Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trade talks with Falcons?
(07-21-2019, 02:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My guess is that it would be Ty Sambrailo .  He's a swing T that can also play either G spot.  He's only 27 and still has 3 years left on his deal, so he's more than just a rental.  He started 4 games at RT last year and didn't allow a sack.  He could compete with Hart at RT or possibly the LG spot if nobody runs away with it.  Worst case, he's a quality backup.

Losing Gio would suck, as he's a good player and a great guy, but he's in a contract year and we also have a lot of our young core guys coming up.  He's also hitting that age where RB's hit the wall.  

He came to mind when I read the depth chart but if you Google his name someone has an article on how bad he was.  They extended him pre draft, he's "versatile" but in the sense in that he's able to be bad at multiple positions.  
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:43 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me,being a 50 year fan,the way this works for us,we would have to get a top notch starting offensive lineman and a quality backup from them as Gio is a starter anywhere in the nfl.Now with that being said, what we need for sure is offensive linemen and good ones,we do not need a future draft pick or cash,we need linemen and or a top linebacker and I mean a top one.When you start talking about a trade for a top running back and he is,and I do not want to see him go,UNLESS it is a super deal for us.Hopefully ZT sees someone on their team that fits us,and we shall see,but I do believe we are in the mix for SOMEONE that can help us NOW.We have really solid running backs just waiting to play,like the ANDERSON man.He is the real deal and Joe Mixon loves this guy,and I believe he will return to form given the chance. Its going to be interesting. :andy: ThumbsUp I think something will happen in next week,as ZT wants who ever it is here NOW. 

No way is Bernard a starter everywhere in the NFL. He's been in the league fore 6 years and never rushed for more than 730 yards per year. Over the past 3 years, he's never rushed for more than 458 yards in any of those seasons.

RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. No way do we get a premium offensive lineman and a quality backup for him.

In a trade, we'd likely get a 3rd or 4th Round pick and that's probably on the high end.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No way is Bernard a starter everywhere in the NFL. He's been in the league fore 6 years and never rushed for more than 730 yards per year. Over the past 3 years, he's never rushed for more than 458 yards in any of those seasons.

RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. No way do we get a premium offensive lineman and a quality backup for him.

In a trade, we'd likely get a 3rd or 4th Round pick and that's probably on the high end.

I don't see Bernard drawing much in return. When you consider the running style the Rams play they used bigger backs. Bernard doesn't exactly fit that mold. If we want decent backup tackle we'd probably have to give up a later round pick and Bernard.

Why Bernard may be a fan favorite, that doesn't make him a starting caliber player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why Bernard may be a fan favorite, that doesn't make him a starting caliber player.

Exactly. He's good and can fill in nicely, but he hasnt been right since the Shazier hit in 2015. 

Reply/Quote
We can't risk either of those young backs on the practice squad. Since he is still recovering from the ACL tear, odds are Rodney Anderson will start on the PUP list and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him IRed for the entire season unless he shows up really hot on the rehab field. That leaves Williams as the #3 running back. Unless the Falcons make them a deal they can't refuse (and that would have to include a starting offensive lineman or linebacker) I don't think we will see Gio Bernard on the trading block

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't see Bernard drawing much in return. When you consider the running style the Rams play they used bigger backs. Bernard doesn't exactly fit that mold. If we want decent backup tackle we'd probably have to give up a later round pick and Bernard.

Why Bernard may be a fan favorite, that doesn't make him a starting caliber player.

Seeing how the Falcons are the team in "need", and reaching out to the Bengals, Giovanni Bernard's current value just went up a tick.  You're right, they're not going to get high pick, or a starting OL in return, but they can get higher than Bernard's immediate value that helps work toward a bigger picture goal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:18 PM)pally Wrote: We can't risk either of those young backs on the practice squad.  Since he is still recovering from the ACL tear, odds are Rodney Anderson will start on the PUP list and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him IRed for the entire season unless he shows up really hot on the rehab field.   That leaves Williams on a #3 running back.  Unless the Falcons make them a deal they can't refuse (and that would have to include a starting offensive lineman or linebacker) I don't think we will see Gio Bernard on the trading block

Problem is the Falcons really don't have high quality starters.

Reply/Quote
Julio...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Problem is the Falcons really don't have high quality starters.

Well, we're not going to get a high quality starter, in exchange for a RB2, in the first place.  However, if we could score a competent Swing Tackle, or Mid-Tier LB, or even some decent draft capitol, it's a win for the Bengals.

However, knowing how the Bengals FO looks at players that they drafted, they're likely trying to stick Atlanta up for a 2nd round pick, or their starting LT, or something as equally ridiculous...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 02:50 PM)phil413 Wrote: He came to mind when I read the depth chart but if you Google his name someone has an article on how bad he was.  They extended him pre draft, he's "versatile" but in the sense in that he's able to be bad at multiple positions.  

FWIW, he had a 67 PFF grade last year.  Give that as much or as little credence as you wish.

The linked article says he played well at RT for the Falcons and their FO was comfortable with him as the starting RT for this year, but it wouldn't stop them from taking an OT high in the draft.  They wound up nabbing McGary, which would potentially make him expendable.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/4/4/18295272/ty-sambrailo-wont-stop-the-falcons-from-drafting-the-right-tackle-of-the-future-nfl-draft-2019

I would say he probably falls into that realm of serviceable starter/quality backup.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't see Bernard drawing much in return. When you consider the running style the Rams play they used bigger backs. Bernard doesn't exactly fit that mold. If we want decent backup tackle we'd probably have to give up a later round pick and Bernard.

