Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade out of the 1st Simulation
Do not freak out yet just be open minded and remember this is a simulation to be considered with an open mind. I did not consider this situation until I was running a simulation that had the 4 most considered prospects for the Bengals off of the boards at #18:

B. Bowers - 6th selection
T. Fuaga - 10th selection
J.C. Latham - 13th selection
J. Newton - 16th selection.

Obviously, trading that far back is a big jump and one to not be taken lightly. First of all it is going to require an ideal situation to present itself which it did with the Panthers not having a first round selection and in dire need of adding legit weapons for Bryce Young. The Panthers presented a trade that gave the Bengals the following selections:

2-33
3-65
4-102
6-165

According to the draft trade calculator this equaled out to the Panthers giving up a low second round selection to (62.4 points above the value of the 18th selection) to move up into the first round. The Bengals accepted this trade and the Panthers used it to add Brian Thomas Jr. as a weapon for their young QB. What it did for the Bengals was to give them, what I consider to be, and outstanding draft that helped them build substantially for the future.

The Draft:

Reply/Quote
RD. 2 - 33rd Selection:
Kingsley Suamataia - OT  - BYU - 6'4" 329

It is imperative that the Bengals solidify the RT position which has been a challenge for them since Willie Anderson left and '24 will present them with their 4th starting RT in the last 4 seasons. Kingsley should be able to end this streak and provide them with the high end prospect that they have been searching for to end the chaos at RT. Kingsley brings near elite athleticism, power, and finishing mentality to the RT position. As a run blocker Kingsley had displayed the power to not just block defenders but to displace them with the intent to punish them while displaying the ability to get effectively to the second level with his athleticism. As a pass blocker he has the athleticism to mirror speed off the edge and the anchor to sit down and stonewall power.

Kingsley needs to clean up some minor technique issues such as occasionally getting out over his feet as a run blocker and lapses in hand placement as a pass blocker but overall the Bengals land an extremely high caliber prospect that has put together outstanding game film and should provide real value at the top of the second.

RD. 2 - 49th Selection:
Adonai Mitchell - WR - Texas - 6'3" 197

While the Bengals to appear to be returning Tee Higgins under the franchise tag for '24 and they added Iosivas and Jones in the '23 draft, the Bengals cannot afford to overlook the position and with Mitchell on the board at 49 it makes for a very easy selection. Mitchell brings elite route running and ball tracking skills to the position as well as outstanding quickness out of his breaks which enables him to consistently create separation from defenders. Smooth is about the best description of his route running abilities and while he does not possess elite deep speed he has good speed that is complimented by his ability to separate due to elite route running abilites.

Mitchell will need to continue to grow his game against press corners that look to physical him off of the line but this could improve by improving his overall strength. Overall, Mitchell presents outstanding value with the 49th selection for the Bengals and will go far in easing the pain if Higgins leaves after '24 as is expected.

RD. 3 - 65th Selection:
Leonard Taylor III - DT - Miami (Fla.) - 6'3" 305

One of the hottest DT prospects heading into the '24 draft. Taylor brings elite explosion and quickness off of the snap and while he does not have elite power he does generate outstanding force when you consider power to frame ratio. Taylor plays with extremely violent hands and has an impressive repertoire of pass rush moves and plays with great leverage. His high ends skills are amplified by a relentless motor that goes each down until the whistle blows. Taylor has a frame that should allow him to add a bit more mass at the NFL level without losing any of his hyper explosive abilities.

The Bengals have needed to add more pressure from the interior of the D line and Taylor should provide an upgrade and great value with the 65th overall selection. Great pick by the Bengals at this point

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:
Payton Wilson - LB - N.C. State - 6'4" 234

The Bengals have a talent disparity from their starting linebackers to their backups and having arguably the best overall LB prospect in the draft on the board at 80 makes for a very easy selection. Wilson brings outstanding size, length, speed, range, and cover ability to the position. He has had some medical issues but if he clears these at the combine then he makes this a really high value selection for the Bengals. Wilson is the hyper active player that you are looking for at the second level and he covers ground effortlessly. What Wilson will need to do is learn to temper his aggressiveness and improve his overall play strength. 

RD. 4 - 102nd Selection:
Khyree Jackson - CB - Oregon - 6'3" 203

With Awuzie more than likely gone in free agency this is a great selection for the Bengals. Jackson brings elite size and length to the position of which the Bengals are currently lacking at the position. Jackson has displayed outstanding ball skills and good speed and overall is a talented boundary corner that should be a welcome addition with the loss of Awuzie and the late injury to Ivey. Aggressive hand usage will need to tempered as he heads into the NFL but overall this kid is a pretty complete prospect that has a rather high ceiling given his physical attributes at the position.

