Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trade talks with Falcons?
(07-22-2019, 12:57 AM)Mint Berry Crunch Wrote: Lol I've been saying Marvin was a steelers double agent for years.

I assume we can lump every Browns HC and QB and GM in the past 20 or so years in there too, right?  In the AFC North, only the Ravens weren't actively jobbing to the Steelers.  Ouch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here is a link to Atlanta's current depth chart.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/ATL

if looking for OL help what kinda contract is Alex Mack on?    Slide Price to RG
Reply/Quote
It would be very surprising if the Falcons gave up any OL in a Gio trade. They spent the off season targeting improvement to a weak line and signed several guys. There was an article on it a month back or so saying how were happy with the changes they had made to improve the OL - so it would seem counter productive to trade an OL at this point.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
In as much as I've liked Gio over the years he's now pretty much expendable pending the success/failure of one Tayveon Williams at the position. Preseason may just make up the Bengal's minds if Williams blows everyone away. The only downside I see with Williams is maybe his lack of receiving production in college, but that's every bit as likely a result of the scheme he was used in.
Gio has by no means been anything resembling a liability for the team and in fact has been an asset, but he's definitely no younger that he once was AS IF any of us are, but those injuries over the years have done him no favors.. We'll see.. 
On the other hand how often do the Bengals actually trade players within the league? We can all count on one hand the number of high profile trades they've made since any of us were 8 years old.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 10:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We stuck with a double agent HC for 16 years...I'm thinking Mike Brown is on the Steelers payroll too. 

PB didn't exactly kick Chuck Noll's ass, year after year either.....
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 10:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: if looking for OL help what kinda contract is Alex Mack on?    Slide Price to RG

Mack has 2 years left on a 5 year/$45 mil deal.  He will also turn 34 during the season.

I personally think it could hurt Price's development by moving him around just to move back to C.  We also don't know if he's better than our other G's 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 11:07 AM)sandwedge Wrote: PB didn't exactly kick Chuck Noll's ass, year after year either.....

But at least he tried. We're not sure Marvin ever did that much.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 11:07 AM)sandwedge Wrote: PB didn't exactly kick Chuck Noll's ass, year after year either.....

That's why Walsh and Wyche had to eventually leave town under the gaze of Paul and Son of Paul...they wouldn't lie down for the Steelers.  Guys like Ken Anderson and Dick LeBeau would go so far as to go directly to the Steelers and help them win, rather than just stay here and do it.  And Marvin Lewis stuck around for a whopping 16 years because he was so good at lying down to the Steelers.

I have my fingers crossed that ZT is going to break the chain, but anyone who makes such a point to praise Bobby Hart can't be trusted to not be actively trying to lose to the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 10:43 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: It would be very surprising if the Falcons gave up any OL in a Gio trade. They spent the off season targeting improvement to a weak line and signed several guys. There was an article on it a month back or so saying how were happy with the changes they had made to improve the OL - so it would seem counter productive to trade an OL at this point.

Agree. I like the idea of Gio for a vet swing tackle in Sambriallo, but that would put the Falcons in the same boat as us, with no veteran backup tackle, which would undo a big piece of their offseason plans.

It’s a strange trade talk to have to begin with. They have a very similar player to Gio in Ito Smith, who is younger and cheaper and has a year in their system already.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 06:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You give the Ravens too much credit. As for the Steelers, we will own them from now on. ML was a Pittsburgh guy. Wait, I’m gonna say it, I don’t want to but gotta speak my gut. ML made sure the Steelers won most of the games. He’s a homeboy of Pittsburgh. He grew up in McDonald, Pennsylvania (clown). He also coached at university of Pittsburgh. Not to mention he was a coach for the Steelers.

Yet, we brought him to Cincinnati. He did some good things here (see what I did there)? But you just can’t have a record against a rival of 8-25 and not have an interest or tie with that organization (ok you can, but in this case I’m skeptical). 2 of the 7 playoff losses are against Pittsburgh.

He was a Trojan horse.

Thanks for the soapbox Bonnie. I needed to vent that stuff because I haven’t trusted him for a long time.