I'm not saying he's bad...but Bernard is possibly our most overrated player. He has a role here and that's as a #2 back.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:18 PM)pally Wrote: We can't risk either of those young backs on the practice squad.  Since he is still recovering from the ACL tear, odds are Rodney Anderson will start on the PUP list and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him IRed for the entire season unless he shows up really hot on the rehab field.   That leaves Williams on a #3 running back.  Unless the Falcons make them a deal they can't refuse (and that would have to include a starting offensive lineman or linebacker) I don't think we will see Gio Bernard on the trading block

Well...IF management knows we can't compete AND they can't work out an extension with Bernard...they may trade him for cost savings.

Your post makes sense...IF you're looking at it from a maximize wins standpoint. We have no clue if the team internally thinks they can win. Publicly they won't say this.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 04:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, he had a 67 PFF grade last year.  Give that as much or as little credence as you wish.

The linked article says he played well at RT for the Falcons and their FO was comfortable with him as the starting RT for this year, but it wouldn't stop them from taking an OT high in the draft.  They wound up nabbing McGary, which would potentially make him expendable.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/4/4/18295272/ty-sambrailo-wont-stop-the-falcons-from-drafting-the-right-tackle-of-the-future-nfl-draft-2019

I would say he probably falls into that realm of serviceable starter/quality backup.

A 67 would be our best offensive lineman.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:32 PM)jason Wrote: Julio...

I know you are joking but getting Sanu back might not be out of the question. We could use the depth at WR. 

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 04:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A 67 would be our best offensive lineman.  Hilarious

Actually, he fit's the description of what the Bengals "need", to a tee.  He has starting experience at both Tackle spots, can fill in either side in the event of an injury.  With Jonah Williams on the shelf this year, they just need a bonafide swing man to be the 3rd game-ready Tackle.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 02:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure of that bolded part.  Gio has been forced into a RB1 situation a few times, over the years.  Every time he's asked to carry the load, he get's dinged up, as his body cannot take the pounding of being a 3 down back.  He is fantastic at what he is;  A 3rd down, change of pace back that is also a dynamic receiver.

As far as a player for player scenario, I think that seeing how the Falcon's lost their RB2, Telvin Campbell to injury, they are the team in need and obviously have to be the one's approaching the Bengals.  That would lead me to think that the leverage is in the Bengals court.  This might be a good time for the Bengals to find that 3rd starter capable Tackle, or to pick up another proven LB to complete that position group restructuring.

Now, we all know that player for player trades are rare these days.  So, for the Bengals it could be a chance to clear 4.5M in cap space, by getting something in return for Gio Bernard, as he will be UFA at the end of the season.  So, maybe clear cap and gain draft capitol for next year?

But he won’t be playing the Steelers and Ravens twice a year. That will make a difference.
Reply/Quote
As much as we Bengals fans like Gio he is a good 3rd down back. Falcons wouldnt trade backup quality OL for a 3rd down back.

If Atlanta offered a 5th for Gio it would be tempting but Gio has value as a veteran pass protector and solid receiver and runner...so it would give Williams and Anderson breathing room as they learned that particular aspect of the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 04:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, we're not going to get a high quality starter, in exchange for a RB2, in the first place.  However, if we could score a competent Swing Tackle, or Mid-Tier LB, or even some decent draft capitol, it's a win for the Bengals.

However, knowing how the Bengals FO looks at players that they drafted, they're likely trying to stick Atlanta up for a 2nd round pick, or their starting LT, or something as equally ridiculous...

Idk. Draft capital I’m not interested in because that sends a message that we’ll get em next year. Season hasn’t started. Must have immediate impact or why else make the trade? Gio has been solid. To get rid of him without a immediate impact player only weakens the team. That’s not what we want.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 06:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Idk. Draft capital I’m not interested in because that sends a message that we’ll get em next year. Season hasn’t started. Must have immediate impact or why else make the trade? Gio has been solid. To get rid of him without a immediate impact player only weakens the team. That’s not what we want.

I get what you are saying, but let's also keep another thing in mind.  Draft capitol is also trade currency, meaning that the Bengals can also use said capitol to aid in a potential deal with another team, who may have a player that may benefit them right now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 05:17 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: But he won’t be playing the Steelers and Ravens twice a year. That will make a difference.

You give the Ravens too much credit. As for the Steelers, we will own them from now on. ML was a Pittsburgh guy. Wait, I’m gonna say it, I don’t want to but gotta speak my gut. ML made sure the Steelers won most of the games. He’s a homeboy of Pittsburgh. He grew up in McDonald, Pennsylvania (clown). He also coached at university of Pittsburgh. Not to mention he was a coach for the Steelers.

Yet, we brought him to Cincinnati. He did some good things here (see what I did there)? But you just can’t have a record against a rival of 8-25 and not have an interest or tie with that organization (ok you can, but in this case I’m skeptical). 2 of the 7 playoff losses are against Pittsburgh.

He was a Trojan horse.

Thanks for the soapbox Bonnie. I needed to vent that stuff because I haven’t trusted him for a long time.

Reply/Quote