RD. 4 - 116th Selection:
Ben Sinnott - TE - Kansas St. - 6'4" 254

Sinnott is a very productive receiving weapon at the TE position. Sinnott has run a pretty diverse route tree as a TE and has displayed outstanding, natural hands as a receiver. Tape shows a player that has short area quickness and gets in and out of his breaks sharply which helps him to separate in the short and intermediate passing game. While he does not possess elite speed for a TE he does possess enough deep speed to threaten the seams of a defense. Sinnott could very well be that piece of the puzzle they have been looking for as a receiving TE. While he is a very good receiver he is no sleeper as a blocker either. Sinnott played from the H-Back position prior to moving to full time inline TE at K State. 

Should be a really good match to pair with Tanner Hudson in the TE room.

RD. 5 - 148th Selection:
Jaylen Wright - RB - Tennessee - 5'11" 205

Will the Bengals save cap space and move on from Joe Mixon? If they do then Wright brings elite long speed and the outstanding vision to add an immediate athletic upgrade to the position and he displayed outstanding and natural receiving skills at Tennessee. While a worry with many young backs is their ability in pass protection but this is not concern as this in an area that he excelled in at the collegiate level. The outstanding vision and acceleration of Wright allows him to maximize the slightest crease by the offensive line. The duo of Brown and Wright should bring a level of athleticism and burst that the Bengals running game has not seen in a very long time.

RD. 5 - 165th Selection:
Sataoa Laumea - OL - Utah - 6'4" 319

Laumea is a position versatile lineman that played both tackle and guard at Utah, however, his best football was played on the interior of the line where his sheer power was on display as a mover in the running game and an anchor in the passing game. While he does not have great length to play on the edge he has really good length for an interior player with 33" arms. On the edge his athleticism would be in question but inside he has the athleticism to mirror inside quickness and the feet and football IQ to identify and match stunts and blitzes. Improving consistent pad level and continued growth of overall technique should provide the Bengals a productive inside player that could be a replacement on this inside if the play of Volson does not improve or when the contract of Cappa expires.

RD. 5 - 175th Selection:
Luke McCaffrey - WR - Rice - 6'1" 202

What a grab for the Bengals in the 5th round. McCaffrey is a player with elite lineage and football IQ. While McCaffrey may not possess elite abilities he is a receiver that does all of the little things that separate him from many other receivers. He has an outstanding catch radius, is extremely tough and physical, as a former QB he displays elite football IQ that is applied to the WR position, and as well brings elite work ethic. Luke is not rattled when playing on traffic or when making the tough catch over the middle and could make a living as a slot receiver at the NFL level. An outstanding depth addition to the WR room for the Bengals.

RD. 6 - 196th Selection:
Khristian Boyd - DT - Northern Iowa - 6'2" 320

Boyd showed up at the Shrine Bowl and served notice that playing at the highest level of competition at the collegiate level was not too big for him. Not only did he perform well at the Shrine Bowl but he was consistently mentioned as one of the most dominant interior players to make the trip and consistently dominated Power 5 offensive linemen. He could be considered a bit of a project but he played a lot of football at N. Iowa and he checks the physical boxes that you are looking for on the interior of the D line. Boyd gets off the ball with good explosion and natural power and has shown the ability to anchor against double teams. A good young prospect that could be a steal if his development can match his physical tools.

RD. 7 - 235th Selection:
Jarius Monroe - CB - Tulsa - 6'0" 204

Monroe transferred from Nicholls State to Tulsa and immediately showed that the jump in competition was not too big for him. He brings good size, speed, and length to the position to go with outstanding physicality and aggression. Overall, he displays good natural ability as a coverage corner and it was this ability that earned him an invitation to the Shrine Bowl. Monroe displayed excellent ball skills at Tulane where over his two season there he produced 6 INTs and 22 pass break ups. Monroe is a good depth piece for the DB room that could prove a value on special teams.

RD. 7 - 252nd Selection:
Tanner McLachlan - TE - Arizona - 6'5" 245

Tanner transferred from Southern Utah to Arizona where he proved to be a very productive high work ethic and high motor player. As excited as was about the Sinnott selection I am maybe just as excited about this selection. The best I can say is to watch some tape on this young man.
Reply/Quote
With this being Karras last season under contract, I'm really surprised that you didn't go with the OL from Duke, many are projecting him to be a Center in the NFL. Was he already gone by your first selection in the second round?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like this mock a lot OSUfan. You trading back and getting a good RT and maybe even a better WR than Brian Thomas Jr in the 2nd is
pretty crazy. Adonai Mitchell has such great hands and has a knack for getting open and is a TD machine in the red zone. Leonard Taylor
is one of my favorite 3-techs in this Draft, great pick. We do need a longer LB that can cover TE's and Payton Wilson seems to fit the bill.

