truly the better player or better for the team, but they simply want to 'stick it to AJ Green.'

Such rumors are common place in Bengaldom during draft week. But it has recently been said that the Falcons want Pitts.

But with only 1 million in cap space, they can't afford to sign any draft day players and are actively shopping Julio Jones.

If the rumors are true a future 1st to 2nd would net you Julio Jones. They want to make the trade after June 1st to save cap space.

If the Cincinnati Bengals draft Penei Sewell in the 1st.

Would you want them to trade for Julio Jones?

Do you think he'd be realistic and sign a contact restructure or add a "4th year voided" to significantly lower his cap hit to us over the next 3 year's?

Do you think he would be better then Chase over the next 3 years? Do you think a change of scenery would reinvigorate him for the next 3 years?

Would a Penei Sewell, opening up this year's 2nd round pick, and Julio Jones for next year's 2nd be better than Chase and a 2nd round O-Lineman?

Or is it just too much to give for an aging WR?

Julio like AJ last year has an increasingly hard problem to solve on the field.  They get the best CB the other team has, a guy likely to be a few years younger and just as fast.  Yet Julio like AJ isn't the player of the past. Age catches up with them in two ways, their bodies decline and the young ones going against them.  I think this is why elite receivers decline so fast in the NFL.  No surprise AJ had such a bad year, I expected it given the injury and his age.  So absolutely insane to trade for Julio under any deal.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:47 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals basically have 3 options Pitts, Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase if they stay still at the 5th overall pick.

Rumors and discussions abound on all 3.

With the latest, and definitely most wild, rumor put out by PFN insider Tony Pauline, who heard the Bengals are set to draft Ja’Marr Chase over offensive tackle Penei Sewell.

Not because they believe he's truly the better player or better for the team, but they simply want to 'stick it to AJ Green.'

Such rumors are common place in Bengaldom during draft week. But it has recently been said that the Falcons want Pitts.

But with only 1 million in cap space, they can't afford to sign any draft day players and are actively shopping Julio Jones.

If the rumors are true a future 1st to 2nd would net you Julio Jones. They want to make the trade after June 1st to save cap space.

If the Cincinnati Bengals draft Penei Sewell in the 1st.

Would you want them to trade for Julio Jones?

Do you think he'd be realistic and sign a contact restructure or add a "4th year voided" to significantly lower his cap hit to us over the next 3 year's?

Do you think he would be better then Chase over the next 3 years? Do you think a change of scenery would reinvigorate him for the next 3 years?

Would a Penei Sewell, opening up this year's 2nd round pick, and Julio Jones for next year's 2nd be better than Chase and a 2nd round O-Lineman?

Or is it just too much to give for an aging WR?

What a stupid comment by Pauline. Why would we "want to stick it to AJ Green?" Dude was a complete stud for us for years 
and just fell off cause of injury, isn't his fault. No, I don't think this is realistic at all. Doubt the Falcons are actively shopping 
Julio as well as it doesn't save them much in cap. Why lose possibly your best player?

No Offense to you either TBM. I just find what Pauline said really dumb and it makes no sense.
Reply/Quote
Trading for Julio is laughable. An aging + oft injured receiver. Why?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've never heard such BS in my life than they guy trying to sell the story that the Bengals are trying to stick anything to AJ Green. AJ is a Bengals great, will be in the ROH, and left as classy as he was when he was here.

Agreed. I would have been embarrassed to post it
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Worst case scenario we get an injured 31 year old receiver who can't produce and lose a high draft pick plus $17.5 million in salary desperately needed to re-build.

Exactly
Reply/Quote
If salary cap were not a problem Julio to the:

Packers
Bills
Ravens
Titans
Chiefs
Steelers
Colts
49ers

Makes sense.

Most of those teams could theoretically compete for a Super Bowl. Many of those teams would have to get creative to come up with the funds to absorb his contract.

I’m Hoping the packers (least likely due to cap) can figure it out and give Rodgers the tools needed to get it done.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 02:56 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If salary cap were not a problem Julio to the:

Packers
Bills
Ravens
Titans
Chiefs
Steelers
Colts
49ers

Makes sense.

Most of those teams could theoretically compete for a Super Bowl.  Many of those teams would have to get creative to come up with the funds to absorb his contract.  

I’m Hoping the packers (least likely due to cap) can figure it out and give Rodgers the tools needed to get it done.

Colts make a lot of sense, as they have the cap room to take him on right now and still sign their draft picks.
Julio and Pittman outside with Hilton in the slot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Julio Jones did miss 7 games in 2020, which is obviously not ideal, but before that, over the last six seasons 2014-2019, Jones missed a total of four games. He played and started in 92 of 96 games. I wouldn't call him often injured.

Also, if we were to trade for Jones, they would owe him a 3-year $38.326 million deal. The yearly breakdown would be $15.3 million in 2021, $11.513 million in 2022, and $11.513 million in 2023 (numbers according to ESPN’s Field Yates).

That would put Jones’ average annual salary around $12.78 million per year, which would be 21st in the NFL at this time.

But like I said, as of now the NFL allowes you to add a "voidable" year at the end of the contract. That means Julio Jones would still get paid his entire salary, but it would allow the Bengals to pay it over 4 years. Jerry Jones is famous for this.

Julio Jones would average 9.58 million a year. If we take last year's number 5 pick contract of 30.2 million, that averages out to 7.55 million a year.

Also Julio Jones last year, a down year for him, averaged 86 yards a game and over 17 games that would net you 1,462 yards in a season. So in order for Chase to even match him he'd need at least 86 yards a game.

But all this seems to be a mute point as the Ravens have apparently been knocking down the door trying to get him and this has been said by multiple sources now. They might even be able to get him for a 3rd.

But if the Falcons could keep him, 100 percent they will.

Also I agree with the crazy that is 'sticking it to A.J. Green', but that is Bengaldom during draft week. Last year it was Burrow should refuse to play for the Bengals. Despite the fact that he wanted to be in Ohio.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 12:02 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Julio Jones did miss 7 games in 2020, which is obviously not ideal, but before that, over the last six seasons 2014-2019, Jones missed a total of four games. He played and started in 92 of 96 games. I wouldn't call him often injured.
Technically, he is injured very often, but usually plays through it. But the point you are making is accurate. Having said that, it would be a stupid move for the Bengals and not congruent with the team’s current make-up and direction. It would be interesting to see him with Green Bay. I’d prefer him not to go to Baltimore of course.
Reply/Quote
You never know when could be your year we have been in rebuilding mode last 4. We have franchise level talents at QB and S 4 More really good players in Hendrickson, Jonah, Reader Mixon, few more could join group. If you can get another weapon I say do it. Especially if Falcons would be willing to eat part of the contract.
Reply/Quote