Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trade talks with Falcons?
So is there any truth to this, or is it speculation posing as "news"?

Fwiw, I'd trade Gio for some o-line (or LB) help in a heartbeat. Gio is a steady and versatile guy, but he hasn't been that electric RB we all thought he'd be. He hasn't had a run that topped 28 yards since 2014 (!). He's averaged less than 4 ypc in 2 of the last 3 seasons. His usage as a receiver has been down.

Yet he's the 16th best paid RB in in the NFL for 2019 (according to spotrac). People won't want to hear it, but I think Gio is overpaid. Plus he's good to miss a few games every year. Good dude, I like the guy, but I also call it how it is.

All that said, a trade doesn't seem likely, even though we got a couple of good young backs in this last draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 05:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know that the "battling against the officials" is a lame, tired excuse.  However, in that particular game it was true.  The refs didn't run out of ammunition, but the Bengals ran out of composure at the end.

Not even arguing against that. The Bengals were hosed repeatedly in that game, but they had to keep it together and soldier on despite that, and they just couldn't do it for two more minutes.

I'm trying to think of another example of a team completely losing their composure like that during a game where calls aren't going that way and I can't come up with one. That's on the Bengals.

Hell, if they were going to lose their cool and go nuts at least do it while Ryan Shazier is dancing midfield as Gio's getting stretchered off on a dirty hit. At least that's a better look IMO. You simply can't do it when the opponent is driving down the field to try to win the game, no matter what happens.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 06:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So is there any truth to this, or is it speculation posing as "news"?

Fwiw, I'd trade Gio for some o-line (or LB) help in a heartbeat. Gio is a steady and versatile guy, but he hasn't been that electric RB we all thought he'd be. He hasn't had a run that topped 28 yards since 2014 (!). He's averaged less than 4 ypc in 2 of the last 3 seasons. His usage as a receiver has been down.

Yet he's the 16th best paid RB in in the NFL for 2019 (according to spotrac). People won't want to hear it, but I think Gio is overpaid. Plus he's good to miss a few games every year. Good dude, I like the guy, but I also call it how it is.

All that said, a trade doesn't seem likely, even though we got a couple of good young backs in this last draft.

I saw some fan sites suggesting the Falcons trade for Gio too. For several months this has been out there.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 04:11 AM)kevin Wrote: NFL trades don't happen that easy and the question mark ?,  means it probably isn't happening.   Plus add in the Falcons let this guy go in Free Agency as Bengals over years have let players go in Free Agency.  The Falcons had all Free Agency and the Draft to address this.  My guess is that if you look at Falcons roster, they probably go into camp with many RB's.  

I remember Bob Trumpy and Cris Collinsworth on WLW sports talk radio,  and when people called in with NFL trades, they always said NFL trades are not that easy to make, and impossible to predict.   The best thing about this is the question mark, because it is a huge ?????

Fans are all over this site thinking up many trades.  One guy wants to trade all the veterans for draft picks for an all rookie team in 2020, and I'm glad he isn't the owner or GM.   

Now to people wanting an O Lineman or this or that.   Towards end of preseason there are always some interesting names cut and without a team as all teams have to meet roster restrictions.   Sometimes a good veteran loses his job as the team goes for youth.  Sometimes a good young player in preseason gets left out as the team stays with veterans.  Sometimes just because a guy can't make a Super Bowl teams roster doesn't mean he couldn't help a losing team.  So instead of trades that probably won't happen,  keep your eyes open for who the hundreds of players the 32 teams cut in preseason.  There are always surprises and names other teams rush to pick up. 

and, Zac Taylor has said he might have ways to use Gio in his offense.   I look at Bengals RB situation, and I fail to see the great depth others do. A lot of unproven names. A team needs a good stable of running backs for depth and special teams. There are teams with far more RB depth than Bengals at this time.  Bengals also don't seem to be looking for an O Lineman.  Zac Taylor saying he has many options already on line going into camp.  Now if he discovers in preseason the blocking stinks, then he might make some moves.  Last I saw Fisher was still unsigned, which is another option.   Gio does something at RB that Rams Taylor loves, Gio catches the ball.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.  I really have to question the blocker we would get in a trade like this anyway.

I think Gio is an underrated back.  Multidimensional runner, receiver and blocker.  I think he's definitely a guy ZT could use.  And I think Taylor may be the guy that exploits his strengths better than he has been used here for a lot of his career.  And your right about the depth of the RB room and the untested nature of the new guys (who I am very hopeful about)

I can't wait to see this offense start to operate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw some fan sites suggesting the Falcons trade for Gio too. For several months this has been out there.

I mean, from the Falcons side it makes sense. Gio would be a great replacement for Coleman. 

That said, I wouldn't give up Gio for peanuts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I mean, from the Falcons side it makes sense. Gio would be a great replacement for Coleman. 

That said, I wouldn't give up Gio for peanuts.

I don't think the Falcons need him. They seem to be able to just plug random guys in and get production.

Heck, former Bengals Brian Hill had 115 yards rushing in Week 16 last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think the Falcons need him. They seem to be able to just plug random guys in and get production.

Heck, former Bengals Brian Hill had 115 yards rushing in Week 16 last year.

That's partly why I hate paying RB's big money. Many teams just seem to plug guys in and roll on. 
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:37 PM)3wt Wrote: I think Gio is an underrated back.  Multidimensional runner, receiver and blocker.  I think he's definitely a guy ZT could use.  And I think Taylor may be the guy that exploits his strengths better than he has been used here for a lot of his career.  And your right about the depth of the RB room and the untested nature of the new guys (who I am very hopeful about)

I can't wait to see this offense start to operate.

I agree that Gio is an underrated back when he is not hesitant and just hits holes. He has had problems with this after the Shazier hit even if it seemed he overcame it the last few years. Also, Gio may be good at catching the ball but so are Mixon, Traveon and Rodney, this is why Zac and company drafted Traveon and Rodney for their Offense. Traveon was my favorite RB in that entire Draft for heck sake. Great at running, catching can play physical and can take it the distance at any time.

Rodney Anderson is also very good at catching the ball and is smooth and hard to bring down. If not for the injuries he could of been a top back.

I honestly don't know why Traveon fell as far as he did though. Still makes me shake my head, teams will regret it and Traveon Williams is Giovani Bernard's perfect replacement. We will see how he does in the NFL though.
Reply/Quote
Gio for an offensive lineman, but no way would I trade him for a draft pick.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 11:48 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Gio for an offensive lineman, but no way would I trade him for a draft pick.

Draft picks are trade currency.  An acquired draft pick can also be used to trade for an OL from a different team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:32 PM)jason Wrote: Julio...

Sounds like a deal. Do you think Julio would trade me a late model supercar for my 2012 CTS? I figure thats about as fair of a trade as Bernard for Julio.
Reply/Quote