I like Khyree Jackson, he just needs to quit with the holding and PI's, I watched one game where he got away with at least 5 PI's, so
this worries me a bit. But this late in the draft this isn't that big of a gamble. Ben Sinnott is my 2nd favorite TE in this entire draft after
Brock Bowers, love this pick. I like Jaylen Wright as well, I might even double up on RB in this Draft especially if we cut Mixon which is
seemingly more and more likely. I would like a bruiser to go along with Wright.

Good job, very nice mock especially if all the players you say are taken ahead of 18.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With this being Karras last season under contract, I'm really surprised that you didn't go with the OL from Duke, many are projecting him to be a Center in the NFL. Was he already gone by your first selection in the second round?

He's probably going in the late 1st.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:03 PM)pulses Wrote: He's probably going in the late 1st.

Possibly, but as it is with every draft season, there are about 50-60 players whom several on here all feel are 1st round guys.  However, only 32 get to be selected in the 1st round, and unfortunately for some teams, need dictates their first round selection.  Weather they are in need of a QB, or a can't miss at any other premium position, the board almost never plays out in the order that the prognosticators have the talent ranked.

For example, PFF has Barton as their 7th best Tackle available, but the 26th overall prospect.  (Guyton as 8th best Tackle, for reference)  Now, with teams needing QBs, wanting the best Edge Rusher they can get, best IDL they can find, they NEED a shutdown CB, etc., there's just not enough room in the 1st round for 8 Tackle prospects to be taken. (Though some say Barton is likely going to be a Center in the NFL)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With this being Karras last season under contract, I'm really surprised that you didn't go with the OL from Duke, many are projecting him to be a Center in the NFL. Was he already gone by your first selection in the second round?

Barton went at 40 but I felt the value with Kingsley at 33 considering the Bengals do not have a starting RT on their roster had to take priority in this case. I think Barton is going to be an outstanding center and would have really liked to have got him but it did not work out in the Bengals favor on that front.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this mock a lot OSUfan. You trading back and getting a good RT and maybe even a better WR than Brian Thomas Jr in the 2nd is
pretty crazy. Adonai Mitchell has such great hands and has a knack for getting open and is a TD machine in the red zone. Leonard Taylor
is one of my favorite 3-techs in this Draft, great pick. We do need a longer LB that can cover TE's and Payton Wilson seems to fit the bill.

I like Khyree Jackson, he just needs to quit with the holding and PI's, I watched one game where he got away with at least 5 PI's, so
this worries me a bit. But this late in the draft this isn't that big of a gamble. Ben Sinnott is my 2nd favorite TE in this entire draft after
Brock Bowers, love this pick. I like Jaylen Wright as well, I might even double up on RB in this Draft especially if we cut Mixon which is
seemingly more and more likely. I would like a bruiser to go along with Wright.

Good job, very nice mock especially if all the players you say are taken ahead of 18.

I seem to really be in a minority as not being a big fan of Brock Bowers. I just don't see the dynamic freak of a guy like Pitts or a real size mismatch of a Mark Andrews. I would tell you that if you have not watched any tape on Tanner McLachlan from Arizona then watch some. This guy is just a gritty effort player that leaves it all on the field and what he lacks in pure athletic ability he seems to make up for with will, heart, and determination.
Reply/Quote
Payton Wilson my LB selection just ran a 4.44.
Reply/Quote
I really like this draft! If we could get a great haul in the draft like this, I would just go out and start advertising, we are willing to trade #18 right now. Good Job!

Edit: PS I am not really wanting Bowers either. At 230LBS he will get broke as an inline blocker
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 09:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I seem to really be in a minority as not being a big fan of Brock Bowers. I just don't see the dynamic freak of a guy like Pitts or a real size mismatch of a Mark Andrews. I would tell you that if you have not watched any tape on Tanner McLachlan from Arizona then watch some. This guy is just a gritty effort player that leaves it all on the field and what he lacks in pure athletic ability he seems to make up for with will, heart, and determination.

McCallan Castles is another sleeper TE IMO.
Reply/Quote
I like it, only one i question is the LB you took, would rather have had another Trench player selected.
Take a C instead of Mitchell and get Wilson instead of LB and It'd be a Golden draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 01:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I like it, only one i question is the LB you took, would rather have had another Trench player selected.
Take a C instead of Mitchell and get Wilson instead of LB and It'd be a Golden draft.

Well I understand what you are saying but I was not selecting players as I pleased it was a simulation and I was selecting from what was on the board. Wilson was the 54th ranked player and the Bengals got him with the 80th selection. I am sorry but that is not a value that is very smart to pass on. When I selected Mitchell the highest ranked center on the board would have been #73 Christian Haynes who is not a guarantee at center as much as guard or #80 Van Pran who is a center prospect. So that would have meant passing on the 38th ranked prospect who was on the board at 49 to select a player that I could possibly get at #80? 

It did not work out to get an either Haynes or Van Pran at #80 or they would have been my selection but I was not going to overdraft a position and pass on a higher value selection. 
Reply/Quote