Wow, that is an interesting take.  I'll have to think about that one.  I only think it's possible if the Rooney's were paying him.  I don't think loyalty to Pittsburgh would do it.  He did win a SB in Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 12:08 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Wow, that is an interesting take.  I'll have to think about that one.  I only think it's possible if the Rooney's were paying him.  I don't think loyalty to Pittsburgh would do it.  He did win a SB in Baltimore.

Yes, but Mike Brown had to be in on it if he kept Marvin as the HC for 16 years.  I suppose it is no accident that Marvin could win 10-12 games in the regular season and then automatically lose in the wild card round no matter what.  Are we sure Dalton can be counted out of this whole double-agent thing based upon his shoddy statlines in games that matter most?

Did Carson Palmer demand a trade because he found out that Marvin Lewis had paid Kimo to take out his knee in 2005? Oh man, we're heading down the rabbit hole now!
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 12:34 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Doubt it; Hobson was hinting at an extension for Bernard.

It's possible, and that could also just be a ploy to drive up the trade value. It's certainly something I would do.
Reply/Quote

He won the afc central twice in eight years. From 1933 to 1971 the Steelers were first only once(1947). Paul Brown was winning consistently with Cleveland during this period. 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 01:01 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He won the afc central twice in eight years. From 1933 to 1971 the Steelers were first only once(1947). Paul Brown was winning consistently with Cleveland during this period. 

He was 4-8 with an expansion against the Steelers team and the Steelers won two SBs and had a steroid dependent team during this stretch.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 12:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, but Mike Brown had to be in on it if he kept Marvin as the HC for 16 years.  I suppose it is no accident that Marvin could win 10-12 games in the regular season and then automatically lose in the wild card round no matter what.  Are we sure Dalton can be counted out of this whole double-agent thing based upon his shoddy statlines in games that matter most?

Did Carson Palmer demand a trade because he found out that Marvin Lewis had paid Kimo to take out his knee in 2005? Oh man, we're heading down the rabbit hole now!

I do think Mike Brown could be bought. Imagine if the Steelers have been paying him all these years to lose
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 10:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: if looking for OL help what kinda contract is Alex Mack on?    Slide Price to RG

He's got two years left on the 5 year free agency deal he signed in 2016.  The yearly cash isn't bad (8 and 8.5M), but he also has 2.3M of prorated signing bonus factored into his cap hit, each year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/alex-mack-5583/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 04:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, he had a 67 PFF grade last year.  Give that as much or as little credence as you wish.

The linked article says he played well at RT for the Falcons and their FO was comfortable with him as the starting RT for this year, but it wouldn't stop them from taking an OT high in the draft.  They wound up nabbing McGary, which would potentially make him expendable.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/4/4/18295272/ty-sambrailo-wont-stop-the-falcons-from-drafting-the-right-tackle-of-the-future-nfl-draft-2019

I would say he probably falls into that realm of serviceable starter/quality backup.

I remember Sambrailo in the 2015 draft. I didn't think he was really any different than Ogbuehi and Fisher. Similar strengths and weaknesses, but he didn't play at as prestigious of a program. He's played probably better than both Ogbuehi and Fisher in their careers but he still hasn't done great. From everything I've read, he's still athletic but his short arms and lack of power in the run game are still issues. I don't think he fits the scheme the Bengals are looking to do. With that said, I'd still probably prefer him over Sutherland or Perkins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 02:12 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I do think Mike Brown could be bought.  Imagine if the Steelers have been paying him all these years to lose

If the Steelers sweep us this year we will know Zac Tayor is in on it, too.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 07:11 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Kinda like the Patriots, once they put their hands in our RB cookie jar and see how good they are, they come back for more!!!!  :andy:  Hilarious

LOL Sadly, my thoughts were if he hits the open market next year, he'd be in NE!!
Reply/Quote
I love a good conspiracy theory but is it possible Marvin was just a victim of the Peter principle? Now if we found out that Corey Dillon was the remote pilot of United Flight 11 we might have something there.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote